• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

40 Litres Low Tech

azawaza

Hello everyone.
My first time posting here.
Currently, I’m setting up a low tech planted tank. I came from a high tech 3 feet planted tank from a year back. I had that previous tank for about 2 years before having to relocate.
Space and budget are a bit tight now so I’ve opted to go low tech.

Today is Day 6. Nitrite was at zero ppm yesterday night but I’m not convinced so will test later.

There’s no lifestock yet, just lots of plants. Mostly anubias and java fern with a bit of buchephalendra, xmas moss, bolbitis and cryptocoryne wendtii thrown in the mix. I’m not sure what floating plants I got there but new leaves are forming so that’s good.

Will post more details on tank setup soon.

Qn: Which algae eating crew should I stock up first- otocinclus or CRS?
AFBADC55-EDA4-4859-ACE3-B2E681CC4B88.jpeg

Last edited:
I would wait until the tank is cycled before adding any critters. Otos are better than CRS for algae duties. Some nerite snails may also be useful.

Looks nice, I’m really liking the island style at the moment. As rebel says wait for it to cycle before adding any fish or shrimp. What other live stock are you considering?

I would wait until the tank is cycled before adding any critters. Otos are better than CRS for algae duties. Some nerite snails may also be useful.

Tank is, I presumed after testing (0 Nitrites, 10ppm Nitrates), cycled. I did fishless cycle with Stability and fish food from Day One. Will continue to monitor water parameters daily with Prime addition when required.

Went to the LFS to get two otos just a while ago. Had them acclimated and they seem to be doing well, eating away at the back glass.

About the nerite snails, I had a few in my previous 3 feet tank and they seem to be too large for this current one, me thinks. Are there any smaller snails around?

Looks nice, I’m really liking the island style at the moment. As rebel says wait for it to cycle before adding any fish or shrimp. What other live stock are you considering?

The island layout are the only way I could hide all the unsightly wood the Anubias and Java ferns are attached to. I didn’t have enough budget to work with to purhase driftwood nor rocks, so oh well, we have to stay creative within our means I guess.

I used Sudo Bottom Sand in hope of getting some dwarf corydoras. Am still undecided between pygmy cory or hastatus.

Maybe some Boraras (not sure which too), a Kuhli loach would be cool and one more solitary mid-sized fish like Apistos or Killies?

I may be too ambitious on the above. Secretly, I love plants more (algae, not so!) and don’t mind which lifestock are in the tank, so long as they survive and are healthy that would please me much.

Hi all,Looks like <"Pistia stratiotes">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel.

Always good to know which plants are in your tank. I have to admit that I added Peacock Fern to version 1.0 of the scape. Had to dispose them when told that they were not fully aquatic.

Wish my LFSs label their plants with scientific names though. Much easier to ID plants online that way.

Tank specs:
60x30x24cm braceless
UP Aqua Lights Pro ZX 60cm
ANS glass inlet and outlet 13mm
Eheim Ecco Pro 130

F12D8495-BF23-44A8-9838-FC6AF83B026E.jpeg

It’s good to have a fish tank again :) Boy is this hobby fun (until algae fighting begins haha!)

Last edited:
Hi all
Always good to know which plants are in your tank
I can see from this picture that my earlier ID is wrong, and it is actually a, large leaved, water fern, Salvinia sp.

They are difficult to identify to species, but that looks like either Salvinia cucullata or a large member of the Salvinia ariculata group. To tell which one you actually have you need either <"sporocarps and/or a picture of the leaf hairs">.

If it's Salvinia "molesta" or a similar auriculata group species (that would be my guess) the leaf hairs are "egg whisk" shaped (see below).

salvinia_spp_lge.jpg

cheers Darrel

I’ve a question about the floating plants: why do the new leaves look so different from the parent ones?
C29739EB-5269-447E-86F7-4F189D73B3D2.jpeg

Some tank updates:

Dosings- 1ml Excel on odd days; 4ml Tropica Premium Nutrition fert on even days; 4ml Algexit weekly.

Also, some of the large Anubias had weakened leaves with holes so I trimmed them off. In place of the gap in the foliage, I added some Bucephalandra.

Was considering other plants at my LFS but decided against it: would Hygrophila pinnatifida work in my tank? Must I plant it in the sand or will attaching it in between rocks do too?

33449D84-5F25-4097-89ED-47A9A38318C9.jpeg

Hi all,
I’ve a question about the floating plants: why do the new leaves look so different from the parent ones?
It is a light effect, the original plants are likely to have been grown out-doors, in bright tropical sun-light. One of the reasons that it is difficult to identify Salvinia species is that they have a <"very plastic growth response">.

cheers Darrel

hastatus cory if you can find them - much brighter appearance & personality (I think ;))

I really like this tank :)
I’d add several Otos with all those broad leaves to keep them entertained

Nerites - clithon corona/diadema are much smaller - & better plant algae cleaners ...
these seem to be less common in shops (& on fish lists)

hastatus cory if you can find them - much brighter appearance & personality (I think ;))

I really like this tank :)
I’d add several Otos with all those broad leaves to keep them entertained

Nerites - clithon corona/diadema are much smaller - & better plant algae cleaners ...
these seem to be less common in shops (& on fish lists)

Hastatus will be hard to find and expensive too. Sometimes they appear at boutique LFSs here and get snapped up very fast. I may go with pygmy cory if the itch needs to be scratched fast haha.

Thanks for your compliments. I hope I have the dedication to keep it maintained, no promises though.

I have two otocinclus at the moment. How many should I get you think? I would like to keep bioload low. Will there be algae and biofilm sufficient enough to sustain them all?

I’ll research more on the snails you mentioned. I may get one or two, depending on future bioload again.

I should make myself island composition tank as well... really like the look of it... but whenever times comes to restart aquarium - my mind is somewhere else and I end up with some swamp :D

I prefer Tropica’s 1-2-Grow version over their pot version

It’s fantastic as an epiphyte

Should I superglue or tie them to rocks? And how should I do it in terms of positioning? Do the roots need exposing like rhizome plants?

I should make myself island composition tank as well... really like the look of it... but whenever times comes to restart aquarium - my mind is somewhere else and I end up with some swamp :D

I don’t think mine can last nicely manicured. It will slowly but eventually be overgrown in due time. Swamp can be good too if it resembles a biotope which could make fish less stressed I feel.

I went from being swayed by Iwagumi to Dutch in my previous tanks (this is my third one); now I’m just looking to create an environment that is both pleasing to the eye and comforting for the creatures within to dwell in.

Plus, the less hassle to maintain it, the better :)

Back