• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

5.5L Pico - Uni Cube.

Kristoph91

This is my little cube. I was going to write a journal, but as I havent got that good of a camera I decided to wait until the summer and start another journal and scape - using my mates camera. :)

It's called "Uni Cube" because I have it in my small room at University.
This tank has been planted 90% with plants I got off this forum, thanks for all the help guys.
The tank has only a few inhabitants, two Oto's and some RCS. Oh, and a few snails (including an assassin snail).
Here's some pics. Sorry for the quality, they were taken on my phone.

imag0295p.jpg

imag0294x.jpg

imag0292m.jpg

imag0293t.jpg

imag0283o.jpg

imag0282z.jpg

imag0285a.jpg

I know it's nothing compared to some of the scapes on here. But I'm still a n00b. :lol:
Please comment and criticise. :D

Thanks,

Kris.

Thanks, it looks "jungly", I like it like that. The filter is a serious eyesore though. I don't think so, they love chasing each other around it.
Kris

Is that the Fish are Fun Cube. Have been tempted by them in The Range.
Like the Jungle look to it.

Thanks guys, yeah it was only 25 quid so I saw it as a bargain. :) filter is horrible though. I think the new versions of this tank have LED lighting too.

Kris

Have you ever had too much CO2 from the DIY in such a small tank? I'm slowly saving the pennies to get a pressurised system for a 6G. Even FE homemade ones are still out of my range just now.....one day :lol:

Yeah Greg's Pea, I have to turn it off around twice a day because the water become saturated and I don't want to poison any fish. It's not too much trouble though so I don't mind! I think the nano CO2 kits just cost waaaay too much and introduce a lot of hardware to tiny tanks.
I have a 6Gal at home too, and I'm saving up to get it fully set up in the summer - FE DIY hopefully :D

Right, I used to have a CO2 system but sold it off a few years ago thinking I'd stick to low tech. Stupid ignorance, keep at least 1 of each you fool. :rolleyes:

That's why I've never went DIY, it's either been too big or small a tank for me to be bothered with and I don't want to kill the little fellas accidentally. I'm very adept at doing terrible things accidentally... Plus my girlfriend would think I'd truly lost it if I have to fiddle with it any more.

Your right about those mini systems, seems insane to me how small the canisters are!

Hey Kris,,

I think your uni cube looks great! As for the "eyesore" filter, It's not really noticable from the front on the black background anyway, just from the side.

Good job, I really like it :thumbup: and the floaters are cool too...
j

Gregs's Pea that's true! And yes, they are too small unless you have money to literally blow on CO2! :lol:

Thanks Jalexst! :) the background is just a black page cut to size! Looks alright for 5p on the printer!

Kris

Guys, anyone got an idea what I can put in here with the Otos that won't attack the shrimp ?

Kris

Ember tetras are only small, very passive and colour up nice.

I don't know, I appreciate this is a moot point but I still think that 5.5L is too small for anything but shrimp.

Can be argued many ways as lots of people weep at the sight of a sad dog on the telly but then happily tuck into battery farmed meat (which due to my biological background I feel is the only ethical way to raise meat, not for the animals, but for the rest of humanity).

How small an amount of liquor do you personally feel comfortable keeping a fish in?

But then why do I feel it's fine for shrimp? Totally unfounded, even using my own argument!

This could go far to esoterical for my brain so I'll leave it up to you!

That looks fantastic! I have a couple of these tanks (um, 3 actually, long story, don't ask! If anyone's looking to buy one please persuade me to sell you one of mine, I really don't need 3 identical tanks :-S) I've been umming and ahhing about setting one up as a planted nano for shrimp for ages. What have you done about the lighting? And can I ask what your maintenence routine is?

Thanks for the ideas :) going to kesgrave tropicals tomorrow so ill see what they have in stock!
Greg's pea, your probably right. I think I might turn it into a shrimp tank when I bring it home for the summer, but thanks for your philosophical input :)
Christie wow that's a fair lot of them! I have a lamp with tinfoil over it next to the other light, DIY dangerous :lol:
It works though, produces plenty of growth. Nothing really, the otos clean the glass, I just top up evaporation add small bit of fertiliser, then clean the filter sponge and refill my DIY CO2 bottle, which is plumbed into the filter sponge casing.. then diffused by the powerhead.
Are your 3 set up ? Is like to see what you have.

Kris

Not at the moment they're not, but yours has really inspired me! I've been debating setting one up without co2 for a while, but now I'm not so sure. Unfortunately, the spot on the computer desk where it would look really nice has been stolen and is now home to the o/h's marine pico... :twisted:

Just to stick my 2p in on adding more fish, I have to say I probably wouldn't. That said, if you can think of a fish that's physically small enough, and also fairly inactive, it might be doable. But I have to say, I can't really think of one, which is why I wouldn't add any.

Plopped a baby Molly in today. Spending all its time eating the roots of my floating plants!
Haha its not in there permanently guys, do don't worry. Just decided to take one off a mate. Tiny thing.
Not very tasteful, I know. But cute as hell.

Kris

This is an update guys, I'm going to be selling it soon.

Kilifish jungle
2.5 weeks ago.

imag040511.jpg

Shrimp breeding cube
5 minutes ago. :lol:

imag05841.jpg

Take a peek, be a critique.. and if anyone wants it, drop me a PM and an offer!

Also, sorry for the photo quality. They're from my phone, so not the best :oops:

Thanks

Back