• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

350L low tech tank algae problems

Hi all,

I dosed 35ml of TPN+ last Wednesday evening, I plan to do a dose of 30ml tomorrow to adjust for substrate volume. I haven't cleaned the algae off since the photos and I can't say I've noticed any changes in algae growth since dosing.

I now have a selection of floating plants thanks to Darrel. Having these in the tank does seem to suggest I may have some flow issues, as all of the plants congregate at either end of the tank. Can anyone suggest a good article for achieving good flow?

What do you all think to using the crushed oyster shell I linked to? In terms of additional plants, do I want fast or slow growers?

Thanks,

Dan

After dosing last night, i have lost two corys today :( i forgot to mention i lost another cory after dosing last week too. my plan this week is to dose two lots of 15ml, however it doesn't seem to have helped.

Any idea if the deaths are linked to dosing?

Hi drooke
drooke said:
Any idea if the deaths are linked to dosing?
This is highly unlikely (especially after the amounts I've chucked in my tanks in the past :rolleyes: ).
I use nearly double that dose, per week, on my 95l low tech tank, and have done for more than 2 years. Fish still bombing along nicely :D

Fish all seem nice and happy at the moment. My BBA problem has subsided however I now have a problem with green dust algae.

After cleaning all the glass on saturday, removing most of the floating plants and doing a big water change there is already algae growth on the glass (mostly at the top) and a dusting on the substrate. I have now only really got a few floating plants and some big amazon swords (covered in the algae).

I'd really like to crack these algae problems as I'm getting quite fed up with it! Please can anyone offer any help?

Hi all,
I have now only really got a few floating plants and some big amazon swords (covered in the algae).
You need to retain your plant mass, reducing it makes you are likely to get more algae. The green algae have exactly the same photosynthetic pigments as the mosses, ferns and higher plants, so if they get enough light they can make use of all the same nutrients as your plants
I know that the sand I have can become anaerobic. Is this a big issue for plant growth? It's the best substrate I've personally experienced, although previously I had pea gravel. Obviously changing substrate is quite a big undertaking and fairly costly, would prefer to avoid.
If you have Amazon Sword it is unlikely that your substrate will be anaerobic, they have enormous root systems.
The room the tank is in does get a lot of natural light outside of the normal photoperiod for the tank. I know this can't be helping but I don't have an alternative location.
Some of my tanks are in bay windows (although facing NW), and it just allows them to support a big plant load.

tank_backoflab.jpg

I'm not interested in aquascaping, so I let the plants and floaters grow until they fill most of the available space.

cheers Darrel

As a total noob to this my understanding from reading is plant mass, that means planting 'at least' 80% of the tank with plants, initially with fast growing stem plants, then you can start redesigning slowly. The only other option I do is to add Easy Carbo daily and dose npk on a water change.

Currently the algae have nothing to compete with and as Darrel said he leaves his plants to fill the space this will prevent the formation of algae.

So more plants loads of 'em. :D

Geoff

I removed most of the floating plants due to the fact they were almost completely covering the surface, with the exception of around the filter outlet, and it's quite a large area to cover in this tank. Around the filter outlet, plants were getting pushed under other plants a few layers deep and so were rotting away. Perhaps I shouldn't have removed so many though.

I suspect that the Amazon Swords aren't doing that well considering they're covered in the algae. They don't seem to be growing as fast as they have. And you're right about the size of their root systems, they're huge.

So perhaps it is just a case of the volume of plants as you suggest. I never had such algae problems with my previous smaller tank which probably had a higher plant density and located in the same position.

If I were to purchase some more plants, should I be looking at buying fast growers or a range of growing speeds? I have used a few suppliers before and sourced plants from UKAPS classifieds too, but can anyone suggest some suppliers for good quality plants? I know Tropica plants are very popular on here, but I am a little unwilling to spend so much when they might just end up covered in algae and die off.

Thanks for the replies,

Dan

drooke said:
I removed most of the floating plants due to the fact they were almost completely covering the surface, with the exception of around the filter outlet, and it's quite a large area to cover in this tank. Around the filter outlet, plants were getting pushed under other plants a few layers deep and so were rotting away. Perhaps I shouldn't have removed so many though.

I suspect that the Amazon Swords aren't doing that well considering they're covered in the algae. They don't seem to be growing as fast as they have. And you're right about the size of their root systems, they're huge.

So perhaps it is just a case of the volume of plants as you suggest. I never had such algae problems with my previous smaller tank which probably had a higher plant density and located in the same position.

If I were to purchase some more plants, should I be looking at buying fast growers or a range of growing speeds? I have used a few suppliers before and sourced plants from UKAPS classifieds too, but can anyone suggest some suppliers for good quality plants? I know Tropica plants are very popular on here, but I am a little unwilling to spend so much when they might just end up covered in algae and die off.

Thanks for the replies,

Dan

I purchased a 70cl mixed box from Aqua Essentials, more than enough for my 50l cube and the quality was excellent, as I have no idea about plants (as yet) then having someone else doing the selection just made it easier. They will also offer advice if you drop them an email.
The algae will die off once you've got some heavier planting and some extra water changes, the Easy Carbo won't go amiss either. As yet my cube is only 3 weeks and I've had nothing, other than surface scum and small out break of diatoms, both of which are normal on new start.

Really interesting reading through your journal, just to state this from the start im no tank master :)

I have a low tech 300ltr tank which i started nearly 3 months ago and touch wood my algae problems have been very low thus far. The main difference i can see between our tanks is i have a much higher plant mass, which im still increasing. Plus my lighting is considerably less 80w t8 for 5 hours a day.

My growth is slow but steady and im constantly trimming (haha if you read my journal you will see that nothing in my tank was planned its just evolving) Currently I have mainly anubias, crypts and enchondorus plus some vallis which are sweeping across the top helping to lower light intensity. I also added some frogbit to further shade the tank. The plants still seem to be growing :) I also use tpn+ about 10ml twice a week.

I too struggle with the little to zero water changes, especially as the fish waiste builds up, but im sticking with it. I change roughly 20% every two weeks mainly through gravel cleaning, and i have not really noticed any algae blooms after a water change.

Constantly learning, in that spirit I bought d.walstads book , im not gonna lie i wish there were a few more pictures :lol:

If i do manage to retain any knowledge from it (after probably a few reads) then i will post any tips :D

Not sure how helpful my ramblings are but if you are like me its just good to know people are trying to get your back :)

Thanks for the feedback. So I've been busy sourcing a fair few plants off others members, these should arrive this week all being well and I can get them in the tank. It probably still won't get me to the levels you all have, but it's a step in the right direction. I'll post some photos when it's all planted.

geaves: I did look at Aqua Essentials but they still seem quite expensive to me. I know the quality is good off the forum so I went down that route hoping I'll get more for my money. I've spent about £40 so far.

somethingfishy: You've reminded me not to do water changes, as discussed earlier in the thread. I have been good at not doing them, but I forgot last time and did about a 30% water change. I'll probably still siphon some off to clean the substrate and to aid with filter maintenance, but I shall try and keep it down.

I have to admit I've been quite lax keeping up with the TPN+ dosing. How much of effect does this have? If the algae is growing at such a fast rate as it is, doesn't this mean there is plenty of nutrients in the water that plants can use?

Here's hoping that the additional plants will start to bring the algae under control.

since the last time we spoke bud, i have been advised by a few peeps on here that the no water change method is maybe not the best way forward!!
I have read troi's thread in the low tech and have found it really helpful, i posted a thread on here about water changes and would reccomend reading that. It was titled 'definitive answers are they possible' i will bump it so you can find it easily. I beginning to think the real key to lowtech is the lighting to be just enough to grow plants but not encourage to much growth to the point that the lack of masses of c02 will subsequently cause algae.

Just my opinion, will bump that other post now think it will help

Hi all,
You've reminded me not to do water changes, as discussed earlier in the thread. I have been good at not doing them, but I forgot last time and did about a 30% water change. I'll probably still siphon some off to clean the substrate and to aid with filter maintenance, but I shall try and keep it down.
I'd carry on with the water changes I think they are entirely beneficial, in fact we have had this earlier in the thread <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopi...571&hilit=walstad+water+change+darrel#p150571> & <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17798&p=182828&hilit=water+change+darrel#p182828>.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I shall keep up the water changes as you have suggested.

Had the plants in for a couple of weeks now. I haven't added as many as planned due to Royal Mail losing the biggest package. I think there is a reasonable amount though. The plants seems to be doing well, although it is a little difficult to spot new growth with the rate of GDA growth.

This GDA growth is still a major problem. All of the glass gets covered in a couple of weeks and it also affects the plants, stones and even the sand substrate! Just clearing the algae off the glass is a very temporary fix.

A bit of research shows that taking the removed algae out of the tank when cleaning will reduce it's regrowth rate, as they are spores that just reattach. People also suggest lower lighting and to maintain ferts dosing. Apparently the algae should start turning red after a couple of weeks and then die off itself. I have found only a tiny amount turns red, but it doesn't die off.

This algae is really annoying now, I want rid!

Here a photo from this morning after a glass clean yesterday:

12052012.JPG

Is that BGA between your glass and substrate?

If so then this is due to lack of nitrogen which coincidentally is how you get GDA to go red (starve it of nitrogen and it will turn into red spores). Maybe this is the source of your problems?

drooke said:
I have to admit I've been quite lax keeping up with the TPN+ dosing. How much of effect does this have? If the algae is growing at such a fast rate as it is, doesn't this mean there is plenty of nutrients in the water that plants can use?

Dose daily when you feed the fish. You have to have nutrients available ALL the time.

Not sure what the algae is below the substrate to be honest. It's never really concerned me too much.

So does the GDA need to turn red prior to removing it? I have just cleaned it off again after another big build up. This time I have tried to remove as much of it from the tank as I can. As I understand it now, if the spores stay in the tank then it will all start over again by cleaning it off the glass and hence releasing the spores.

If anyone can recommend any good GDA articles with a consistent message, that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

hey Dan, Do you clean the tank before water change? This is the best way as removes the spores from the tank after you loosen them. I would also advise not letting it build up for a big clean, better to give the glass etc a scrub every other day and take a little water out. If you do this consistently for a few weeks then the algae will diminish..
GDA it is cause by a lack of phosphates, so missing dosing your ferts will only make this worse also.
Consistent tank maintenance is the key to beating algae, it will thrive on irregularity as plants are slower to adapt than algae.
Its a pain but worth it mate.

Hi Iain,

Yes I normally clean and then water change, but not today as I have some filter work to do which I'm waiting on a part for. Today I just cleaned the glass, removing the algae from the tank.

I did also dose the TPN+ today and I've set reminders to do this twice a week - hopefully this will help me be more regular at this.

I shall also try your more regular cleaning approach.

Do people think I still need to increase my plant mass?

Thanks,

Dan

Have you thought about algae eaters, otocinclus, ancistrus for example?

Snails?

Not sure about shrimp pending the fish but if you could they might help. Doesnt solve the cause but helps keeping it in check?

Back