• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60 cm opti-white - Update

JEK

I've just ordered a 60x30x36 cm tank and equipment. Looking very much forward to start my first hi-tech planted, that's not a nano. :D

Specs:

Lightning: Arcadia overtank luminaire 2x24 w (the old model)
Filtration: Circulation only, no filter. I'll be using a koralia nano 900 l/h.
Substrate: AS Amazonia normal and powder type.
CO2: Mini kit with 95 g bottle

I haven't decided the layout yet, but I've ordered 25 kg of sieryu stone so an iwagumi is not unlikely. ;)

It will probably take a week or two before I can start as all equipment is bought from abroad. Unfortately we don't don't have ADA or good quality rimless and braceless tanks in Denmark. :(

Re: 60 cm opti-white

Lots of new journals starting at the moment, this is good!
Looking forward to seeing this. My only thought is that the Koralia might not be enough on it's own. Although it is 900lph and it can move a lot of water, the broadness of its outlet means that you won't get as much current as you would from a normal outlet or spray bar. See how it goes though, it might be fine

Tom

Nice but that co2 95g will last you about 2 weeks at best. Consider something bigger in long run. Good luck.

Radik said:
Nice but that co2 95g will last you about 2 weeks at best. Consider something bigger in long run. Good luck.
Sure about that? From what I heard it should last about a month...
My only thought is that the Koralia might not be enough on it's own. Although it is 900lph and it can move a lot of water, the broadness of its outlet means that you won't get as much current as you would from a normal outlet or spray bar. See how it goes though, it might be fine
You might be right about that. I'll try to change it to the one on 1600 l/h.

60 cm opti-white

Definatly go for a more co2 than 95g, I used to use them and ended up getting through 1 every two weeks. If u buy a regulator and a bigger co2 bottle you'll save yourself a lot of bother in the long run.

Why won't you be using a filter? I'm guessing the bacteria in the subtrate is gonna do all the nitrogen cycle work? A bit skeptical here but eager to be proven wrong! :thumbup:

60 cm opti-white

That makes sense doesn't it? I noticed on my 5ft tank that when I doubled filtration, plant life went downhill. The plants were healthiest in the early stages when I had only one small filter running. This was before I went high tech though.
But it does make me keep thinking about trying a tank with only one small filter and sticking this way. I guess the only way to measure the difference would be to stick with as close a setup as possible, with the same fish stocking density. I'm also thinking of removing alot of the small media and only have chunky foam and large items to allow more water flow. So lose the surface area of the trays of sintered glass media altogether.

This Walsted method I read of keeps drawing me in :)

Good luck with your new tank and I'll look forward to following your journal :)

Cheers

Gavin

flygja said:
Why won't you be using a filter? I'm guessing the bacteria in the subtrate is gonna do all the nitrogen cycle work?

Thats the idea. I have a small filter if it doesn't work.

Mrmikey said:
Definatly go for a more co2 than 95g, I used to use them and ended up getting through 1 every two weeks. If u buy a regulator and a bigger co2 bottle you'll save yourself a lot of bother in the long run.

Something I will consider for sure.
I'm using it on a 27 l now and it have lasted 3 weeks so far...

JEK said:
Radik said:

Yes I am sure my 400g bottle lasted 2 months and I am using solenoid so it is turned off over night. I had it on 45L (covered tank) 1bubble per seconds for one month and then 80L (open tank) 4 bubles per second for another month so 60L average. Open and closed tank do huge difference + surface agitation.

Radik said:
JEK said:
Radik said:

Yes I am sure my 400g bottle lasted 2 months and I am using solenoid so it is turned off over night. I had it on 45L (covered tank) 1bubble per seconds for one month and then 80L (open tank) 4 bubles per second for another month so 60L average. Open and closed tank do huge difference + surface agitation.

That means you've had 2,5 bps on average. With a solenoid the CO2 should last roughly twice as long as without soleniod.
So it would have lasted around a month running 24/7... At my bubble rate it would have lasted around 2 months without solenoid.
I have used my 95 bottle for 3 weeks at little over 1 bps, running 24/7.
So if your bottle was at my size it would have lasted only around 2 weeks.
I hope my "math" makes sense, I'm not sure it's correct. ;)
I think you bubble counter is very different from mine or you may have had a leak...

Right your's bubbles can be of different size than my. Also bigger tank has bigger surface area so a lot more CO2 will escape. But try it and see.

Radik said:
Right your's bubbles can be of different size than my. Also bigger tank has bigger surface area so a lot more CO2 will escape. But try it and see.
Will do that. :) Thanks for your help.

I changed the pump to 1600 l/h, but now I'm getting worried that it will be too much as I'm considering to use my eden 501 filter on the tank also (it's on 300 l/h). What do you guys think? Will the circulation be too powerful?

Any opinion on this?

i Dont see why it should be too much,is the output not controllable ?

john.

john starkey said:
i Dont see why it should be too much,is the output not controllable ?

john.

You got a point there. Hehe :lol: It has adjustable output, I never thought about that. How stupid. :D

Re: 60 cm opti-white - Hardscape time!

The tank arrived today. :D
Here's a few pics, crappy as usual.. :D

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0010.JPG

PICT0011.JPG

(i realized that it's very diffucult to control a bag with aquasoil if you try to take photos at the same time.. Aquasoil looks really messy on the floor :lol: )

I played around a little with some of the rocks. Nothing final, it's just to give you an idea of what the rocks looks like.
Are they too small?
PICT0019.JPG

Re: 60 cm opti-white - Hardscape time!

It could be an interesting ascape jek... Not the norm for the 'Iwagumi' look, but good all the same. :thumbup:

I'm guessing your not wanting a classic iwagumi arrangement?

Back