• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

600L/h rated filter 20L tank - overkill?

Mr.Manjushri

So I'm planning to setup a new small planted tank and am looking for the right filter. Being a big Eheim fan, I've locked my sights on the Ecco pro 200. It's rated at 600L/H, while my tank is 21Litres. Assuming that once filter material is in place, and an in-line heater is added the flow will be reduced by at least 50, it could be ok, couldn't it? Or will I be left with a raging whirlpool where no fish or plant will thrive?

I use an Eheim 2215 on my 20 L tank and the flow is fine. The 2215 is also 600L/H. I use a poppy style Lilly pipe but used the jet style standard Eheim output before and it was still OK. That was only with two filter sponges as well.

It depends how low under the tank you put your filter. But i bet it will be fine. Plus there are many ways to reduce flow.

i have a question that is similar. i have a fluval 405 for my 30UK gallon tank. its does 1300 lph and my tank is 145 liters. its heavily planted. would that be over kill. whats the best method to prim it. people say i shouldnt fill it with water and others say i should. im so confused

gt%203073.JPG

Back