• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

6 hrs vs 8 hrs light, what's better to fight algae?

Arturosito

Hello, I'm having some mild algae issues on my high teck 25gal. Some green hair algae, some black beard on rocks, and some cyano here and there. But the plants are healthy and most are algae free. The tank is almost 3 months old, so it is pretty new and because of that my lighting schedule is 6 hrs. I've heard that 8 hours is the ideal and I'm just curious whether that would generate algae spikes or the plants would appreciate it so much that algae would actually be reduced. What's your opinion?

Without knowing your setup i would suggest if your having issues at 6hrs there only going to incrrase at 8hrs.

I have a custom HOB filter, 50w Hiro Aquatics WRGB lamp, 25 gal, and Co2Art PRO SE setup, osmosis water 50% weekly, 14 newly added ember tetras, 2 cherry shrimp, 4 amano. Heavily planted, 70% covered with plants.

As long as all the plants are adapted and producing new growth i'd give it a go. In increments over a week or so maybe

You can allways dial it back if it goes the wrong way.

I have one tank the lights so over the top 5hrs is enough.

EI dosing covers quite a large range, plus your using RO water which is basically water stripped of all minerals, it is normal to mix the RO water with tap water or use a remineraling agent/salts to replace the minerals you have removed to levels the plants need.
Also most ferts don't contain Nickel which plants need in very small quantities which tap water normally has, so if using pure RO some fert with Nickel is advisable or a very little needs adding to your fert mix ( think is about 0.004 ppm No per week, off top of my head)
I would keep your lights at 6hrs and raise the light or reduce the intensity and take a closer look at your fert regime.

For those missing elements which product do you recommend?

Well the cheapest option would be to mix the RO water with tap water, most folk go for a 50:50 mix. You should be able to get a water report from you local water supplier, which should confirm what the local water parameters are in your area, if you post a screen shot of it it would be helpful.

Alternatively you could make up a solution to make up the NI levels -NICKEL (II) SULFATE HEXAHYDRATE is the compound some folk use to make up the Ni when using pure RO water. we can advise you the mix also if you choose to take that route.

Unfortunately most commercial ferts don't contain Ni ( or dont claim they do)

Plants dont need much Ni al all and I dont think thats the issue in your tank, but doing a 90:10 mix of RO:Tap water mix will probably be enough to satisfy the plants need for Ni.

But more info on the EI mix you use would be helpful too

Back