• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

4x 60L or 50L tank stand?

Does it need to be decorative or just functional? People use metal shelving (think it's decribed as garage shelving) from diy stores but it's simple to knock up a stand with wood.
If you'd like a normal aquarium type stand then the dimensions of the tanks will probably be needed for ideas.

Does it need to be decorative or just functional? People use metal shelving (think it's decribed as garage shelving) from diy stores but it's simple to knock up a stand with wood.
If you'd like a normal aquarium type stand then the dimensions of the tanks will probably be needed for ideas.
It will be in the living room (Which is now turning into a fish room lol).
Im thinking wood with 4 of these tanks Amazon product ASIN B07DXNDW14

It will be in the living room (Which is now turning into a fish room lol).
Im thinking wood with 4 of these tanks Amazon product ASIN B07DXNDW14

I have one of those - be aware the quality is dreadful. I ordered it, and then raised a return request when I saw how bad it was, and was told to just keep it with a refund because because it cost more for them to pay to collect it than it was actually worth.

I have one of those - be aware the quality is dreadful. I ordered it, and then raised a return request when I saw how bad it was, and was told to just keep it with a refund because because it cost more for them to pay to collect it than it was actually worth.
Cheers Wookii.
Thank you for the warning 👍🏻

If you don't mind the rustic/handmade look then it's simple to knock up a stand for them. If you want them two above and two below then it's a slightly more difficult build but if it's all four side by side with the ends facing, it's simple.

If you don't mind the rustic/handmade look then it's simple to knock up a stand for them. If you want them two above and two below then it's a slightly more difficult build but if it's all four side by side with the ends facing, it's simple.
2 up 2 down. The only free space as all other spots are taken or will be used for a 4x2x2 and a 2x2x2 cube.
I would like to match the design to my tv stand and my blackwater stand (see images).

Attachments

• 91EA0FA6-29DB-4F85-8275-94AC7F342CEB.jpeg
    91EA0FA6-29DB-4F85-8275-94AC7F342CEB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • 3EE41638-A310-48F2-9522-38D89B10D5F6.jpeg
    3EE41638-A310-48F2-9522-38D89B10D5F6.jpeg
    640.6 KB · Views: 118
My stands are a lot less aesthetic than those and take more finess with wood than I give them. If you have good diy skills then it is possible to wrap the frame with a similar feel but it's not something I've done for a long time so hopefully a proper carpenter, rather than self proclaimed bodger, can give you some tips.

I'd say try a local chippy but after trying to get hold of one myself lately I know how busy, and expensive, they are at the moment.

Using black scaffolding tubes and thick old oak or other nice wooden planks you could probably make something looking quite nice and sturdy enough to hold these tanks without too great an investment and completely to size.

I think @zozo made a nice stand like that Wolf.
Yes, I did, made about 2 aquarium stands and a kitchen table in the garden with that stuff... It's indestructible and rather versatile for making racks, stands tables etc.. :) The nicest property is, never mind how crooked the floor is you can always level the shelves seperately.

You can get them in sizes from 1/2" up to 2"

For example.
1066-IMG_1501.JPG

Yes, I did, made about 2 aquarium stands and a kitchen table in the garden with that stuff... It's indestructible and rather versatile for making racks, stands tables etc.. :) The nicest property is, never mind how crooked the floor is you can always level the shelves seperately.

For example.
And with black tubes as well. I've seen square ones too recently, though more expensive.

For example.
1066-IMG_1501.JPG
These look really nice. How is the wood held in place?

After lots of searching for a cheap alternative I gave up and just ordered 4X Dennerle Scapers Tank 55L.

After lots of searching for a cheap alternative I gave up and just ordered 4X Dennerle Scapers Tank 55L.

I’ve never used one of those, but they are very popular and other Dennerle stuff I’ve had have always been good quality, so I’m sure they’ll be great.

I have had one of those for 8 years or so now, gave it to my son last week. Great little tanks. The rounded corner means less silicone that can decay or get ugly over time :) easy to clean.

These look really nice. How is the wood held in place?

Depends on the wood you use... Also, this is rather a versatile choice up to the skills you're in.

This is Douglass wood around such a steel frame.

Starting 2 shelves top and bottom.

dscf5499-kopie-jpg.79266

2 side panels and 2 doors...
dscf7426-jpg.86491

dscf7443-kopie-jpg.86511

Last edited:
Back