• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

40 liter

Yay .... love the glass
165fff65f7e7857aebd770258c5fe28e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10 days into DSM .....
10 more days to go before I ‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️
19734610e628ec06279b10ce6b101259.jpg

Just waiting for this heater to arrive then I shall be filling.
Hopefully it will do the job!
2fe53a8be1c3202acb3d0841f296d944.jpg

Managed to flood my tank this evening, although everything seemed to go wrong and I'm no sure if my reg/needle valve is working correctly...but I'm well chuffed with the denerelle heater as you can barely see it !
Lights are on 40% ... hoping all goes well !
846e8ae20b5b13234257dfd248fc5341.jpg

So did a quick ammonia test and it seems there is little ammonia in the water depending how accurate those api tests Are!
I don't think that's not bad at all after a 15 day dry start!
ab967bdc831c69290d3e11c9de4de3e8.jpg

Few pics from 7 days after flooding, not the best quality but taken from my Samsung.
Noticed the eleocharis was melting and turning yellow (i believe is common when transitioning) and the Monte Carlo was melting in a couple places over the weekend. Drop checker has been in the yellow and ph drop has been decent! But I had realised I haven't dosed any magnesium !
So yesterday I dosed 2.5 grams , then last night I doubled the injection rate, added the ehiem 350 (started to get the film) and reduced the lighting intensity. Dosed 2 grams of magnesium again this morning and this evening all the plants had noticibily become more vibrant within a day of carrying out those tweaks !

With the added flow and skim from the ehiem the ph had dropped back to 7.8 this morning too as without it the ph hasn't returned above 7 even over night.... so I'm guessing the gas exchange is more efficient when using it as there is no bio film to restrict it.
Of course I maybe completely wrong with my observations.

d7e516de2ef633a7cd3bf35d1778cd32.jpg
b0e2a312233b3676937917e4db66ab79.jpg
20a48d5f6606ad10f88efd90d5cec502.jpg
83c10a7efd0a95000f73d53c9480f622.jpg
5027368df5da5ae282e9fcc60dc68b71.jpg

is it still 8 drops of each solution bottle? (to test for ammonia)

If so the water line in the test tube should be higher, shouldn't it? bit hard to tell, but thought it worth mentioning.

is it still 8 drops of each solution bottle? (to test for ammonia)

If so the water line in the test tube should be higher, shouldn't it? bit hard to tell, but thought it worth mentioning.
Hi.
Still 8 drops from each bottle,
So yea I guess that's just the level once the drops are added.
I tested again this morning after reading your post and it's exactly the same
Cheers

So after coming back from alicante to a major fail of my tank I turfed it all out and 're scaped.
Happier with this than the last.
Also The kessil is much more powerful than I thought, now on about 20%.
Look forward to adding some inhabitants
c66c67015be5c2826d0acd52ef43ba1f.jpg

Last edited:
With the added flow and skim from the ehiem the ph had dropped back to 7.8 this morning too as without it the ph hasn't returned above 7 even over night.... so I'm guessing the gas exchange is more efficient when using it as there is no bio film to restrict it.
Of course I maybe completely wrong with my observations.

I would say you are 100% right with your observations, I found the difference in co2 required when skimming the surface substantial. Before skimming I would get a film build up now and again, I know people will say that this surface scum means the plants aren't happy about something but I've seen the pros suffer from it and in my tank the plants were growing fine even with the scum so what do you look to adjust even when the plants seem happy other than the scum?

The intermittent surface scum in my tank meant my co2 was up and down like a yoyo, fish gasping when it was there and not when it wasn't, as least with the surface skimmer I now don't have any so I can dial in the co2 to be right without the scum and know I'm not coming home to panicking fish.

Planted some more eleocharis sp min today
Any tips for what to put in the top of the ehiem skim to stop fish getting sucked in ?
I have stainless mesh but seems to heavy.
Cheers
75c9203ca60659553ef0f22e9b08309e.jpg

It's ok I've gone down the fishing line route

:thumbup::thumbup:Alot use the elastic loom bands round the skimmer top to stop small fish and shrimp getting sucked in.

Yeah that's what I use the black ones. Recently I've had a couple of incidents where they've popped off and found them either in the tank or in the skimmer itself. Good skimmer this but I wish Eheim would acknowledge the problem and bring out an adapter. I've personally lost a couple of tetras, an Otto and countless shrimp because of it. I now check it twice daily to make sure nothing is in there by switching it off, taking the top off and wiggling a wooden BBQ skewer round so anything in there jumps out. Also, always check before dropping water level.

I've seen people use rolled up plastic mesh before and very coarse sponge, I might try one of these other techniques if I can find some flexible mesh that isn't too heavy to sink the skimmer.

Yeah that's what I use the black ones. Recently I've had a couple of incidents where they've popped off and found them either in the tank or in the skimmer itself. Good skimmer this but I wish Eheim would acknowledge the problem and bring out an adapter. I've personally lost a couple of tetras, an Otto and countless shrimp because of it. I now check it twice daily to make sure nothing is in there by switching it off, taking the top off and wiggling a wooden BBQ skewer round so anything in there jumps out. Also, always check before dropping water level.

I've seen people use rolled up plastic mesh before and very coarse sponge, I might try one of these other techniques if I can find some flexible mesh that isn't too heavy to sink the skimmer.
I've used fishing line and it's held on with small spots of superglue, seems to work well but think I need a bit more as I had a mountain minnow trapped inside.
Maybe super glue will secure the lume bands ??

Ahh when your single and have a chill zone
1caf1c6f562b1f0b639f38b457a069c4.jpg

Back