• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

40cm Cube - Re Scape

Well this is improving.....growth has increased so have been able to trim some of it as well, as most the algae was toward the top of the plants.

However, I have been getting what I can only describe as a foam on top of the water...this is a new on me and googling suggest's protein? but the search relates more to marine rather then tropical.

its the same as bio film mate, it either appears as foam or film. It can be a pain to resolve also,try more surface movement, manual removal daily with paper towel as the tank is small and more frequent WC all help. The health of the plants is the driving factor so once that is right it will dissipate. Also be careful not to overfeed.
:thumbup:

Hi geaves,.. :) just in case if you hadn't come across this thread, here are 2 links you might be interested in. Clive (ceg4048) provides an excellent presentation about surface scums here. Hope it's of use to you.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13603&hilit=surface+scum&start=20

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2389&start=10

If you don't mind me asking, i know that it's a 40 cm cube but what is the volume of the tank in litres or US gallons please? :oops:
And are you still performing 50% water change along with the daily 2ml easycarbo dosing?

P/s : Sorry for the multiple edits. :oops: :rolleyes:

faizal said:
Hi geaves,.. :) just in case if you hadn't come across this thread, here are 2 links you might be interested in. Clive (ceg4048) provides an excellent presentation about surface scums here. Hope it's of use to you.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13603&hilit=surface+scum&start=20

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2389&start=10

If you don't mind me asking, i know that it's a 40 cm cube but what is the volume of the tank in litres or US gallons please? :oops:
And are you still performing 50% water change along with the daily 2ml easycarbo dosing?

P/s : Sorry for the multiple edits. :oops: :rolleyes:

According to EI calc @ FluidsOnline the tank is 64 Ltrs, I have stayed with 50% water change, 2ml EasyCarbo, 30Ml EI Macro and 1ml of Profito for 5 days then rest for 2, have also reduced lighting to 3 hours. (30w Eco Aqua)

What is noticeable is that the Crypts and the Helferi (the helferi is remarkable, growing well, 'cabbagey' and a lovely colour) have recovered and growing very well (left overs from the previous attempt) the other stem plants bought locally (bad mistake) are growing but also struggling, in so much as this algae has reappeared albeit slightly and the growth rate is leggy.

What I need to do I think, is to find a group of plants that will prosper together, as this will help with the second tank layout that is currently housing the fish. I must say ghostword's suggestion of reducing the length of lights on has had a contributing factor.

I think you are under dosing the liquid carbon. For a 64 litre tank I think you need to dose 8ml after every major (> 40 % water change) and 1.6 ml on non water change days. My excel only supplemented 64 Liter tank gets 3ml daily on non water change days and 13 ml after > 40% water change.

Reducing the length of light is definetely the right way to go but I also think that in order to see better growth you should try increasing the liquid carbon dosing.

faizal said:
I think you are under dosing the liquid carbon. For a 64 litre tank I think you need to dose 8ml after every major (> 40 % water change) and 1.6 ml on non water change days. My excel only supplemented 64 Liter tank gets 3ml daily on non water change days and 13 ml after > 40% water change.

Reducing the length of light is definetely the right way to go but I also think that in order to see better growth you should try increasing the liquid carbon dosing.

Ok thanks for that, I'll give that a go......want to try and sort this out before a house move.

Back