• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

40cm - Javanese Paradise

Tom

OK, got rid of the vast majority of algae now, so here's a (probably) final shot. Tried white, black and grey backgrounds and this seemed to come out best. Not sure if I want fish or not. If I got some it'd probably be either Hengali Rasboras, Featherfin Rainbows, or Lampeye Killis. Will see if work can "loan" some to me lol. If not, this will be the final shot.

Resize-Wizard-1-7.jpg

Any criticisms appreciated!!

Tom

Wow, speechless mate... :wideyed: Only the tiniest of question marks would be that the Blyxa-like plant on the left aft side seems to disrupt the symmetry ever so slightly? Maybe the reflection off the side glass makes it look more of a disturbance than what it is in reality.

Cheers,

Hi Tom,

The scape looks fantastic! How big is the tank? Personally I think a shoal of lampeyes would look really good, particularly if its not a huge tank. Yeh I too was drawn to the left hand corner for some reason.

Haha! Yeh, but I meant overall dimensions, depth, height? Sorry didn't make myself clear!

Also, what moss did you use?

Wow, you have really made the dimensions of the tank look much much bigger to me. How long do you think the java fern will last before it gets too big?

Yes, that could be. I kinda like the idea of the convex mound myself though. To get the triangle wouldn't the Blyxa need to grow taller than the fern? Tough to do. To me Blyxa is more of a transitional element because it's too tall to be ground cover but doesn't have the magnitude to be a background. Let it grow in and see what happens though. :D

Cheers,

PS. Just let me know immediately if Blyxa changes color. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of that issue. :?

Wow, you have really made the dimensions of the tank look much much bigger to me. How long do you think the java fern will last before it gets too big?

Well it's been in there about a couple of months, and all it's done is bushed out and gone sideways. Maybe that's because of the high lighting, but I reckon it could be kept in there fairly long term.

Just let me know immediately if Blyxa changes color. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of that issue.

Got any theories? When I bought it it seemed a bit more "bronze" in colour than it is now.

Tom

I've read that blyxa only changes colour when it's in high light after being trimmed, no reason why was offered however.
A fantastic scape Tom, If I were you I'd keep it running for another month or so, it's too soon to tear it down yet not until you've let the blyxa grow some more to alter the composition.

I have an unsubstantiated theory that it is PO4 related as well as light related. JamesC gave me a clue in this thread=> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1967

It flowered with massive doses of PO4 and was bronze(ish). I left town for a few weeks and my tank ran out of PO4. The Blyxa turned emerald green and all the flowers disappeared. I'm dosing again and the tank is recovering as usual so I expect in two weeks or so I'll see another colour change if this theory holds any water.

Cheers,

Tom said:
Ray - I bought black, white and grey card from WH Smiths this morning to try out, and this was the white one. My wall is a blue colour, which may be why the lower half of the photo is bluer, I'm not sure. :)

Tom

Tom,

Tank looks the business!! 8)

Ray kindly pm'd me with the link to your thread. I've just looked at it :!: I've read your answer to Rays question about the backdrop :wideyed: Errr.......white card from WH Smiths :?: Wall is a blue colour? Come on mate you need to be a bit more specific than that :D In the famous words of the guy in the wheel chair off Little Britain.....eeerrrr I want dat one!

I want to take the backing off my tank and copy if I may what you have done. Any clues :?:

Cheers,

Steve.

Glad you like it :D

lol I wouldn't leave the card on all the time, just blu tacked it to the wall for the shot. Then just shine a light at it to backlight the tank. If you want more specific, it was A3 size plain white card, 74p I believe ;) Usually I don't have a background, just the wall colour.

Wow tank looks amazing, for a moment there I was like 40cm???? Looks bigger than my 80cm Rio, without fish is hard to tell.
Congrats on a great tank and love your photography, light works really well :)

Back