• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

45cm rock scape

afroturf

Over christmas I visited my uncle and he had a tank he didn't need so I was more thank happy to take it off his hands.

As I was never planning this tank its gonna be set up as cheaply as possible, helps when you seem to be permanently skint. So far all I've spent is £5.80 on the rocks and £24 on a cheapo light system thats on its way from the Hong Kong. The gravel (could do with a little more), substrate, filter, heater and plants I already own. Only got the hardscaping done so far so here a little pic.

4256664222_890ee59647_o.jpg

As the title says this tank will be more rocks than plants, I find them easier to keep. Behind the main rock there is a small amount of ADA Amazonia where I'll plant V.nana and further forward a smaller grass sold to me as Isoetes sp. also on the rocks I'll use some fissidens fontanus and Vesicularia sp.. I'd also like to use some Eleocharis sp. but am unsure as the tank will be low tech (non CO2) so am not too sure if it will grow to well.

As for the fish, I'll be keeping some Sicyopus jonklaasi I already own and either a small barb or Rasbora/Boraras sp.. Here's a photo of the Sicyopus I took soon after purchase a few months back, don't know why but I find it kinda spooky.

4255891203_68f7e1c9a5.jpg

looks very nice. Push the substrate up against the bottoms of the main stone, it looks like there a gap running all along the bottom of it, the fish choice is wierd, but seemingly wonderful, they look great!

AdAndrews said:
looks very nice. Push the substrate up against the bottoms of the main stone, it looks like there a gap running all along the bottom of it, the fish choice is wierd, but seemingly wonderful, they look great!

I plan on filling the gap around the main stone but I didn't have enough gravel to this with what I had left over from another tank. I went back to the shop I originally brought it from but they dont stock it anymore, its Geosystem river gravel if I remember correctly.

Could you not mix in a few handfuls of sand or another gravel?

Those are fantastic rocks.

There seem to be many small and unusual gobies and similar fish in circulation here. I really want to try a new nano or smallish setup to feature one or a small group.

love the big rock.do you know what it is and where did you get it.

nelson said:
love the big rock.do you know what it is and where did you get it.

It is slate, black slate to be precise and I got it from a local gardern centre, they also have a aquatic centre too where the rocks were nearly twice the price/kilo and all tiny pieces. Its really worth checking out local gardern centres they usually have a good choice of rocks and there cheap too.

Looks great already, Steven.

It's nice to see the effective and creative use of such a commonly available and relatively inexpensive hardscaping material.

Love the fish choice too. I've never seen Sicyopus before. You're somewhat of a goby fan eh? Very cool.

Looking forward to seeing Isotes too. I haven't seen that apart from in some old Amano 'scapes.

This is going to be one to watch I think.

George Farmer said:
Looks great already, Steven.

It's nice to see the effective and creative use of such a commonly available and relatively inexpensive hardscaping material.

Love the fish choice too. I've never seen Sicyopus before. You're somewhat of a goby fan eh? Very cool.

Looking forward to seeing Isotes too. I haven't seen that apart from in some old Amano 'scapes.

This is going to be one to watch I think.

Yeah George I am a bit of a goby freak, just think they've got really funny characters. I think you'll be dissapointed when you see the 'Isotes' as I don't think it is whats in Amanos scapes. Its still a very nice plant though kinda a cross between tenellus and V. nana.

wordy said:
looks very nice, but shouldn't Barbs be kept in shoals of 6+?

Your right most barbs should be kept in small groups but I'll be keeping very small ones, possibly Barboides gracilis which don't reach a inch in length.

I`m looking forward to seeing how you get on with Isotes sp too. It is a plant I have wanted to try for a long time.

Dave.

Back