60cm - 90l

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Tom, 19 May 2008.

1. Just started setting up my DIY 60x40x40 this morning, even though I still don't have a filter. All the substrates (Power Sand Special, AS Amazonia, Bright Sand) are ADA, the pipes are Flo Pipes (in need of a clean), drop checker is Boyu and the diffuser is cheap rubbish :lol:

Thought I'd put a couple of pics up, even though it's way off filling with water yet.

60cm2.jpg

60cm1.jpg

Tom

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Promising start!

So what are the plans for it?

3. I want ot try a layout with no hardscape, but will probably end up using some nice bits of wood

Plants front to back:
    The odd bit of Glosso, not a full carpet
    Willow/Java mixed in with Dwarf Hairgrass
    Aponogeton madagasceriensis
    Crypt balansae

Threadfin Rainbows or Lampeye Killies

Tom

4. Arana

Arana Member

Very nice Tom :D

5. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Looks promising ;) good luck

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

cool diffuser 8)

7. beeky

beeky Member

It's be nice to see a Madagascar lace plant in a 'scape. Looking forward to seeing it.

8. Garuf

Garuf Member

Update tom?
    I can't wait to see what you've done with this tank.

9. Not done nuffink mate :( And it's gonna stay like that for a looong time :rolleyes: Tis sitting in the corner of my room on the floor, waiting for me to get some money together for other projects, like a nano paludarium and nano reef (read nano as cheapskate lol ) When I start getting paid for work in a month or so, I might think about the next step

Tom

10. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Member

Interesting and original - a tank with no hardscape. Will be interesting to see how it looks.

Andy

11. Will probably be an update later once it gets dark and there's less reflections to worry about. Still no filling or plants, but I've gone totally away from what I said I was going to do and given it some hardscape :rolleyes: Basically, my 40cm turned out almost exactly how I wanted this one to, so there's no point repeating it. Anyways, I'm quite pleased with how the hardscape has turned out so far - no doubt it'll change more before planting though ;)

Tom

12. jay

jay Member

Have you ever actually used that chisel diffuser?
    Mine was terrible!! Would've have finer bubbles using a straw! :rolleyes:

13. No, haven't yet - but it was only cheap!

Tom

14. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

As difficult as it can be to get the hardscape right, sometimes, it seems to me that it could be even more difficult to use no hardscape.

Dave.

15. Yeah definitely. There's more work in shaping the plants how you want them and getting a solid design. What I had in mind was basically how my original 40cm "Javanese Paradise", minus the sticky-out rock.

16. Garuf

Garuf Member

I use a chisel diffuser on my nano and its the best diffuser I've ever had, the trick is to place the spray bar vertically with one of the outlets pointing into the chisel so that the water spins round and out the top, the mist is so fine it makes (made, the nano is in a state of disrepair) look like a champagne bottle after the lights being on for 3 hours.

17. jay

jay Member

I must've had a dodgy one then.

18. Garuf

Garuf Member

Depends on the tank and co2 pressure, I found I got smaller bubbles with it at a really high pressure. And it depends on the tank of course, the flow across the disk might have been impaired.

19. Here we go then. Not the best pictures in the world, I didn't have a big enough white background!

60-2.jpg

60-1.jpg

Some of the rocks may still move, but most will get pretty much covered by plants anyway once it all grows in.

Tom

20. joyous214

joyous214 Member

ooohhhhhhhh what plants are you putting in?