• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

50 of what tetra?

I have not read through the whole post, but i thinks flame tetras look good, i have a shoal of 20 in my 30gallon, they are peaceful and develop a deep orange colour to them.

i was in same position recently, trying to decide on the main shoal!

i love neons but wanted something a bit different, so i decided to go for 2 shoals made of embers and green neons (false neons). altho at the mo, there are only 10 embers and 12 greens (planning 30-40 of each)
i still get the red and blue of the neons but as the green tetra's and the embers are smaller than neons i could have more!! ;0)

i need to mess about with lighting a bit to really bring the blue/green out but they are even more bright and vivid than the more usual neons or cardinals.

I've been thinking about fish shoals too. Do you think 50 Rasbora Espei would be too many in my (48x15x18) tank? I'll be getting a few Cory and some Amano's aswell to join the 3 Oto I have already.

TLH said:
I've been thinking about fish shoals too. Do you think 50 Rasbora Espei would be too many in my (48x15x18) tank? I'll be getting a few Cory and some Amano's aswell to join the 3 Oto I have already.

personally i think that would be pushing it! they can be about 4.5cm when grown.

Now I am not a massive fan of tetras in general but i do like bleeding heart tetras very much and have in the past kept a small shoal of these (about 8 if memory serves me right) albeit not in a heavily planted tank though. If mine were anything to go by then as juveniles they were pretty dull and boring but flourished as adults with some fantastic and frequent courtship displays. Not a shoaling fish like rummynose tetras but IMO well worth consideration.

I did see some diamond neons in MA @ St Albans last weekend and thought that they would look great in a small planted tank, a little bit like neons but different enough to rekindle some interest.

baron von bubba said:
TLH said:

personally i think that would be pushing it! they can be about 4.5cm when grown.

The fella only sells in 25's and I don't think 25 is going to satisfy me. I have another tank that I could utilise if 50 does look like too many, or there's always the LFS.

Im going to put a vote in for Lemon tetras....delightful little fish which colour up really well in a shoal in a planted tank

Caridinals are a lovley little fish.

Though, I understand they need mature tank/setup.

IMO cardinals always did it for me, but I recently bought 6 diamond tetras - they are just beautiful, especialy when I have the lights dimmed late at night. It probably depends on what your lighting level is like and also the colour of the main planting

I've recently bought 100 Rummies, and after having a shoal of cardinals and harlequins, these have to be the most active and responsive of any shoal i have owned. Of course i'll be adding to these. ;)

My fish choice is always based on the aquascape.

Longer, slender fish suit longer, shallower tanks. Deeper bodied fish suit taller tanks etc.

Colours are an important consideration too. As well as swimming/shoaling characteristics. Open layouts will suit tighter shoaling fish. Fish that don't shoal so well are better for 'jungles'.

Most fish stop shoaling when non-threatened...

cardinals are great for the lower half of the tank, but seldom go anywhere near the top.they don't seem to form a tight shoal when ive had them. harlaquins stay mainly in the upper part of the aquarium and form a very tight shoal, once settled they have an amazing colour. if i were to pick 50, i'd choose 30 of the cardinals and 20 of the more active harlaquins.

platinum tetras.

I'm redoing my 120cm and I plan to incorporate these into the scape. i've got this thing for whit fish....platinum angels too

Back