• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

50% Water change at 2 weeks not 1

Jamess

Hey guys. i have just bought a rio 180 and am planning on using E.I on it however. For 2 weeks i will be away on holiday with my parents. For that 2 weeks i the water wont be changed but the fish will still be fed by our neighbour. what will happen if the tank is not does for 2 weeks after being set up for around 10 months on E.I and what will happen if the water is left for 2 weeks not 1like normal?

I think you're asking for disaster, especially if you don't reduce your lighting. Clive is your man for help with this as I know his neighbour let him down on dosing when he was away...

the plants will suffer very badly and start to die and you will get algae issues due to low nutrient levels.

if you could get some small tubs and put the daily dosage (or whatever you dose) into those tubs and label them Monday, Tuesday etc, that might help?

or, if you buy something like TPN+ and dose that at about 10ml a day.

Hi,
For two weeks I would shut down all lighting and CO2, in effect performing a kind of blackout. I wouldn't trust a layperson with dosing, or even feeding, really so I would only have them feed twice a week or so. In any case keep only ambient lighting and non-CO2 and the plants will decline only slightly which is the lesser of evils. Once you get back turn on the CO2 do a massive water change and resume dosing.

Cheers,

Back