5ft Bookshelf Aquarium - River Scape

Discussion in 'Journals' started by doylecolmdoyle, 5 Feb 2018.

1. doylecolmdoyle

doylecolmdoyle Member

Cheers for the info, I cant really recall what they looked like when I first got them, the few remaining are very big now (compared to the other boraras I keep) seem healthy and very active, like you said they zip around and show the other fish who is boss... even tho there is only 3 of them and about 30 other boraras.

I have a few golden mountain minnows in one of my outdoor thanks that I want to rescape so they will be the first fish into this tank, I may just stick with mountain minnows

zozo likes this.
  2. Konsa

Konsa Member

Hi
    If U deside on tge minows favour.Try to find
    Tanichthys linni wich has more colour and long fins.I have them i my tank with the Sap puffers and they are my best buy.Great colours and personality
    Regards Konsa

doylecolmdoyle likes this.
  3. alto

alto Member

For the scale of the tank (long but neither tall nor deep so I'd treat this like a smaller tank rather than a typical 1.5m tank) I'd go with fish smaller than the common mountain minnows
    FWIW I've seen M kubotai in a 120cm long tank & they loved the length (flow in this tank was moderate, I don't think of them as riverine fish - unlike some of the loaches etc)

Anyone else see this the round stones ?

[​IMG]

4. doylecolmdoyle

doylecolmdoyle Member

I do agree, smaller fish would be better, and with the flow not being and high as I would have liked M kubotai would probably enjoy the tank, any other small fish that enjoy flow?

5. zozo

zozo Member

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hara-jerdoni/

Note their abillity to change color.. Seen over 6 color paterns changing over the day. No idea what it triggers, could be underground color. :)

Last edited: 1 Apr 2018
    Tim Harrison and doylecolmdoyle like this.
  6. doylecolmdoyle

doylecolmdoyle Member

zozo likes this.
  7. zozo

zozo Member

Dunno, sounds strange, because their distribution is closer to Australia than it is to Europe. Makes you think to should be easy to obtain.

8. doylecolmdoyle

doylecolmdoyle Member

You would thinks so but Australia have very tight laws on importing any plants or animals, even more so strict in my State, we cant buy plants from outside of Western Australia, makes aquascaping pretty tuff!

9. zozo

zozo Member

Than ou are still doing a great job.. :clap:Worth even a bigger compliment..:thumbup:

10. doylecolmdoyle

doylecolmdoyle Member

Added some wood, unsure if it will stay, would like to find another bit that I can stick behind the biggest stone to make it look like the wood flows the length of the rock formation.

[​IMG]
    IMG_1413w
    by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Last edited: 2 Apr 2018
  11. CooKieS

CooKieS Member

Woods looks perfect too me, looks very natural

12. doylecolmdoyle

doylecolmdoyle Member

Cheers to me it looks to distracting / busy, but I think when the Val grows across the tank more it will make the wood look more natural

CooKieS likes this.
  13. alto

alto Member

Agree - more wood behind the biggest stone :)

Hard jerdoni are "less likely" on most fish lists - AFAIK they are wild caught so seasonal
    They definitely prefer cooler water or perhaps it's just about oxygen levels (natural waters are high in oxygen)

14. Gill

Gill Member

Great scape, hope i dont ruin it by saying - reminds me of super mario and yoshi landscapes

doylecolmdoyle, pepedopolous and mort like this.
  15. doylecolmdoyle

doylecolmdoyle Member

Added 8 "tanichthys micagemmae" Vietnamese White Cloud Mountain Minnows yesterday, the store only had 8 but said they should get more so I will hopefully add to the school. They are super skittish and scared of any movement around the tank, hopefully they settle in and get use to some movement around the tank, I may add about the same amount of glowlight danios next week to see if they help make the minnows feel more at home.

I had to remove the wavemakers, they trapped the fish several times and the fish didnt like them at all, I guess wavemakers are not designed for such shallow tanks, if the fish got anywhere near them they basically got trapped by the force of the wavemakers pulling water back into them, it was concerning to watch.

I am going to run a second filter so that will be 2x 1400lph filters but I think adding any hillstream loaches my have to be put on hold until I rescape, without wavemakers surface movement is minimal, i think next time I will create a proper river manifold setup

16. Edvet

Edvet Global Moderator Staff Member

You could use a pump like this
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    with a big block of aquariumfoam over the inlet

Sarpijk, dw1305 and doylecolmdoyle like this.
  17. Edvet

Edvet Global Moderator Staff Member

Sarpijk, dw1305 and doylecolmdoyle like this.
  18. zozo

zozo Member

Beter late than never.. :) I lost the url of the tutorial to build a river strean setup from a standard tank in aestheticaly the best way possible.
    With using the same pumps like @Edvet metions, connected to an inlet piping layed over the bottom bellow the sand to the other end of the tank. Where the inlet is above the sand with a filter sponge.. This creates the best liniar stream like flow patern available in a standard fish tank. I'm sure @Tim Harrison still knows to locate this Tut.. I remember he posted it here some time ago... :)

19. webworm

webworm Member

20. zozo

zozo Member

I believe that's the one.. :thumbup: And than, take some aquarium safe silicone kit covet the pumps outside with it dip it in a very fine lava gravel. Something like fine .05 x 1.0mm fuji sand..That way the pump will get a lava gravel coating. :) Than glue mosses and Microsorum ferns to the gravel.. In time the pumps completely blend into the scape.