• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

48w t5s over 125l will I need co2?

fz1ben

Hello all

I'm playing with the idea of changing one of my ciclid(tangs) tank to a nice planted one but I'm a little stuck on the lighting front.Id like to use the standard light unit that came with the tank(eheim scubaline) but it's a twin t5 ho 48w.

My concern is if I set this up and try to go low tech no co2 I'm going to get plagued by algae.Will I need to run co2 with this amount of light?

Cheers. Ben

I run the same wattage on a 80x40x40 for 5 Hrs a day and have Had algae issues even running co2. I hadn't lighting too close to the surface. I've moved the light alot further away hanging them and so far so good. You could if possible run one tube or get floating plants so you lighting is reduced? how far from the water?

My tanks the same dimension, I can't really raise the lights above the suface they sit on the rim of the lid.The lights only work with both tubes in which is a shame as just removing one would of been an easy option. Do you think even with co2 the light will be too much?

A quick simple way to reduce the lighting is to put a reflector on one of the tube but put it on upside down so it reflects the light upwards :)

Funny you mention that, I did that about a week ago on my main cichlid display tank, will only one 24w be enough do you think?

So one tube I'd get by with low tech and both I'd need to go with co2? Decisions decisions, I've got two low tech tanks at the minute so might try the high tech route for a change.

Back