• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

45cm Shrimp tank

Fred Dulley

Thought it was about time I got serious with this tank. Therefore I've changed it to a shrimp tank.

Tank - Clearseal 45x30x38
Filtration - Fluval 2Plus and Air powered Sponge filter (well matured filters)
Heater - 50W
Lighting - Single 15W T8 Daylight
Decor - Mini Landscaping rocks (thank you to Aquaessentials for kindly picking out small rocks for me)
, Black sand.
Plants - I'm guessing Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow Leaf' or Microsorum pteropus 'Philippine'. I don't know.
Inhabitants - currently 2 nerite snails and the odd ramshorn and MTS.

On Tuesday I might be picking up a few Harlequin Shrimp Caridina cf. spongicola and 10 Red Cherry Shrimp.

Some pics. Oh, and I'm open to suggestions as what to put in the way of plants. I've got some Spiky moss in other tanks which I will be undoubtly adding. Crypts are another option too.

a81536b5.jpg

13e124a4.jpg

d1359227.jpg

71e36588.jpg

Looks a lot better in person.
Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Fred Dulley said:
On Tuesday I might be picking up a few Harlequin Shrimp Caridina cf. spongicola and 10 Red Cherry Shrimp.
Where you getting the Harlquins from??? Been after them for ages, I am picking up some Cardinals on Sunday :)
Also don't buy any red cherries if they costing you more than a pound each, I am going to start shipping some of mine out soon, just need to figure out how to package them for posting. ;)

Plant wise, mosses and more mosses ;) looking good the tank. Although I think thats too much rock, might get a lot of debris in the middle of the rocks which is hard to clean. But the shrimp will look great in the dark colours of stone and substrate ;)

Keep up the good work :)

Cheers mate.
I'm getting the Harlequins from my LFS which I work at on Sundays. They were on the order list, so I asked to get a few in and I can pick the best ones. Probably going to be around £6-8. The 10 Cherry shrimps were ordered for me too....don't know how pleased the shop will be if I say "yeah, I don't want them anymore", lol. The more Cherries the better though :D They might be £1.99, however I do have my 15% discount too.
I'm keen to add lots of moss.
Technically yes, there is too much rock, but it's what I wanted to achieve, and in person it looks different (better). I will take into acount the debris amongst the rocks. Can't exactly stick the syphon in there without the fear of sucking up some of the shrimp. People with marine tanks use turkey basters to clean the live rock of debris. Might work.

aaronnorth said:
Paulo, take a look here
Thanks Aaron, I know how to pack them, its just getting the breathable bags and the boxes cheap enough that is the challenge! I am thinking of selling the cherries to active members at 15 for £10 + postage, which I think its a good deal. Less active or new members a pound each.

I've just been observing the tank close up and I've spotted some tiny, clear fry. Must be Galaxy fry, because before the re-scape I had some Galaxies in there. Well, I suppose it's good news that Galaxies can breed in hard, alkaline water.

Fred Dulley said:
I've just been observing the tank close up and I've spotted some tiny, clear fry. Must be Galaxy fry, because before the re-scape I had some Galaxies in there. Well, I suppose it's good news that Galaxies can breed in hard, alkaline water.

Congratulations indeed :)

You might like to take a gander at this site: http://celestialpearldanio.com/

Well, I went ahead and bought 9 Cherry shrimp a few weeks ago (one jumped out the bag when the staff were introducing the shrimp, doh!).
They've been great, growing very fast and are the best reds ever. Personally I can only see females.
I went into work today and I was suprised to see more Cherry shrimp on sale. I thought I would take the opportunity to buy 6 more, making a total of 15. :)
I also introduced an idian almond leaf and Spiky moss while back.
I'm dosing 1ml of TPN+ a day, nothing else. Water changes are twice a week, 25%. 15W on light with reflector.
Some pics.

The tank
21adde64.jpg

The first lot of Cherries
717b698b.jpg

Old Cherry on the left and new Cherry on the right.
c5116786.jpg

Sadly I just found a Cherry shrimp body. It was in two parts, the head and then the rest of the body. I had a suspicion it was a body and not a shedded exoskeleton because the eyes were apparent as well as there being "meat" inside the exoskeleton. Not hollow. :(
Hopefully that will be the only one.

More piccies.

Cherry shrimp with Bumble-bee Nerite.
2182d5d9.jpg

Contrast of Red Cherry on black substrate. Not the Spikey sp of MTS.
4fc35138.jpg

Update.
I don't add anything to this tank.
20% water change a week is all. Filtration is fluval2plus and there is that air powered sponge filter still.
Lighting is 1x24W powercompact t5 and 1x15W daylight t8. However the riccia soaks most of that up. The t8 is off during the end hours of the photoperiod which is roughly 10hours a day.
Temp at 27.

2009pic7.jpg

Doesn't do the tank justice.

2009pic1.jpg

2009pic2.jpg

Image4-2.jpg

Image5-2.jpg

Back