• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3ft Bogwood + Anubias tank

Verminator

Righto in the next month or two (finances permitting) I shall be crashing my 3ft tank as it is and starting afresh due to serious neglect and BBA issues over last 12 months. Now my life is freeing up a little bit again i have time to rededicate myself back to my breeding Dempseys and i shall be creating a sandy haven with root like wood branching down from top to bottom. I plan to have many many anubias attatched to these too.

The system will be as follows;
3ft Juwel Rio 180 (180L)
2x 30W T8 (low light, only anubias to cater for)
Photoperiod will be 7-8 hours
No CO2.

I will however dose Easylife EasyCarbo & Easylife ProFito. My question is how much aught i dose and how often of each, also do any of the pro's reccomend anything else to dose thats advisable? I have a habbit of over dosing ferts on my own accord and tend to have a nice layer of green algae on my rocks + glass at best 8)

Sounds pretty much like what I have in mind for my nano :D
Depending on your fish load you might have to dose NPK. You could mix up a batch of James' AllInOne, without the traces, as you already have ProFito. Then just dose a bit at water change. Remember it's mostly about watching your plants and let them tell you what they need, which is a lot easier on low tech tanks.

Verminator said:
Anyone got any suggestions as to removing BBA on wood safely?

Veriminator - Hi

Well if your pulling your tank down completely - give the wood a damm good scubbing with a nail brush and leave out side to dry out - pre soak it at a later date prior to adding it into your new setup.

Regards
Paul.

bleach it, use fragrance free bleach.

then rinse it a few times under cold water, this should wash away most of the chlorine, and leave it in the sun, chlorine is broken down by the sun.

Might sound daft. Any particular technique to apply the bleach onto the wood? Sounds daft even typing that but with bleach i'm really quite terrified. Bleach gives me the heebijeebies :p I'm thinking bleach+water solution 1:10 ratio applied with either a pippete, small brush, or just pour it in. Maybe soak it in? Soaking worries me, more in the wood and potentially more still in to soak out back into the tank?

YIKES

No need any chemicals,bleach what sold in shops are not clean chlorine bleach - there over 80% other dangerous chemicals. Simply boil in hot water or rinse in hot boiled water and all algea, micro organisms e.g. will be dead. After rinse, clean under tap water.
Other good option hydrogen peroxide, also good for plant desinfection-cleaning.

Best Regards,

Ha! How i never thought of boiling water i'll never know. Genious :) I got so caught up in thinking "Oh god this BBA is bad i need overkill" i completely overlooked the simple things. Thanks, thats put me at ease being reminded of the simpple + safe option.

The other thing is to don your gloves and give it a scrub with neat Easycarbo, then a damn good rinse! Algae can be very persistent so i'd try a few different methods. One of the modertors/experts with the knowledge on BBA structure and weaknesses would be the person to tell you!
Cheers!
M

Back