• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

570l tank - 2 weeks old. Latest photos added

Ajm200

Really excited as the LFS have just called to say that my 5'x2'x2 custom built tank and cabinet are in :thumbup:
Seems like a good point to start a journal as it maybe delivered on Saturday (Nice Mother's day gift!)

Spec
Tank: 5x2x2ft - 570l
Filters: 2 x Fluval 405
Lights: 4 x 54w T5
CO2: JBL 602
Substrate: 240lbs Eco-Complete (If it gets here soon - order delayed again)

One minor issue. There's nowhere to put this thing!

Need to reorg the living room, move 4 fish tanks out of the way and do all of this with a sick child on each sofa. Should be fun. Better get on with it.

Re: 570l tank - what was I thinking?

That's the same size as my tank, although mine is currently more a fish tank with a few messy plants than a planted tank with a few messy fish...

With gravel, rocks, wood, etc. you'll probably find a 5x2x2 holds closer to 450 litres. :)

To put this upgrade in perspective. Until last week my biggest tank was 60l.
It's going to fill the wall opposite one of our sofas. If I can get it right it could be the centrepiece of the room.

Looking forward to seeing this set up. I am still awaiting my tank but yours being a similar size I will be very interested on how you get started.
My tank is my first one really.

simon

Wow that is set up looks like You have a loads work to do with it,just want to see some pictures hope You will put some in saturday

The new tank is here and it is massive. Can't fill it for a while yet as the silvone is still curing but I'll post a pic soon.

Just a quick update on progress...

Black background is in place.
Filter hoses are in place for one filter but the ends are lying in the bottom of the tank and I can't reach them. :(

I'm only 3 inches taller than the tank/cabinet setup so planting is going to involve so interesting balancing on a step ladder! Had a nice plan drawn out with lots of stems at the back but might have to rethink

Now considering really sloped substrate. Maybe 6-8 inches at the back so it is easier to reach for planting.
This is the wood that I have to use. Bought for me at xmas both bits are big

P1010166.jpg

P1010168.jpg

this one I will probably sink into the substate a bit so that it is flat as I think it looks like a bit odd
P1010171.jpg

For plants.. I am going to use some stuff from my old tanks and add some new stuff I've got these to choose from
java fern
ludwigia ovalis
wendtii brown and green
rotala wallichi
rolata rotundefolia
hornwort
pennywort
various swords
various mosses

Would like
hygro rose or ludwigia mullertii
heteranthera zosterfolia

but I guess it depends on what will grow in our local hard water

Looking forward to seeing this tank develop lots of nice pieces of wood there :D

Sounds like fun :) Look forward to some more pics. Love the wood too

Ajm200 said:
I'm only 3 inches taller than the tank/cabinet setup so planting is going to involve so interesting balancing on a step ladder!

What WERE you thinking indeed! :lol: Sounds like an amazing set-up, and that's impressive wood - I can picture the stump sprouting out above the water. Keep those pictures coming!

Ajm200 said:
I'm only 3 inches taller than the tank/cabinet setup so planting is going to involve so interesting balancing on a step ladder! Had a nice plan drawn out with lots of stems at the back but might have to rethink
Try one of these... We have one in the kitchen at home to help the wife get into the wall cabinets as she's only little... Very sturdy...
0095360_PE233927_S3.JPG

Got one of the platforms from costco but it isn't high enough. :)

The cabinet is 2.5' tank another 2' and the hood is another 5" so it is nearly 5'. It's 2' front to back so even on a stool or platform I'm just not tall enough. Time for growmore in my wellies :). I've got an old workmate plus somewhere in the garage. I think that is fairly tall and would make a sturdy platform.

When I fill the tank I'll just make a nice steep slope with the substrate so that I can reach the back. When I have substrate.. I've been let down again on the Eco complete. I've had 12 bags on order for weeks but it seems there's a supply problem at the wholesalers.

Whatever I use I'll need loads so I might have to go with Manado. Not too keen on the colour but I'm likely to be waiting a while for anything else. There are lots of Maudenhead Aquatics in the area so I should be able to get enough if I go to a few. As it is lacking in nutrients I'll probably need something under it - maybe aquabasis. Just have to decide what and resign myself to many hours washing gravel..

Here's a pic of the tank (taken by my son who seems to be a better photographer than me. Not as cool as the lovely opti-White rimless tanks some of you have but still a great improvement on the cheap,chipped 60l I had before.
P1010183.jpg

The black background is doing a great job of hiding the ugly black fluval pipes.

Can't wait for Easter weekend when hopefully I'll have the substrate be able to start setting it up

Lovely stand and hood.
So looking forward to seeing pictures of it set up and running.

Always Broke said:
Lovely stand and hood.
So looking forward to seeing pictures of it set up and running.

Thanks. I'd love to take the credit but I was all made to order for us. We lack the skills to make a cabinet ourselves. The work you are doing on yours is amazing

Back