• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60 cm - Old fashioned Dutch style scape

Maurits

Hi All.

please let me first use the opportunity to introduce my self. My name is Maurits, born in Holland and moved to the Uk last year.

Into the aquatics already almost 30 years, I had my first tank when I was 7 or 8 or so. Lost interest 10 years ago due to poisson dart frogs, but since a couple of Months also completely back into the aquatics.

I have for the moment in our house a spare room for my frogs.

palu06112009-1.jpg

164.jpg

163.jpg

_MG_1747.jpg

And this was my old paludarium in Holland

IMG_0103Large.jpg

IMG_0096Large.jpg

_MG_0625.jpg

_MG_0633.jpg

As this is a temporary house i don't have got the intention to build this big paludarium up again, but next year when we hopefully move permanent than for sure it will be set up again.

On the tank part I have currently one Aqua qube running for 3 months now

qube4006112009-1.jpg

And this is my latest project

4hillsthebeginning06112009-1.jpg

Tank size is 60 x 30 x 35 cm

Lighting : 2 x 18 watt pl.

75 watt heather and internal filter.

Co2 etc will be added later this week.

Re: 4 hills - Dutch styled scape

Welcome Maurits my friend :thumbup:

I've got to say, your paludarium in Holland was brilliant! And the frogs are awesome little guys :D

Looking forward to seeing more plans for the scape... any plants in mind yet?

Maurits said:
wow! :wideyed: you certainly know how to grow plants emersed, and your frogs looks so amazing and colourfull! :D
and your old paludarium is very nice!
good luck with you new set up! and keep us posted on how you get on :clap:
welcome to the forum also :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:

JamesM said:
Welcome Maurits my friend :thumbup:

I've got to say, your paludarium in Holland was brilliant! And the frogs are awesome little guys :D

Looking forward to seeing more plans for the scape... any plants in mind yet?

will let you know soon, somebody in Holland has got a surprise package for me and as I understand some of them are quit rare.

For sure that I will use riccia around the 3 stones and flame moss in front of the riccia, as the difference in green is so beautiful, on the left part I will use glosso and I am looking to get a small red vallis variety which i will use as an eyecather.

Probably also Ammania senegelensis, but I am not sure yet, pending how many red plants i will find in the mentioned package

I adore poison dart frogs. Quite the colony you had going; did you breed them? Good luck with your tanks :D

aquaticmaniac said:
I adore poison dart frogs. Quite the colony you had going; did you breed them? Good luck with your tanks :D

Still do, currently leucomelas, Auratus and Tri colors, but soon I will have some other varieties as well. In holland we call this MTS, multi Tank syndrome, which I can say now i have with 9 paludaria, and 3 fish tanks :D

Maurits said:
In holland we call this MTS, multi Tank syndrome, which I can say now i have with 9 paludaria, and 3 fish tanks :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: -haha i like that! :thumbup:

Those are nice setups. You have accumulated some pretty cool plants and I like that little gang of frogs.

Do you know what the white-spotted plant in this shot is?

Maurits said:

Welcome to UKAPS, Maurits!

I really like the Dutch style of aquascaping, and it makes a refreshing change to the Nature Aquarium style that is very popular in the UK. I wonder if Dutch will ever get more popular over here in the future?

My first 'scape was Dutch style, and I set it up before I even realised what the Dutch style was, so I guess you could say that's my own natural style before I was heavily influenced by Amano and the Nature Aquarium concept.

Do you know Paul Meelen? He has given me some great links to some excellent Dutch 'scapers.

We also have many MTS 'victims' over here!

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... blogid=168

Love the paludaria too!

Welcome aboard Maurits!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. I love your frogs, as you well know ;)

Lovely looking tanks both above and under the water. Have you any more?

Wow That Paladrium with the Bromeliads and frogs was amazing. Looking forward to see much more from you :thumbup:

So finally my surprise box arrived from Holland, which causes me already some problems, to much plants.

The first thing I had to do was changing the rocks

_MG_2220.jpg

thanks to JamesM.

After that the planting started, and half way my lovely wife started commenting that I was more heading for a normal Dutct Style aquarium than a proper aqua scape. Which at the end i have to admit, I had something in my head which completely changed because of all the plants I received. So basicly the only solution is that I leave this one as it is and that I have to set up another one :D.

So half way tonight

_MG_2222.jpg

and more less finished, same like Mark said in his topic, I really hate fresh tanks especially when there are to many submersed plants.

_MG_2227.jpg

One of my new samples, Staurogy SP, looks simular to H. polysperma, but this one is a very slow grower and max height is aprox 15 cm.

Staurognysp.jpg

This is always the fun of Fresh plants, bubbling Rotale wallichi.

_MG_2229.jpg

Some other new plants I have Tonnia, a green form of Rotala macrandra, small leave var of javafern, Red form of Ludwigia palustris, so yes exciting how these plants will perform after a few weeks

So Day 1

_MG_2268.jpg

it starts looking a proper original old fashioned Dutch planted tanks precisely according to the dutcH aquascaping rules

Thanks Aaron.

I understand what you want, but in the old fashioned way of Dutch scaping you look at other things. neigbourhoud plants are always with a different colour, different leave shap and different size. In the old fashioned style it'a allowed to go for red plants on the sides.

The eye catchers on 1/3 of the tanks are the Vallisneria Torta and the Aponogeton Madagascariensis.,

pending how the ludwigia on the red en the Ammania Graciles on the back ground will develop I agree that's maybe a better idea to move the Rotale macrandra. just wait if I can keep the RM alive, normally I kill this plant within a few weeks. :)

Back