• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60 cm - Old fashioned Dutch style scape

Re: 4 hills - Dutch styled scape

loving those plant selections, nice blend of colours looking forward to seeing this mature :thumbup:

Day 2

_MG_2286.jpg

en my new toy :D :D :D

_MG_2287.jpg

saintly said:
looking nice Maurits.

the wallichi is looking vibrant. mine is too :D i'm looking forward to change that it makes.

tinner leaves, 2 cm bigger and orange / red is the target. we will see how the develop in different tanks as yours are from the same batch. nice piece of research

You have a real nice plant selection in there with contrasts of colors and textures. It looks so much larger than 60cm.

hydrophyte said:
You have a real nice plant selection in there with contrasts of colors and textures. It looks so much larger than 60cm.

Thanks, that's the basic principle of old fashioned Dutch aquascaping, although I missed one rule and that says 1 variety per 10 cm , so officialy in my tanks is 6 varieties and 2 eye cathers allowed.

You can run to the UK my friend, but there is no hiding ;)

Nice new tank! However, you forgot the golden rule of Dutch aquascaping; you should always have green-red-green-red-green :lol:

you mean that's the top of your body, red hair en the green bits are brain eaters who are always hungry

Hi Maurits,

We dont see many dutch scapes here on ukaps. I believe this is more to your liking? Will you be following the strict rules of dutch style aquariums or is this your own take on its genre?

Cheers.

Maurits said:
you mean that's the top of your body, red hair en the green bits are brain eaters who are always hungry

having a brain and being nuts for the hobby does not co-exist; you of all should now that ;)

@Graeme; by using rocks in his scape, Maurits already strayed already from the path of the original (and illustrious) Dutch Aquascape. If there is a demand, I can prepare a post on typical Dutch Aquascapes one time.

Graeme Edwards said:
Hi Maurits,

We dont see many dutch scapes here on ukaps. I believe this is more to your liking? Will you be following the strict rules of dutch style aquariums or is this your own take on its genre?

Cheers.

As my friend Vivarium :D ( ladies and gentleman keep your daghters inside ) already said I have broken already a few rules. ( the stones, not a proper background, the green, red, green rules and to many plants for this size. ) but the tank is not finished and will rescape after I know which plants will grow and than I will go more strict to the rules.

before this thread decends into a vocal fight, its each to their own. the owner decides what a tank will look like and their choice.

Nick, don't worries Vivarium and I are very close friends , but we like to teas each other sometimes

i've always had an urge to do a true, dedicated dutch style tank. to see all those stems beautifully pruned must look amazing.

Vivarium said:
Maurits said:

having a brain and being nuts for the hobby does not co-exist; you of all should now that ;)

@Graeme; by using rocks in his scape, Maurits already strayed already from the path of the original (and illustrious) Dutch Aquascape. If there is a demand, I can prepare a post on typical Dutch Aquascapes one time.

This would be an interesting read Marco..worth posting up for all to see. There is little known of the true Dutch scape, but many people like to dable with it.

Cheers.

As my first idea is not gonna work, I have decided this morning to go for the 95 % old fashioned, why not 100% because I haven't got a back ground which is needed in a Dutch scape.

To go for the real Dutch scaping you have to follow quit a few rules.

- 1 variety of plants per 10 cm tank.
- all same variety of plants are in groups together on one place
- neighbor plants are always different size, leave shape and colour
- each plant must have the space to grow
- you must create eye cathers and depth
- limited use of stones of wood.
- no visible technics like filters, hose pipes etc n( hide them with plants )
- and there some more rules which I forgot, marco will add them later as he is the expert.

On the livestock part their are also rules, but that's for later.

DST-leftpart15112009.jpg

This is the new left side of the tank, not finished, but the first step.

My Tonia needs to grow so it will cover my Co2 hose and heather, in front of the Tonia I will create a so could plant street with the Ludwigia palustris by changing the height van low to middle. The Aponogeton henkelianus is the eye cather in this part and the Glossostigma will cover the fore ground.

DSTrightpart15112009.jpg

right part something simular, Ambulia, Heternanthera Zostrefolia needs to grow, so they will cover back ground and filter, Ammania is ment to be the depth part by starting from low to high, the vallisneria is the eye cather and the moss needs to cover the fore ground.

DST-frontview15112009.jpg

This is an overview, absolutely not ready yet, that's the Down side if you go for the Dutch style, it will take weeks before you are getting there . But as i have already set up a nano scape as well it doesn't matter

Ah, that looks more like it.

However, please note the Aponogeton is not at the strong focus point on the left. In adition, the Vallisneria is at the same line and will also grow to to surface.

Thanks Marco

as always use full comments, I will let the plants grow a little bit more and than I will change some bits and pieces

Cheers, Maurits

well, it was a pleasure to meet Maurits today. :D

he kindly showed me his tanks and his frog set ups...which were mightily impressive it has to be said.

IMG_3275-01.jpg

It was also great to talk about the 'Dutch' style tank and how you create the 'streets' and groupings of plants.

IMG_3274-01.jpg

by the way Maurits, I'm still flying after the extra strength shots of expresso style coffee :lol: ....damn, I need the toilet again!

Back