• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

40x20x20 "Stag's antlers"

Jur4ik

Hi guys,
As some of you might allready know I had some bad luck with my Dennerle Cube, do not mistake with the "Friendship" Dennerle Cube, this one is not mine, I only helped setting up this tank.
My next attempt on nano will be a 40x20x20cm sized tank.
Today I received 10kg Minilandscape rock and some pieces of Malaysian driftwood aka "ADA Old Black Wood".
In this tank will also use a sort of No-Name "NatureSoil" , should be the same but cheaper :twisted:

After few hours playing with the hardscape a came up with this

IMG_0013.JPG

(Photo done with the new iPhone 3GS)

comments and critique are appreciated ;)

Re: 40x20x20 new project

Looks to be a typical nature aquarium set up, should be nice! Keep us posted. ;)

What are the stats a planned planting?

rawr said:
Looks to be a typical nature aquarium set up, should be nice! Keep us posted. ;)

What are the stats a planned planting?

thanks mate,
stats will be same as the last one

samc said:
looks pretty good to me :D

what you planning on putting in the middle of the wood? i think bolbitis would look cool

hi samc
bolbitis sounds great, must think about it .
Anubias petite and java fern was my initial idea

TDI-line said:
Uber cool.

Reminds me of a stag's antlers. ;)

thanks TDI
will check this out

SteveUK said:
Great hardscape mate :) That wood is very nice!

What's this "no name" substrate you're using? Sounds intriguing!

nice and expansive, each piece is about 14€ worth
I asked my LFS for the naturesoil from O.Knott and was adviced to this no-name product. As I was told it should similar to the expansive plantsoil.
Will report on it ;)

TDI-line said:
Uber cool.

haha, thought "stag's antlers" would be an scape but after a research I looked the meaning in German. It is always nice to learn new words :)

maybe " stag's antlers" will become the name of the scape...

I like that name! Or somehthin to do with stags/antlers/stufftodowiththat.

It will be my second "try new plants" tank, there will be some common plants too. As for now I want a HC karpet in the front area mixed with riccia and spotted with hairgrass. Somewhere I will give UG one more (last) chance. Gaps between the stones I want P.helferi to fill in. anubias nana (petite) attached around the the focal middle stone. now the focal point of the scape the gap between the "stag's antlers" (that might become the name of the scape) - unsure about what to place on top of the stone in the middle. anubias like in yours or java fern, or maybe bolbitis. Somewhere behind the stones but under the driftwood I want to place crypts and behind of them many different stems - need to learn how to handle them

Some technical info:

Filter: Eheim Ecco Pro 130
Heater: Hydor Eth200
Co2: pressurized with solenoid
Substrate: No-Name Nature Soil
Ferts: TPN+ & Easy Carbo
Lightning: 2x11 watt from Dennerle Nano Cube series

As for the lightning I´m undecided, could upgrade the lightnign to 3x11w or look out for something different, what do you think? looks kindaway strange with 3 lightning fixtures and 3x cables ...

samc said:
id say that the 2x11w lighting would be enough for this tank but you might decide different :D

ill look foward to the planting too

im going to try UG again. what GH is your water?

Sorry Samc, what do you mean with "what GH is your water?" :?:
Well in my opinion 2x11 is a minimum for this tank, but 3 lightning fixtures on a tank simply looks stupid :lol:

Can anyone advice a lightning for this tank?

Played more with the hardscape, this is what it looks like now:
IMG_0017.JPG

saintly said:
getting there mate, looks better than before. i love the wood in the foreground 8)

Thanks Mark,
I love it too 8) have played more , see below

samc said:
sorry GH is the general hardness. as a person (cant remember who) grew UG well in soft water and when they started with hard water the UG melted away very quickly

Well, my tap water is very soft, about 3°dGH and in my tanks as I use Aquasoil near 1° :wideyed: allready thought on fluctuating ph lvl´s because of the very soft water. Good water to breed discus - they do it in the community tank :lol:

new hardscape
IMG_0018.JPG

This hardscape reminds me of some Tom Messenger hardscape positioning. Check out some of his posts.

I love it!

rawr said:
This hardscape reminds me of some Tom Messenger hardscape positioning. Check out some of his posts.

I love it!

do you mean his 40cm tank?
if not please link the one you are talking about :)

one more hardscape
IMG_0019.JPG

and the last one, for today :lol:
IMG_0022.JPG

critique and comments on the hardscape are appreciated

Jur4ik said:
TDI-line said:
Uber cool.

haha, thought "stag's antlers" would be an scape but after a research I looked the meaning in German. It is always nice to learn new words :)

maybe " stag's antlers" will become the name of the scape...

:lol: :lol: :D

Back