• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

#4 - River shore

Great scape. R. Indica is a different plant commercially known as Ammania Bonsai.
Yes, but I meant R. rotundifolia var. red, also labeled as R. rotundifolia var. indica, which is not the same as Ammania indica Rotala bonsai). However, proper scientific plant identification in this hobby is unfortunately far from being accurate.

Jordi

just caught up with this and as always im loving it. been away a year or so from the hobby and this especially has me wanting wet elbows again :D jungle looks just as amazing as the minimal look to me, Jordi.

Very sad news... The new female was doing very well with the male for the last weeks. She was bright yellow and in good shape. After 4 days in her coconut cave, she decided to go out this afternoon. She was pale and very fat, with an exaggerated round belly. She was very weak and she could not swim properly. Now she is just fighting for her life , but I think she won't be able to survive.

I am a bit frustrated and I feel really bad, this is the second female dead. I am not sure what's the problem, the male is in real good shape and I've done my best with food (Grindal, blood worms, pellets) and tank husbandry.

Jordi

:( That's awfull news Jordi, can imagine the frustration if you can't figure out what's going wrong and why only the female.. Rather strange indeed.. :(

The female finally died yesterday night. It looked like she was plenty of eggs and she could not spawn. Maybe her belly was plenty of food, but I doubt it, as she was hidden in the cave for 4 days and she did not eat anything.

Jordi

Long time ago i bought 2 Apisto's and they both died very soon after introduction. At that time there was no internet and not much information to find. I went back to the lfs to ask and ofcourse what can they say? They blamed it on water quality and asked me to bring a sample.. I didn't i knew it was ok, i didn't expect them to say we sell bad quality fish. More was aiming for an explenatory guide how to keep them, but they probably couldn't also back then. I never tried those sp. again..

But since internet and much more info it seems they can be rather a difficult sp. to keep and i read a lot of people strugling with it. And they are susceptible to stress and weaken and some need special care before introduced to mates, like using deviders in the tank or quarantine tanks to get them into shape before introducing couples. I guess you are just one of those who have bad luck with finding a couple that does do good together from the start.

Hey Jordi, really sorry to hear about the female, perhaps she was egg-bound for some reason :( I hope you will give it another try? Perhaps when you add another female, it might be worth adding some 'dither fish' some small peaceful fish (some people use tetras, danios or pencilfish) that can make the Apisto pair feel more secure. It's a bit counter-intuitive but apparently the presence of other fish can make the pair feel more assured and less aggressive to each other - I read back on your journal and you said your male was really hassling the first female a lot? Having something to distract him may help kerb his over-enthusiasm in the future. Anyways, sorry again, but I hope you won't give up. Bex

Hi all

wow, no posts since late April. These have been hectic months at work but I have managed to keep my tanks under control. I realized that I needed a low maintenance setup, that is, fast 50% water changes weekly, a bit of trimming every month or so, but nothing I had to care about too much. So from initial idea of a manicured aquascape, I have gone to more jungly look. The complete evolution again :)

20595290438_e8a6567237_b.jpg
Just hardscape

22431139656_1fdde05e9c_k.jpg
Planted but minimalistic

26073368045_e20757fe44_k.jpg
On the way to a little jungle, Aristo period

27604473863_3f89b010df_k.jpg
Minimum maintenance setup

The red rotalas are still there but cannot be seen due to hard trimming today, but they do very well in the middle ground. Regarding the Apistos, I decided to find a better home for them. I was not really optimistic due to the last losses and looking at my agenda I knew I was going to have even less time for taking care of them. So no fish, just the Amano and cherry shrimps as well as some snails that established by themselves.

Jordi

Last edited:
You added some rocks in the path way, i see.. :) Looks nice.. :thumbup: I love those clumps of hairgrass, looks better then a complete carpet.. I'm trying the same, but it doesn't realy grow fast in low tech.

Thank you guys. This one is going crazy, it needs a serious trimming. I will take some pictures once back home. I want to add some long stems in the background, reddish or brownish to add contrast, not sure which species for the moment.

Jordi

Hi all

A new mutation for the Rivershore... from "just hardscape" to "minimalistic" to "little jungle" to "minimum maintenance" and now... "autumn mutation"!
Temperatures are now much better here for growing plants and I have more time to play with my tanks. So I decided to introduce some new plants and this is the result:

30117902503_291c0a206c_k.jpg

Jordi

Well, finally we can see the planted tank :D
The funny thing is that there is no added substrate in the background. If you see the first pictures (the "minimalistic" one for example) you will see that the layout is very flat. All the moss grown in the background and middle ground is now supporting the stems plants , like in a giant wabikusa. It is quite strange actually, when I replant the trimmed stems I cannot really plant them like you do in a normal tank, I just push them down until they get stuck, but they can actually be removed very easily. The good thing is that the roots are produced very quickly and this is enough for anchoring them

Jordi

A front view, phone pic...

30755082525_4fd717a594_k.jpg

Back