• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

40 cm cube

matador1982

I thought I would share my 40 cm cube tank with you all.

The tank is positioned on my kitchen work top which I'm sure you will see so rather than having an internal filter I created a trickle filter system at the back of the tank using acrylic. This unfortunately meant I had to sacrifice 5 cm of depth to the tank but needs must due to just not being able to have an external canister. i have however been able to house the heater in here.

I ordered the substrate and plants from TGM. At the base I used ADA Power Sand Special M, Aquasoil amazonia 2 and the sand is ADA Forest Sand Branco.

I have attempted a jungle type theme.

Here are some pictures of the installation and planting hope you like, feed back very welcome.

img00194201103021450.jpg

Dividers placed into so as not to mix substrate and sand. Powersand in.
img00241201103101230.jpg

Aquasoil in
img00245201103101254.jpg

First plant in attached to the wood riccia, anubias nana and java fern.
img00250201103101650.jpg

Image taken directly after completing filling. Stem plant to the left is limnophila and I have used a variety of crypts to make up the foreground and midground. Crypts include parva and willisi.
img00254201103111709.jpg

Nice one mate
Get yourself some graded graded pebbles and put between the sand and soil otherwise it'll mix pretty soon

nayr88 said:
Nice one mate
Get yourself some graded graded pebbles and put between the sand and soil otherwise it'll mix pretty soon

Nice idea thanks for the advise.

These pictures were taken when initially set up approximately 2 months ago do once I get a few moments I'll post some more. The overall aesthetics of the tank haven't changed just plant growth in the main. I have added some Vallis to the back right section a you look at the tank the limnophial has really grown very well.

andrejacobs81 said:
Really nice! Please tell me a bit more about the DIY filter you made.

Absolutely!

The filter is essentially made from three pieces of acrylic siliconed into place. The first piece is now what forms the back of the tank. From the pictures you can see at the top right of the image there are a series of rectangular cuts into the sheet this allows the water to go into the filter much like a weir type system. The other two pieces of acrylic divide the filter into three chambers.

The water flows into the first chamber through a course sponge and then through a large amount of ehiem sintered glass forming the biological filtration although the biological filtraion is boosted by the powersand special M which i'm using in the substrate. The water then flows from the bottom of this chamber to the second chamber, this a large chamber housing the heater and any chemical filtration I may wish to use carbon rowaphos etc the water then flows from the top of the second chamber into the third chamber where a ehiem 600 compact pump, pumps the water back into the tank via a spray bar.

I bought the acrylic from a plastics shop local to me gave them the dimensions I required. I used a special acrylic glue to stick the three pieces together then siliconed them to the glass.

I hope this explanation makes sense. I'll attempt to post a sketch plan of the filter later :D

Can't wait to see some growth pics.

The DIY filter part is interesting. Convenient space saver but how is maintanance, removing media for cleaning? It's good you can slip the heater in there too, kinda like the all in one marine nano's. :D

Open top tanks need topping up more often so keep an eye on those top up's. :thumbup:

spyder said:
Can't wait to see some growth pics.

The DIY filter part is interesting. Convenient space saver but how is maintanance, removing media for cleaning? It's good you can slip the heater in there too, kinda like the all in one marine nano's. :D

Open top tanks need topping up more often so keep an eye on those top up's. :thumbup:

Thank you I'll hopefully have more pictures up by this evening.

I certainly go my inspiration for the filter system from the nano marine tanks ;) my friend who is an avid reefer helped me with it.

Maintenance take a little getting used to but I've found it relatively easy the long handled planting tweezers / tongs come in handy

Thanks, yeah a diagram later will be nice. The explanation makes totally sense.
I was actually thinking of the Eheim 600 compact for this if I were to make one. Really nice little pump, I use it to do water changes with.

I second the Eheim 600 compact recommendation. I use it to do all my water changes. Add a little valve on one end and you can really slow down the flow to a trickle so you don't disturb the substrate.

Would love to see some pictures or a sketch of the filter you've built. It's a fantastic idea since surface skimming is the best way to cycle water in a tank and it means one less hose as well.

Otherwise really like the layout, and looking forward to watching this one grow. I'll see you in the next week or two to pickup some little fish for my nano!

leonroy said:
Would love to see some pictures or a sketch of the filter you've built. It's a fantastic idea since surface skimming is the best way to cycle water in a tank and it means one less hose as well.

Otherwise really like the layout, and looking forward to watching this one grow. I'll see you in the next week or two to pickup some little fish for my nano!

Hi Leonroy, sorry I think you may have me confused with someone else as I don't work at ADC although I was at the meet on Friday unfortunately had to leave around 9. I was chatting to you then about your nano and led lighting.

I'll certainly try and post some recent pictures soon and if can get a decent one of the filter one of that also otherwise I'll sketch it out as best I can.

Sorry my bad, we need a names to faces page here or something ;)

Yep, remember you clearly although the way you were talking about your tank's deficiencies I didn't realize it was this lovely. Looking forward to the next update.

leonroy said:
Sorry my bad, we need a names to faces page here or something ;)

Yep, remember you clearly although the way you were talking about your tank's deficiencies I didn't realize it was this lovely. Looking forward to the next update.

No problem

Thank you very much I suppose I do consider myself to be somewhat of a perfectionist. I'm currently torn between upgrading the lighting of this tank or saving and setting up a larger 90-45-45 AdA opti white system. I'm clearly aware that or have certainly become aware that the lighting I currently have isn't sufficient enough to grow the plants I crave ie HC for one!

One of the major things i have learnt from this tank and will ensure i implement it on any future tanks is to build a higher gradient to the substrate towards the rear of the tank and then be able plant at different levels.
I know I keep saying it but once I do get a minute I will post some updated pictures unless anyone can advise of way of doing this direct from iPhone.

Looks good, very healthy looking growth as well. You're ahead of your time with that filter/weir idea - at the Aquatics Live show pretty much every planted nano had one! :thumbup:

Back