• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3rd Time Lucky 45p

Just a confirmation that your Microsorum is not planted into the soil?
- the rhizome should have good flow around it
Wow thanks for all that info mate and advice, i think i have planted it actually i only didnt plant the buce and anubias, k will take it out today and find somewere for it, even though i wanted rear right of tank long stems but will have to be done.

Cheers for advice
And i will ramp lights up once co2 and that on sorted.

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I think you need some stems in any case they really help to stablise the tank
If you want the fern at the back there is a trick of gluing the rizome to a rock and then dripping it where you want it placed
Cheers
Jay

even though i wanted rear right of tank long stems but will have to be don
Just tie it to small stone (or wood etc) and place it back in that corner :)

one of my favourite Jurijs mit JS videos

If it’s Microsorum pteropus/ M p ‘Narrow’ - both are pretty sturdy

(adding a suction cup to the stone will allow you to easily move the Microsorum about if you like)

As always ;) I’ll suggest trimming back your lovely moss clumps (bonus you can use the trim to start more moss :cool:)

Love the top down view :wideyed:

(confirming your Microsorum is attached to rock or wood? Which variant is it?)

Hi Alto, is there any specific reason to trim the moss at start up?

I glued it onto a stone thanks for that

What temp do you all set tank at mine is curretly 26 and i am going to fot i line diffuser and larger filter tomorrow and give a good clean and remove the sand and plant more hair grass and maybe anubias if pets at home have it in.

Anyone have the twinstar light adjuster ? I have set it to come on at 12 and off at 17.00 but come down this morning and lights were on and apparently not been on during day.

I have no1 12.00 set at 30 percent
Then no2 17.00 set at 0 percent but must be doing soemthing wrong will have a good look tomorro.

Thanks dean

have no1 12.00 set at 30 percent
Then no2 17.00 set at 0 percent

Draw a diagram (as shown in Jurijs mit JS video)
Both start and finish points must be 0% - else you’re asking light to do a slow ramp between your present 0% @ 17:00 and 30% @ 12:00

Your present light program should look more like this
1 12:00 0%
2 12:30 30%
3 17:30 30%
4 18:00 0%

Note the ONF Flat Nano + app works slightly differently, you really need to set up a (short time period) test program and watch what happens

Thanks alto i will look later and get a setup with ramp up and down over 6 hours a day at 75 pecent intensity.

Well this mornong i fitted new filter and inline diffuser and removed all sand best i could, still need to adjust soil and add more hair grass, took longer than i thought and there isnt a mm in my cabinet to spare now at high bps my drop checker is still dark green i am not sure if i need to purchase some more i case this drop checker solution is off in some way.

I will check for leaks again soon but my drop checker should be light green/yellow at the bps i am putting in.

Here are some pics.
Thanks dean
e28530915855fcd9d773ca5a43a546a4.jpg
a95d16e67751a574c14de563dc15b3a2.jpg

In certain lights looks green and the small drops of solution go yellow that are on the drop checker from when i poured solution in.

12291e2996ee11f65fb5d8eae94e644f.jpg

05bb52ca165a0d6e157b72457a296507.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update

what a mess on removing sand as once added soil it i would have rather have had rocks higher but happier with it now added anubias and 2 pots of hair grass.

Ph as follows and i am going to order some drop checker solution as looks yellow in certain lights but very dark so hard to tell.
471a8d1ba9887de2bba1f685ac52966e.jpg
7dcb39aff355d6ffc8237a8212bc270d.jpg
03f248de17f88bb2571d7289c8496354.jpg

Got lights on 80 percent now and ordered some drop checker solution.

Temp at 22 degrees C

Should plants be adjusted after a week to underwater conditions ? I am sure plants were pearling yesterday by end of photo period. Set lights to following

30% - 12.00
50% - 12.30
80% - 13.00
50% - 18.00
30% - 18.30
0% - 19.00 there after.

Still not going to dose any ferts, i had some white looking algae on the wood so cleaned with toothbrush and now doing water change every other day.

Any other recomendations
Thanks dean

Please put that light at full blast,

0% - 12
100% - 12.30
100%- 18.30
0% - 19.00

You could dose liquid carbon and put some snails to help with diatoms if you Want to.

Cheers

Please put that light at full blast,

0% - 12
100% - 12.30
100%- 18.30
0% - 19.00

You could dose liquid carbon and put some snails to help with diatoms if you Want to.

Cheers
Ok i will up to 100 percent thanks mate and what snails would you recomend ?

Is hano the timer on light controller as when on auto it adjusts itself

Still waiting for new drop checker solution as pumping a lot of co2 in currently so hopefully its the solution.

Thanks dean

Last edited:
I like Ramshorn snails, nerite and clithon (the last two don't breed in soft water but Can lay eggs on the hardscape).

I like Ramshorn snails, nerite and clithon (the last two don't breed in soft water but Can lay eggs on the hardscape).
Think i will wait a week or so and see if can add shrimp as always worried snails end up infesting my tank and laying eggs all over.

What shrimp as best for begginers and stay quite small any recomendations?

I will keep up water changes every other day and lights on 100 percent for 6 hours a day.

Thanks dean

Tank still looking ok however i have been working, wife is off today to make sure lights and co2 on etc , put new solution in drop checker after watcher change and this morning its this colour with no co2 on is this normal ?

Thought would have been darker.

Thanks dean
e79f1a0b6d9113c1719981983c4bbbb2.jpg

Thats fine probably.
It really depends how much CO2 can offgas while the lights are out. Main reasons for offgassing are surface agitation (skimming, Bubble glass) while a reason against it is skum on the surface.

Is it normal to have green drop chdcker after large water change and no co2 has been on all night then ?

Hopefully my drop chdcker changes today once co2 on and lights on as plants will be using more co2 photosynthesing

Thanks dean

Back