• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

600 litre planted discus tank ( Journal)

Maurits

Hi all.

think it's about time to be a bit more active with posting my journey to my 600 litre planted discus tank.

People who know me know that I have a back ground in the trade so if mention certain products I use please don't see this as an advert. I think nobody will drive to an LSF to buy stuff if you have it of your own in the warehouse.

anyway in the past when I lived in the Netherlands I had a 130 cm Dutch style planted tank and an identical Paludarium with Poisson dart frogs. With both I have done lots of competitions and both have won quite a few prices.

when I moved to the UK I decided t keep the paludarium and try both pond and marines but my love is with plants so the pond is empty, the marine tank is gone and I have purchased a new Oak tank 150 x 60 x 65.

Eventually it will be the house for 8 Stendker Discus but first I want everything up and running.

On the picture below the tank is two weeks old now, since today I have started adding Co2 with a FE and a regulator and solenoid valve from Co2art ( anybody mentioned that these guys offer a really quick service ? )

Co2 will be on for around 10 hours a day enough for a healthy plant grow but in a way that don't have to trim them weekly.

Lights are own led lights 8 tubes in total, 3 of them are on 14 hours, 3 of them 10 hours and 2 for 6 hours now, this will increase over the next couple of weeks.

Funny enough I am still facing some ammonia problems, not massive 0.38 which is down to the fact I think that I have stocked the tank quite quickly with a lot of fish.

Plants, most of them are slower growers again down to the fact that I don't want do trimming every day. once a week or once every two weeks suits me better.

29032014-01.jpg

please feel free to comment.

Best regards

Maurits

I think the tank looks really nice and if you can keep that amount of swimming space for the Discus they will love it especially as they have some nice undergrowth. I just love Discus and would love to dabble again but where I live I would really need to use RO water and don't want to go down that route.

You say 'a lot of fish' but not seeing any in that pic. Hope you can post some updates. First class:clap:.

Harry

evening, just back from a few days in Germany or a business trip, have done today a small trim and a big clean up so pics are not the best in the world and yes I know I still need to clean my windows

050420142.jpg

050420144.jpg

050420145.jpg

one of my favourites, green swort tails

050420147.jpg

one of my aphyosemion Nukka

050420149.jpg

and my favourite. Irr Wernerii

0504201411.jpg

Getting more and more happy with this tank, plants are growing but slow exactly as I wanted as I don't want to trim every week. I have got my so beloved discus and also some lovely checkerboard ciclids. More than enough fish now

050520141.jpg

050520142.jpg

050520144.jpg

050520145.jpg

050520146.jpg

050520148.jpg

6. don't think that the picture justifies the fish. they are Stendkers and not settled in yet. Nothing to worries.

Back