• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

320l Discus tank, becoming planted !

Not to Hijack the thread but here is my holding bottle. Air line comes in through the bottom of the bottle. Cone shape helps mix the solution better so it doesn't settle anywhere. No air stone just the inline with a non-return valve so the solution doesn't go back into the pump. Hole at the top of the bottle for filling with a funnel and for dosing tube.

pict0003af5.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Tonser said:
No problem Paulo - thanks for posting it :D

I'm just trying to work it out though :oops: IS the main bottle with the solution in, inverted in a half bottle, with a hole drilled in the cap for the airline to go through ?

Tony

Drilled cap with the air tube siliconed into it. Then then I cut up another bottle in half and there is a hole at the bottom for the air tube, its just to hold the main bottle which is inverted into its place :)
I am not very good at explaining all this stuff lol I should have done a step by step hehe

Tonser said:
Makes perfect sense now Paulo - does the airline mix up the solution enough before dosing ?

Tony

I used it to mix the solution when I made it, there was a couple of inches of powder at the bottom of the bottle and it mixed them up very fast indeed. I have not used the air pump since as I wanted to try it first without it to see how it did. So far it seems to be working fine. I have placed the dosing tube right at the bottom of the bottle.

Tony forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think you said somewhere that you had to get a new motor for you're sp3000 dosing pump. If this is correct, can you tell me where you got it from, and is it easy to fit?

Hi Tourney

I've got a new pump on order, but its been on order for 3 weeks so far !! Once it arrives, they are very simple to fit.

Mine is ordered from http://www.fishfurfeather.com, but I've just looked for the link and they've removed the listing :wideyed: Hopefully they're just out of stock.

In theory, any Aqua Medic dealer can order their spares.

Tony

Morning all

Thought I'd update with some new pics :D

I've had a little change around in the tank, mainly over the right hand side, with the redmoor moving across, and the vallis flowing through it. I've moved the spraybars to the top left and right sides, so the right hand one fires along the surface from right to left, and the left hand one fires down at 45 degrees from left to right. Theres also a Koralia 2 hidden in the top right corner. Seems to planty of movement throughout the tank now :D

The Blyxa has really started to take, as has the Rotala Rotundifolia, Ceratopteris thalictroides and the Limnophilia. The HC never took hold in the sand - the corys just uprooted it all the time, so that has gone. Theres a few bunches of Lilaepsis which seem to be taking hold, and a couple of clumps of Uticularia Graminifolia which are also doing OK. These carpeting plants seem to have struggled in this tank, so I'm hoping the improved flow will help them along.

I have a full rescape in mind now, so once the new tank arrives I may move everything out of this one and redo it. Until then its a great for just planting things and seeing how they grow :D

Cheers

Tony

20090316_DiscusTank.jpg

20090316_Discus_1.jpg

20090316_Discus_2.jpg

20090316_Rummy_1.jpg

Just a couple of new pics from tonight, as its been a couple of months :D

The Blyxa has really taken off - its a plant that really seems to like dicsus tanks. Its due a trim now, so I'll split it down and spread it out a bit I think. The limnophilia on the left side is also growing at a pace :D

The Bolbitis on the right hand side, has finally started to produce new leaves - it didnt seem to grow for ages, but now is doing well :D The various carpet plants I've tried in there havent taken at all - lileaposis, pogostemon helferi, and UG have all struggled, and the e tennellus in the middle has never grown above about 40mm, and grows very slowly. I've added a Koralia to the lower left hand side to get the flow returning along the bottom of the tank so I'll see if that helps.

Please excuse the state of the front of the tank - it needs a clean up. :oops:

Tony

Discus_MUS1163.jpg

Discus_MUS1165.jpg

Discus_MUS1169.jpg

Discus_MUS1170.jpg

Wow, is all I can say, that really is coming along well.

I am one that does like the effect of the roots coming down, I have it like that on my Malawi tank and the fish seem to appreciate it a lot - I'm sure your Discus do too.

Looking great Tony, that Blyxa is coming along very nicely, shame mine doesn't grow at all haha Loving the tank and the Discus must be well pleased with their home ;) some nice shadows for them too.

The difference in this tank is amazing! Fab blyxa!

I love your discus too, and your photography. Keep those pictures coming...

Interesting you keep shrimp with discus... I would have assumed they'd be eaten!

Thanks guys and gals :D

hellohefalump said:
Interesting you keep shrimp with discus... I would have assumed they'd be eaten!

Hi Helena - the amanos are all quite big now (45mm+) so the discus dont bother them. I did try some cherries in there a year or so ago, but they disappeared within a couple of days :( Though there was alot less plant life in there back then for them to hide in.

SteveUK said:
Will be interested to see what you do with all that new redmoor wood you bought on Saturday

Haha, thats for the other tank (and the stuff in this tank might be joining it too :wideyed: ;) :D ). That said its soaking now as when I tested it, it floated - just as well George decided not to use it on Sunday :lol: I got a rock or two at the weekend so I have a few scaping options :D

I'm going to have a big tidy up in here tomorrow, so I'll post some fresh pics after that.

Cheers

Tony

This tank is absolutely beautiful,for me,one of the nicest I have seen.Don't know if it's the discus or what,but just the overall effect is stunning,I bet you could sit and watch it for hours,visitors must be well impressed!!

Hi Tonser,
I have a planted Discus tank too and I would like to know your fert-dosing and maintenance regime.

Tank is beautiful, Discus look realy healthy too ;)
I love the Santarem best, they look kinda way natural, wild

Back