• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

300l Wapoga River

sanj

I havent really got off to a good start on this tank picture wise. I was not sure if I would do a journal and so I have not really documented the initial start up very well, but I guess most of you have seen it all before so it is nothing new really.

I set this tank up at the begining of February 2014 and then for 2 1/2 weeks its was left to its own devises while I swanned off to Thailand... :happy:

Anyway the name is derived a river in Indonesia (West Papua province or formerly Irian Jaya) where the key fish habitants are found:

Melanotaenia sp. "Wapoga" ( looks like a red striped M. praecox, but is not the same species).
Chilatherina alleni "Wapoga"

In no way shape of form have I attempted to source flora specific to that river, probably next to impossible and rather dull.

I havent even tried to scape a river bed, it is very much lifted of a classic Amano design.

The details:

Tank: NA 120cm x 50cm x 55cm
Lighting: Metis Hyperion 8 channel led (from Pacific Sun led) 150 watt.
Filtration: Aquamanta Efx 400
Additional flow: 2x Hydor Koralia 1600s
CO2: 2kg bottle with a Sera reactor.
O2: Rena air pump that comes on over night
Substrate: ADA aquasoil, over alfagrog in filter bags, A blend of Nile and La Plata sand.
Hardscape: Manzanita and Yamaya stone
Additional nonsense (possibly): Twinstar Nano :p

Plants:
Lagenandra thwaitesii
Lagenandra meaboldii (red)
Cryptocoryne affinis
Cryptocoryne legroi
Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
Needle leaf java fern (short version)
Hymenasplenum obscurum (its a fern)
Bucephalandra (many types most obvious being Dark and Green Achilles)
Polygonum sp. Sao Paulo
Potomogeton gayii
Weeping moss
Java Moss (was supposed to be Xmas).
Some others I currently cant recall...

Fauna:
Melanotaenia sp. "Wapoga"
Chilatherina alleni "Wapoga"
Otocinclus sp.
Blue neocaridinia shrimp.

Ok so as I said I did not document the start up properly and managed to take a series of blurred photos (sorry) but you can get the gist...

soilretainers_zpse0c40845.jpg

I used one of those plastic flappy doorstrips as a substrate divider secured with tape:
Clear Flexible PVC Door Strip Curtain 100mm x 2mm x 1 metre length items in Flexible Trading store on eBay!

Yamaya stones, I really liked the feel of these, not dramatic in themselves, but works well when used to complement other hardscape. No fancy ground breaking scaping here, but my primary aim is a nice environment for some very rare rainbowfish. At this point in time I think I am the only person in the country with M. sp "Wapoga" and I know of only one other who keeps this C. alleni strain. I have been raising these fish from fry since June 2013. They are F1 generation.

Yamayastones_zps6ceab6d2.jpg

So, yes dont get too excited.

Anyway big gap as I got a little disheartened with several issues (albeit minor ones) with my NA tank. The short of it was I had to empty a filled and scaped tank in order to remove an inadequate number of "feet" at the bottom of the tank.

Off I went to Thailand (excellent country), came back and well this is the current state of things:
4weeks_zpse6a6413c.jpg

There is a bit of algae, but nothing disasterous yet.

Light duration is 8 hours, but 3 of these are ramp up/down and 5 hours ate 25% output. I think PAR was in the 30-40 range, but I will need to re-check.

Attachments

• soilretainers_zpse0c40845.jpg
    soilretainers_zpse0c40845.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Yamayastones_zps6ceab6d2.jpg
    Yamayastones_zps6ceab6d2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 4weeks_zpse6a6413c.jpg
    4weeks_zpse6a6413c.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
to make an strict biotope with too many plant species..... imo is almost imposible...but we do what we can !
really nice setup, it promises a lot !!

can i ask the glass thicknes of your tank?

Bookmarked:hungry:

Thanks for the kind comments.

As you may have guessed I am rainbowfish with plant garnish centric and not aquascapes only or fish only focussed. So I realise that I sometimes struggle with the aesthetic balance.

Anyway I yesterday I introduced the M.sp. "Wapoga". The adult (or still sub-adults) males are still less than 2" and are 9 months old. They have not fully developed their colours yet. I am not sure how big they will get but probably 2" at most.

Girl:
MspWapoga_4_zps1ef342d7.jpg

Boy:
MspWapoga_3_zpscc0e4998.jpg

Boy and blurry Girl (I did it on purpose, she's ugly... or maybe im just a bad photographer :p):
MspWapoga_2_zpsd9dc2438.jpg

In their little world...
MspWapoga_6_zps56ae1f6b.jpg

Attachments

• MspWapoga_3_zpscc0e4998.jpg
    MspWapoga_3_zpscc0e4998.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 177
  • MspWapoga_4_zps1ef342d7.jpg
    MspWapoga_4_zps1ef342d7.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 132
  • MspWapoga_2_zpsd9dc2438.jpg
    MspWapoga_2_zpsd9dc2438.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 159
  • MspWapoga_6_zps56ae1f6b.jpg
    MspWapoga_6_zps56ae1f6b.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Very nice system, biotopes can be really hard to stick with but yours is off to a great start.

Any news Sanj? This must have grown in beautifully by now :cool:

Anything? :wideyed:

Back