• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

600x450x300 or 762x457x457 ?

DannyH

Hi all,

I'm new to Ukaps and having found it after deciding to set up an aquascape (or at least try to) I've been amazed at the amount of knowledge freely available from such a generous bunch of likeminded people!

Hopefully you'll be able to help me with a couple of questions I have,

I have a rough idea of the setup and end result that I'm looking for, the tank will be 'high tech' and hopefully dry started (eventually stocked with some fish) with the following spec as a base to work on:

2x TMC 500 aqua bars
'Fire extinguisher' CO2
Aheim classic 250 external filter

My first burning question is tank size, as you might have guessed from the title I'm torn between a 600x450x300mm and a 762x457x457mm. (Both optiwhite)

Having had tanks for a number of years (but never planted) I'm not completely new to the implications of a bigger tank inevitably costing more to populate etc. However I've read a post that in the world of aquascaping this can also lend to more stable conditions? My question therefore is are there any reasons not to get the larger of the two?

The two are mocked up currently in cardboard in my bedroom (the latter definitely too big for the room :D) and I'm happy to wait and keep on reading as many journals as possible to get things right.

My second question, Hard Scape. As mentioned above I intend to 'Dry Start' the setup. I have some wood collected from La Reserve in France on my gone summer holiday. They're great pieces but I'm wondering if there are any precautions i should take before adding them? (Ill hopefully be adding moss to them)

Thirdly, Moss/plants. The tanks probably still a month off. Is there anything i can be doing in the mean time with regards to growing anything on?

Any pointers/ advice for a first timer so that i don't have to learn it all the hard way would be most appreciated :)

(Sorry for the long winded first post)

Thank's a lot,

Danny

That's a pretty small filter for tanks that size, even if you were going low tech. You'll either need a power head or a filter with a LPH ten times the size of the tank. So for the 150L you'll be looking at the XL1500.
Bigger gives you more fish stocking options, more room to play, but both have large foot areas so either will be good.

hi danny

if you go for 60cm tank the aquabar 500 is perfect size unless you want a bigger tank you need a longer bar and for the wood you should soak it under water until your ready to add moss on other wise it would float.
your filter eheim 250 is a bit small I have a pro 350 with very good flow or use a classic 600 would be better. for the hardscape have a good look around for scape online be creative.

cheers
ryan

Back