• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

450L Vision adventure

awtong said:
Thanks mate, they are great tanks but your puddle is a whole different look with the shallow depth and different details. I should get a new full tank shot showing the Apongeton growth I can't wait till it fills out properly. I bought a new camera on Friday that should arrive tomorrow so I will test it out and try and get some good detailed photo's. Might get a full tank shot I am properly proud of as I haven't managed that yet. My wife can get better pics with her iphone than we could from our compact.

Funny how this hobby has us ending up purchasing other equipment. Tanks, filters , plants, fish etc etc then we get the bug to go buying posh cameras too. Damn you ukaps!!!!!

I think the visions look better with a slight side on photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awtong said:
Thanks mate, they are great tanks but your puddle is a whole different look with the shallow depth and different details. I should get a new full tank shot showing the Apongeton growth I can't wait till it fills out properly. I bought a new camera on Friday that should arrive tomorrow so I will test it out and try and get some good detailed photo's. Might get a full tank shot I am properly proud of as I haven't managed that yet. My wife can get better pics with her iphone than we could from our compact.

Ha ha cheers mate. I'm enjoying the non co2 low tech method this time aroundIt's different.

Funny how this hobby has us ending up purchasing other equipment. Tanks, filters , plants, fish etc etc then we get the bug to go buying posh cameras too. Damn you ukaps!!!!!

I think the visions look better with a slight side on photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have added 2 cryptocoryne diversen today in front of the filter inlet. I have also decided to move a couple of Anubias and replace them with some crypts to help the area in front of the wood flow better. Pic below shows the Anubias and they are attached to a piece of slate.

DSCN0054.jpg

Livestock wise the gold CAE has been re-homed to the mother in laws tank. Added 3 more young female Congo's and 5 yellow tail Congo's. These are very young so will take time to colour up but it will be worth it.

I have been trying out the new camera. I went with a Nikon bridge as a DSLR would be super wasted on me but my compact just wasn't doing what I wanted. Thought I would share some of the pics of inhabitants.

Yellow tail Congo's
DSCN0083.jpg

Congo's
DSCN0052.jpg

Plec's
DSCN0047.jpg

Denisonii barb
DSCN0013.jpg

And my 3 wild scalare all together
DSCN0031.jpg

And finally a full tank shot on the angle
DSCN0028.jpg

Andy

Thanks Polyester.

How big is your new tank have you got a journal up yet?

Congo's need a lot of space they are really active and the males love to spar with each other. Congo's often get over looked in LFS stock tanks as they are young and don't have much colour or the long fin and tail extensions. They are also big fish so don't help with the scale of delicate aquascapes so aren't used as often. I have been bringing these ones on for nearly a year. Good quality food and they grow and colour up nicely.

This pic shows my shoal in all its glory
DSCN0075.jpg

Andy

the Congos are ace! Would love to see them shoaling up and down...got a video function on that new camera?

easerthegeezer said:
love congos, still trying to convince somethingfishy to purchase some for his jungle. Those wild angels look lovely too Andy.

Thanks easer those were from Scotsdales. Get somethingfishy to have a look at the yellow tail congo's at Maidenhead Cambridge. They aren't as deep bodied but when mature get a nice blue flash and a lovely yellow tail. They are a little more subtle.

ianho said:
the Congos are ace! Would love to see them shoaling up and down...got a video function on that new camera?

Thanks Ian I got this pic as the wife walked past the tank as I was testing out the camera that's why I have Congo's and Denosonii's all together. It's a Nikon bridge P510 coolpix with HD video feature. I will try out the vid function and post the results. I don't have a tripod yet but I will see what I can do. I have never made a tank video before.

tim said:
love those scalare angels just make me wnt a bigger tank stuning fish :thumbup:

Thanks Tim the Scalare were from waterzoo in Peterborough and were a christmas gift from the wife but they weren't cheap I had to get her some expensive shoes to offset it :lol: . I got them November last year. I have one which is becoming the dominant male and is growing on nicely. He is starting to show pairing behaviour with the smallest one so we will see what happens.

Andy

So after my 2nd visit to one of my LFS this weekend I returned with another 2x crypt diversen, 2 x crypt bullosa, 2 x crypt Legroi, and 1 x good size pot of crypt petchi that I split into two to carry out my rescape ideas.

I moved out from the back my Crypt wendtii tropica and my crypt undulata and replaced them with the two diversen. The slate with anubias was removed and I couldn't believe how much crap was under it. One bullosa went to the left hand side to replace the wendtii tropica and then other new crypts and the tropica and undulata i already had replaced the anubias slate.

Here is the pic of the lefthand side

Before
DSCN0053.jpg

After (pic is still a bit murky from the disturbance)
DSCN0093.jpg

I also got rid of the Willow moss from Basil that just wasn't working out. This is the 2nd time I have failed with moss. Could it be that my tank is too hot at 27C for moss to flourish in a low tech set up? Any ideas welcome. I replaced this with a cutting from my anubias. This can then climb up and over the wood on the left hand side. The rest of the anubias will go to my brother's goldfish tank.

Just got to be patient with the slow crypt growth now and hopefully won't get too much melt. I chose crypts from the holding tank that had already started to get immersed leaves to try and help them along. Overall I am happy with the work.

Any feedback appreciated.

Andy

awtong said:
Thanks Polyester.

How big is your new tank have you got a journal up yet?

Congo's need a lot of space they are really active and the males love to spar with each other. Congo's often get over looked in LFS stock tanks as they are young and don't have much colour or the long fin and tail extensions. They are also big fish so don't help with the scale of delicate aquascapes so aren't used as often. I have been bringing these ones on for nearly a year. Good quality food and they grow and colour up nicely.

This pic shows my shoal in all its glory
DSCN0075.jpg

Andy

liking your congo tetras

[/quote]liking your congo tetras[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment.

I am loving the start of your new set up. When you eventually get your Altum's I will be green with envy!

Andy

Quick update on this. The tank is still the same for now with a good amount of growth on the Apongeton, but I am collecting some bits for a major re-scape. More details to be released soon.

I have taken a couple of short videos that I hope to get time to attempt to edit and upload if my internet connection doesn't crap out again.

Andy

Been a while since I put up an update. The tank is pretty much the same apart from the addition of some red root floaters from Big Tom.

Current view of the tank from my sofa
DSCN0134.jpg

A couple of fish pics
DSCN0135.jpg

DSCN0138.jpg

Really like these yellow tail congo's and they are now colouring up lovely
DSCN0139.jpg

It is almost certain in a short time I will be moving house so 450l headache to follow! The new house does have a perfect position for the tank so that's a bonus. Once the move is sorted a new plan will happen using this!

DSCN0133.jpg

Andy

Re your ? about willow moss. I found it wouldn't grow in my puffer tank@27temp but was happy in the cooler shrimp tank. Java moss does fine in the hot tank tho(both of mine are low tech)

Back