• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

320l Discus tank, becoming planted !

Hi tony,I must say you are a fast learner this is going from strength to strength,the discus look in superb health,take a look at Plymouth discus for their discus food variety,
Regards john

Hey Tony, nice to meet you the other day! ;) I have to say, I've always liked this tank from the day you posted it, it's got an instant likeness to it. As John said, it's going from strength to strength so keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Goodygumdrops said:
This tank is absolutely beautiful,for me,one of the nicest I have seen.Don't know if it's the discus or what,but just the overall effect is stunning,I bet you could sit and watch it for hours,visitors must be well impressed!!

Thanks Goody :D Yep, it does tend to grab visitors attention a little when they walk in !

Jur4ik said:
I have a planted Discus tank too and I would like to know your fert-dosing and maintenance regime.

Hi Ju4ik, pleased you like it :D The maintenance is an automated water change system, changing about 20% of the volume every morning using RO prepared water. This is done by 6am when the CO2 clicks on. Dosing is done around 8am and lights on from 9am to 5pm.

I dose using a variation of the All In One Solution from James Planted Tank (the plantedtank.co.uk). I've been doing it for 3 months, now and have tweaked the mix month by month, so I am now mixing this:

175g KNO3
54g K2SO4
303g MgSO4
33g KH2PO4
27g Trace
2g E300 Asorbic Acid
1g E202 Potassium Sorbate

into 1400ml RO water, and dose 60ml per day ( I found I had to up the dosage from 40ml daily, due to the 20% daily w/c )

john starkey said:
Hi tony,I must say you are a fast learner this is going from strength to strength,the discus look in superb health,take a look at Plymouth discus for their discus food variety,
Regards john

Hi John, thanks mate ! Great to meet you at the weekend, and sorry I left without saying bye, I couldnt find you ! Thanks for the reminder on the discus food from Plymouth, I might order some in and give it a go. :D

rawr said:
Hey Tony, nice to meet you the other day! I have to say, I've always liked this tank from the day you posted it, it's got an instant likeness to it. As John said, it's going from strength to strength so keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Thanks Thomas - good to meet you too :D

Tony

Hi Tony, your tank is looking sweet and those discus look like happy big bad boys! I'm still amazed by the "behind the scenes" area, that must have taken some serious thinking about, mind blowing :wideyed:

Dan Crawford said:
Hi Tony, your tank is looking sweet and those discus look like happy big bad boys! I'm still amazed by the "behind the scenes" area, that must have taken some serious thinking about, mind blowing

Cheers Dan

Its been a while since I've updated this thread, as the tank has just been going along on its own, doing its thing ! I grabbed a couple of snaps this morning, when I was checking a piece of stone that might go in a rescape soon, so just thought I'd post 'em up.

The tank is in an open plan area with full height windows, and no curtains, so it needs to be shot at night really for blackout, but these'll give you an idea of where its at. Its also set into the wall, so no chance of lighting it properly either :rolleyes: :D

Theres not really any structure to this at the minute, as I tend to just add plants to it to see how they go, but, there are areas I'm really liking :D The peacock moss ( thanks Heather :D ) is really beautiful, it just looks so soft and luxurious, so I'm going to do more with that soon. The anubias and bolbitis ( cheers Dan :) ) are working well together in the roots too, along with the leggy blyxa coming up amongst them - I really like this area of the tank :D

Discus_MUS1956.jpg

Discus_MUS1957.jpg

The Blyxa loves it in there, and just keeps on growing ! The left hand side is a bit of a 'storage area' at the minute, with a variety of crypts, and the Limnophilia hanging around in there :D

The lump of seiryu stone you see below, was to be main stone in a planned rescape, but having placed it in there this morning its just not big enough - and its 6.5kg :wideyed: :twisted: :D

Discus_MUS1951.jpg

Discus_MUS1953.jpg

Cheers

Tony

A tank of 2 halfs.

the right side is wicked tony, maybe just removing the stone would help improve the left hand side?.....even your quick snaps are brilliant :lol: damn you man!

I really like the right hand side too. It's progressed great! :)

A Discus Iwagumi? That's a new one... :p

Thanks Dan, and Gill :D

saintly said:
the right side is wicked tony, maybe just removing the stone would help improve the left hand side?.....even your quick snaps are brilliant damn you man

The stone was only in there for half an hour Mark - I just wanted to see the scale of it in the tank. Theres a clear sand area for the corys underneath where it was sitting. The quick snaps arent so good if you saw them hires - lots of reflections, and lots of floaty stuff in the water - mainly old blyxa :?

rawr said:
A Discus Iwagumi? That's a new one...

The thought has crossed my mind Thomas, but I'm not convinced yet, plus I've nowhere to house the discus if I was to do a full rescape.

I might just do the left in the same style as the right though ;)

This discus tank is gorgeous. I'd just take out the rock and put more Blyxa.

Looks great. The right side is particularly impressive.

Hi Tony, I like the right side and I think the left side would look nice if it was similar,
regards john.

Thanks Lij and John - I agree :D

In fact, tonight I pulled all the crypts and all of the blyxa out and cleaned up all the sand :wideyed:

I had a nice piece of redmoor to add to the top left, and tied Bolbitis, peacock moss and an anubias to it. Then spent 4 hours trimming and cleaning (there was some hair algae on it) the Blyxa, to give me 100 stems, which are now planted in an arc, with a clear sand area in the centre. I also added the cryptys in and around it too, with Balansae at the back, and some parva at the front.

Pics in the morning, but now I'm sitting down with a beer, and letting the sideboard recover from me kneeling on it all evening :lol:

I only reused about half the blyxa, so the other half is available in the For Sale section :D

Tony

Your photography always makes everything seem as though its a true landscape... the lighting is incredible.

And give me those rasboras!!! :lol: beautiful.

Back