50% w/c daily?

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by Tom, 15 Oct 2008.

1. Would it hurt? 50% in my tank is less than a bucket, so takes less than 5 minutes. I've had a bit of algae since FoF too due to no dosing ( :rolleyes: ), and want to get it back on track.

But is there any downside to a 50% change at the end of every day, and then dosing in the morning (trying TPN, with ADA Spec Lights and Excel)?

(wasn't sure where to post this as it has a bit of everything in it!)

Tom

2. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

To me there is no down side, i was doing 50% a day on little mountain and the results were great, i dosed after the WC though.

3. jay

jay Member

Can't really see it hurting.
    Great for plants, like super EI :D
    If you're concerned about the filter bacteria or anything, I wouldn't waste time worrying mate.
    Even if, for some reason it did affect it. Any remote build up of ammonia will get flushed out with the next WC before it could do any damage.
    many discus breeders in The east don't bother with filters. Just a massive WC everyday.

4. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

I don't really measure how much I take out etc. but I do 50%s all the time with no bad effect.

5. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

Go for it!

Crystal clear water is the only side effect I notice when I increase the frequency of my 50% WC's ;)

6. Superman

Superman Member

I've been doing a 50% W/C each day since FoF due to green water. Today its cleared up. Certainly works.

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I do every other day in my nano, and that tank does better than any of my others.

sam