• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

450d lenses or compatibles

John Starkey

Hi all,
i will be looking to add some extra lenses at some point,can anyone recommend a macro lense,wide angle lense,and a zoom lense,
i dont want to pay the earth but i dont mind paying for something half decent,is it possible to buy lenses that do macro and zoom,or is it best to have dedicated lenses.

regards john.

hi john,

long time no speak :)

i have a 350D with a canon 100mm macro lens which provides nice fish shots.

i also have a 55-200mm sigma lens with macro facility which also seems to do a nice job, especially when i want to fire off some basic shots without setting up the tripod and remote shutter control.

it also proves more than able with portrait shots of family and friends.

I can personally recommend the Sigma 10-20 and Sigma 150mm macro as both being really fantastic lenses for the money. I've no doubt the canon alternatives are also excellent, but in my experience Sigma provide 90% of the performance of canon/nikon lenses for 50% of the cost (ish!). WOuld be hard pushed to recommend a tele until I knew more about what you wanted to use it for.

With regards to your last question, you'll find some Sigma telephoto lenses which are labelled as 'macro', meaning they have a close focus feature which will get you to somewhere around 1:3 magnification - for photographing fish, insects, flowers and other small stuff it's definitely worth splashing the cash on a true 1:1 macro lens (such as the Sigma 150mm or canon 100mm)

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice,I will take a look at the recommedations,as for the zoom lenses,I want something that will take better pics of scenary that's a bit further away,I find the kit lenses a bit under gunned 18-55mm,what would anyone suggest?,
Regards john

Hi mark,
I don't mind going up £250 for each lense but not all at once,but if I can get a lenses that is £300 and a lot better than the £250 one I don't mind paying a bit extra.

cheers mark

john starkey said:
Hi all,
Thanks for the advice,I will take a look at the recommedations,as for the zoom lenses,I want something that will take better pics of scenary that's a bit further away,I find the kit lenses a bit under gunned 18-55mm,what would anyone suggest?,
Regards john
the 18-55mm kit lens is junk. its amazing what a good bit of glass can do :thumbup:

if you want to pop in and see me john you are welcome to bring your camera and have a "play" with my lenses.

not that they are pro equipment but it may help....................would be good to see you :D

you could critic my emmersed set up too :twisted: :D

Sye Davies said:
if you want to pop in and see me john you are welcome to bring your camera and have a "play" with my lenses.

not that they are pro equipment but it may help....................would be good to see you :D

you could critic my emmersed set up too :twisted: :D

Hi Sye,
you still the got the shop at honeybourne?,if i am free on sat coming i will bring the camera over for a play,

cheers john.

Hi Guys,

i thought i would let you know of a bargain i got today,i was in stratford upon avon and popped into jessops and they had a sigma 70-300mm f/4 5.6 apo dg macro zoom lens for £149 so i bought it,when the guy rang it through the till it came up as £139 result hey,
regards john.

great lens john. 80%of my images are taken with that lens. :thumbup:

another great lens for the £ V's quality is the sigma 24-70 f 2.8 ex DG. compared to the canon L series it's the same league for a lot less money.

saintly said:
great lens john. 80%of my images are taken with that lens. :thumbup:

another great lens for the £ V's quality is the sigma 24-70 f 2.8 ex DG. compared to the canon L series it's the same league for a lot less money.

Hi Mark,thanks for the advice very much appreciated,
regards john.

I sye,
wha a bargain the cheapest myself and dan Crawford had seen it was £165,so well pleased they still have some left in various stores,
regards john

Back