• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

48x24x24 high tech dirted

I have also noticed some dark spots on my Alternanthera reineckii, something is not quite right and I'm struggling to find out what.

40 amano shrimp added this morning. Got a very good price at lfs.
Upping my ferts slightly and these little critters and let's see what happens.

Right guys a little update and hopefully a few of you can give me a few pointers.

Got fed up with the 7up look in my tank, so have been doing lots of research on reactors and have settled on using a aps filter booster as a reactor. Been using @Zeus. Journal as a guide

I had a spare eheim pro 3 2080 so swapped out my fluval 306 and realised there isn't much space on top of the eheim inside the cabinet
However I managed to get it mostly plumbed in with a few elbows and jubilees.

Anyone that is familiar with the pro 3 series knows that they come with 2 outlets and 1 inlet.
Does anybody see any problem joining the 2 outlets via a 'y' piece so I can cut down on pipework in the tank?

I have my APS EF2 CO2 reactors x2 with minimal flow going through them ATM and all seems to be still working fine. Basically the value which I use to control the flow though them started leaking except when it was fully open :rolleyes: so its been left fully open for about a month

I have my APS EF2 CO2 reactors x2 with minimal flow going through them ATM and all seems to be still working fine. Basically the value which I use to control the flow though them started leaking except when it was fully open :rolleyes: so its been left fully open for about a month
Is there a reason why you wanted minimal flow going through them? Is that because they are on a bypass and don't want to effect the turnover in your tank.

Having mine on the spare eheim and a fx6 doing the 'flow' do you see any problem with the full 1600-1800lph going through them? Ofc that will/could be a lot lower when I add media.

Is there a reason why you wanted minimal flow going through them?

No - its the only position on the valve that doesnt leak :oops:

Is that because they are on a bypass and don't want to effect the turnover in your tank.

Tank turnover taken care of by Maxspect Gyres XF330 x2 - they have a max output of 9000lph each and tank 500l so need 5000lph so filter output irrelevant

Having mine on the spare eheim and a fx6 doing the 'flow' do you see any problem with the full 1600-1800lph going through them? Ofc that will/could be a lot lower when I add media
depends on if you have a bypass or not.

If no bypass the flow/resistance will be high in the APS EF2 which would reduce the output and the high flow may cause the microbubbles to be forced out in the tank

depends on if you have a bypass or not.

If no bypass the flow/resistance will be high in the APS EF2 which would reduce the output and the high flow may cause the microbubbles to be forced out in the tank

Bit of an issue with the Eheim leaking, ended up purchasing a fluval 407 with a rated flow of 1450lph, after media sponges etc have been added that will be considerably lower.
If that's still too much I can slow it down some more, as the fx6 is doing most of the turnover.

The aps booster is about half full of bio balls, at the mo they make quite a rattle, so only time will tell if I can stop that somehow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fill it will Bio balls works well or no Bio Balls works also- currently I have no Bio balls as per thread CO2 APS EF2 reactor with internal Venturi fitted ;)
Up and running with bio balls and a small round sponge to hold them relatively still. Had to adjust co2 as bbs was too high. Mostly bubble free in the tank. Much much nicer to watch now without peering through the sea of bubbles.

Few recent pics.
Hairgrass removed as was a nightmare with the shrimp foraging, especially against the glass. Also it just looked dirty in my opinion.
More anubias petite and bucephalandra red/wavy green added.
Cryptocoryne Parva added around the 'beach' area. More various Cryptocoryne added around the centre due to some 'support' plants being removed.
54078e0db96c4a38a8bb0eedcbb0fa98.jpg
ef1706c15d0867601a51b4daae2fec7e.jpg
0426729b6bb09440c1cf3698d0df68a1.jpg
afd7fe3805d2e88793a632ce0d08d7a4.jpg

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Finally got the glass covers off the tank (old lights were resting on them) so maintenance will be so much easier.
Already had several remarks along the lines of
"yes we will go to the park if your daddy can take his hands out of the tank for 5 seconds" I'm sure it's a look we've all seen before.

Back