• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

55G ~ Windswept

Johno2090

Specs

OptiWhite Tank custom built by Poseidons Palace.
40"L x 16"W x 20"H

2x TMC Powerbox 400 Filters 1200 ltr/h.
2x Up Atomiser with Disposable 600g Co2 on Solenoid.
4x TMC GroBeam 500's and 2x TMC Aquaray "Natural Sunlight" (144watts, 24w ea.)
300w Inline Hydror Heater Set at 24C

40kg of "Landscape Rocks" About 20kg used.
25kg of "Fine Black Aquarium Gravel"
10kg of "Aquarium Sand"

Dosing EI Ferts 4 times a week.
25% water change every week.

Plants:

3 x Tropica 1-2 Grow Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
3 x Tropica 1-2 Grow Eleocharis parvula

Prob be more added as i get the tank going and get a feel for the scape.

Livestock (none added):

11 Harlequin Rasboaras
8 Peppered Corys
3 Chinese Algae Eaters (hate these but i bought them so ill look after them!)
1 Clown Plec
3 Ottos
1 Aquatic Dwarf Frog
2 Zebra Nerite Snails.

Pictures

Please Excuse the cloudy water, UpAtomiser is doing its job with the misting :D
Also notice that half my lights still haven't arrived, sitting in a depot in Town..Grrrr

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00020-1.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

Its definatly missing something that needs to be on the log, I was thinking maybe of a 'bonsai' Anubius (sp?) on the top section of the branch but i'm not sold on the idea just yet. Perhaps something leafy around the base of the branch too.

Otherwise i'm open to suggestions.

Also anyone able to check my EI dosing?

18 tsp. of KNo3
4.5 tsp. of Pot Phos.
11 tsp. of Mg.

Mixed into a 1000ml of water and dosed at 10ml 3 times a week.

Just an Update, my Lights finally arrived so am now running at full lighting! Should get that carpet staying nice and low!

DSC00021-1.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

Tank is cloudy this time due to the initial bacterial bloom! Filters should be running efficiently by the end of the week for my fish to move in.

Agreed Steve I actualy was thinking about adding this in... but i'm just not sure....

DSC00015.jpg

maybe with some crypts or some Staurogyrene around the base....

Hmmm some tall bushy crypts and then some broadleaved crypts to the front....I can see it. Might remove the rock that sits there at the moment I added it to make the two area's seem less "seperate".

Would some vallis work? Or the other long leaved one whose name escapes me?!?!?!?! If you poisitioned your filter so the leaves moved in the same direction as the wood it'd really bring an extra dimension to it! Staurogyne sp. round the base and needle leaf java on the wood would look amazing!
Hope this helps,
Matt

EDIT - C. Helferi - just remembered!

If I put them anywhere on the wood it would prob be at the very top of the main branch like a needle java and keep it well pruned so that it looks like it's in a strong wind. Def like the idea of crypts in the bottom right corner only prob is the sand is quite shallow. Will get some ordered and give em a try.

Well the critters have all move into the tank and already started re-arranging my plans... My Clown Plec didn't like the proposed Stone and Wood Cave i designed so has now made a nice burrow in the gravel next to the wood...Uprooting a few chunks of my lovingly planted grass.

Had to remove 1 of the 3 Chinese Algae eaters as he dug himself a burrow in the sand and then attacked anything that went near....NOT IN MY TANK MR AE! Strangely he isn't the biggest of the 3 so no idea why the others haven't bothered.

Added 7 Rasboaras and 4 Peppered Corys

So they are all now running with more than optimal shoal sizes!

Man I love this tank, really refreshing, leave the wood bare for sure. Just some c.helferi or blyxa would be cool.

Nice tank mate :)

I have some crypts on the way to fill that area, got 50 in total lots of very small ones that I think I'll dot about the tank. We shall see!

Thanks for the comments guys.

As of today I did a routine check of ammonia and picked up a massive ammonia spike of 2ppm!! So I've added a bag of Purigen to one of the filters, I've used Purigen to aid the cycling process a few times now. Contrary to popular belief it doesn't remove ammonia so the bacteria can still go about cycling, it removes the organic waste that would turn into ammonia, so by adding Purigen I effectively stop more being produced and allow the bacteria to deal with the ammonia in the tank. Once at 0ppm I remove the Purigen and monitor ammonia daily to make sure it doesn't spike again. This should not really effect the cycling of the tank unless I leave it in too long!

On a side not because of the ammonia I've taken out two of the LED strips to reduce lighting as i can see some algae creeping into the rocks, Quite pleased actually as i was worrying about the Otto's now at least i know they have food and are happy grazing!

I have also ordered an Aquaray 8 channel controler so I will be having Sunrise, Sunburst and Sunsets when it arrives and maybe even a little moonlighting if the program will let me! The Crypts should be arriving soon and im now wondering why on earth i ordered 50! it sounded like a good idea at the time but now i'm not sure where they are all going to fit! Either way theres going to be some dense planting and prob a few spare crypts for sale soon!

Plant growth is greater than I could have wanted, I'm seeing lots of runners from the E.Para and the L.Brazil is close behind. I'd still like someone to check over my figures for my E.I. dosing as its the first time I've made my own mix and don't want to over/under-dose.

Will keep updating with the ammonia spike and also perhaps a review on the TMC PowerBox 400, although I dont feel like i can give an extensive review until its been up and running for a few months.

Hi Johno,

Would like to see the start of a review on the TMC Powerbox....as am in the market for a new filter and these have caught my eye... good start on the tank by the way! liking the scape!

Very Nicely :D hahah will update when the crypts have made an appearance!

Well here's some updates:

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

Needs a trim, some yellowing of the old leaves.
DSC00014.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Full Tank Shots:

Old:
DSC00021-1.jpg

New:
DSC00011.jpg

I was thinking of adding something else to the front left of the tank in the area full of black gravel, the L. Brazil is taking a while to spread so might grow some moss or HC there. The floaters were only a Temporary thing but the corys and the ottos love cleaning the roots and sucking in air (usually early in the morning!) So I can't bring myself to remove them.

Back