4dkh solution help

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by tom_os, 19 May 2009.

1. tom_os

tom_os Member

i just received a pressurised co2 kit and it came with a large bottle of 4dkh soloution

i believe this is what you put in the drop checker. do i just add this or does something else need to go in with it?

also how often do i have to change the solution?

thanks

2. Superman

Superman Member

You need to use the standard bromo blue ph reagent to get the colour into the drop checker.
    I change mine once every blue moon, but others change it every couple of weeks.

3. tom_os

tom_os Member

where can i get that ph reagent?

4. Superman

Superman Member

From the LFS or Pets at Home, it's the standard pH testing liquid.
    Api do one but there's a few out there in the market.

5. tom_os

tom_os Member

i have some "Dennerle co2 inditacor" that came with it, its a blue colour

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

It'd probably be the right thing. But if you were to buy, you want the API PH Low range test specifically.

7. Simon D

Simon D Member

Don't use it neat. Just 2 or 3 drops will suffice mixed with water, preferable distilled, but this seems hard to come by these days.

I use purified water from my local pharmacist, I assume this is the same, but they couldn't tell me if it was purified by distillation!

Assuming you are using a standard bulb shaped drop-checker fill the bulb half way with the mixture as this will give optimum surface area to react and enable you to read the CO2 content of the water. Remember: it will take an hour or more for the drop checker to give an accurate reading, so don't adjust the injection rate until you have a stable reading.

More info on this topic is available under the CO2 section of this forum.

8. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Simon, so as not to cause further hiccups, it should be clarified that the pH reagent should be used with the 4dKH water that the OP has already (as indicated by the topic title), not distilled or tap or any other kind. In this way. As you quite rightly point out the OP would be well advised to review this thread found in the Tutorials Section=> CO2 MEASUREMENT USING A DROP CHECKER

Cheers,