• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

400 gallon.

Quick handheld phone update: ( i got a carpet!!..........well it's a layer of moss;))

The biotodoma's are dying one by one, no obvious signs, so i am guessing age related, they are about 4 years in the tank. Thinking of adding all the Apistogramma eremnopyge fry.

Nice Ed, great to see some footage. Have subscribed...
Love biotodoma and only have 3 myself.
Need a bit of wood like that myself ;)

Ashley..
Aqua oak tanks 4'x2'x2' & 5'x2'x2' both freshwater set up on apex Neptune systems.
Mortgage & Protection Adviser Full Time, Peace

Coarse riversand. It's been there for 18 years now,

How have you secured your moss? Last week I sandwiched some moss between two bits of stainless steel wire mesh, hoping to form a moss carpet, but the steel is definitely unsightly at the moment... Was wondering if you used a more attractive technique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed, i'm sure you previously said that Apisto's have never been a success in this tank, what do you think has change that will work this time?
i'm not trying to have a go, just curious as they are a Genus i love.

How have you secured your moss
It's just lying on the substrate like a thick layer, probably with a layer of mulm under it.
About the apisto's: sadly i have lost all the eremnopyge youngsters. When i started to remove all plants from the cube to clean the tank and collect the young there where just 3 young left :arghh:. hadn't realy noticed anything because the tank was so densely grown over. so i don't know what happened exactly. I did add some ferts, maybe just a bit to much as they where in very soft water. There are still 2 or 3 in the tank they are hiding in the "wall-growth"as i near the tank, so i haven't seen them closeup.
The trifasciata young are doing fine. They will go to a shop in the near future.

Apisto's have never been a success in this tank
Still can't figure out why though, doesn't make sense other than the depth creating some problems maybe. There is one adult male living in the large tank atm, goes well.

New additions (phone pic for now): Chalceas erythraeus " Tucan fish"
20180722_203508.jpg
20180722_203438.jpg

I have been feeding the tank very sparsely to see the effect: made little difference on the swords, floaters are thinning, yellowing, and the Hydrocleis has less shoots and runners. All makes sense:rolleyes:
I will start feeding a bit more again now.
I've been looking at those Chalceus for some years now, they are bigger fish, but now i like to see them in their full splendor:D

The Chalceas are beautiful. Pisses me off how you have access to such beautiful fish and rare plants.

Do you still use the TMC tiles for lighting?

Angels: Pterophyllum scalare ( 2 nanay ones and 2 regular ones)
Biotodoma cupido ( one left from a group of 6, introduced june 2014)
Pseudanos trimaculatus 6
Crenuchus spilurus (3 or 4 left from larger group June 2014)
Asselus colomesus ,5, newly introduced 4 weeks or so ago
Otocinclus species, somewhere between 5-10, introduced 2013 as a large group (30 or so)
Characidium fasciatum 4 and characidium spp 4, the fasciatum are also 5/6 years old, got some fresh ones 4 weeks ago too
Apistogramma bitaeniata, 2 large males about 18 months old, these where left over from a breeding try, and i took them back to the large tank 2 months ago. 4 small females i bought 4 weeks ago and introduced to the tank immediatly
Hyphessobrycon rubrostriata, one of the newer tetra's, 20 or so with a H. amaniensis and a another one ( can't remember the name atm) mixed in inadvertently. beautifull fish. From 6 weeks ago
Brochis splendens and Corydoras elegans, mixed group (6 or 8) left over for larger groups of both (2014)
One Apisto male D number, havent got any females left, so it went in the large tank together with 2 bitaeniata males.
Chalceus erythrurus 10, one jumped from the original group. These WILL EAT PLANTS! My Hydrocleis are being massacared by these, they bite the stems, they also nibble at floaters. Havent seen the attacking swords
Macrobrachium brasiliensis, i introduced them 2 years ago, never saw them again, 6 months ago i could get another batch, i dropped in the 10 largest in the 400 gallon and the rest went into the white cube. A few weeks ago i started spotting a few big ones. They hide in the moss blanket and come out when i feed. If i see pregnant females in my cube i will start adding more to the 400 gallon, they are growing but i havent seen pregnant females yet.

That's about it

Thank you @Edvet ! It looks like your tank is understocked. What do you plan on getting in the next week's and months? Do you have any medium and long term fauna targets?

Back