• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm - English Summer

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Some low-res shots from my 60cm opti-white.

f_fulltankcrom_558661d.jpg

f_florencecrom_be0db6d.jpg

f_blackneonscm_004d782.jpg

f_blackneoncrm_0072e00.jpg

f_otocropm_3241a36.jpg

f_shrimpcropm_085a73a.jpg

Re: 60cm opti-white

Hot Damn that's good George! The composition is really exceptional, the rocks, the plants, quite so much blyxa is perhaps a cop out but its nice, the red it really is quite cheeky but you got away with it. I really can't imagine I could ever beat that. This is the one you entered for ADA, right? Definitely top 500, I'd put money on it.

So Dan, are you going to show us yours or do I have to wait until I am in the UK this weekend and can try to procure a copy of PFK?

Wow! George using red in a composition :?: Hell must have just frozen over :lol:

Brilliant stuff mate!

Cheers,

Thanks, guys.

You can 'blame' Dan for the red. He helped me set this up initially in the PFK studio and we needed some more plants from the LFS. It didn't stay in there long-term but I liked it for a while.

Saw this and Dan Crawford's tank in todays PFK. Both beautiful tanks flying the flag for Blighty in the ADA :D

Have to bring this up though....Why do your pictures in the magazine seem bigger and clearer than the ones in Dan's Article?
You put a word in to the editors or something George? ;)

Really though, amazing tanks.

Thats up to the designers pal, all though George always gets a half page photo LOL
There was an awful lot of photos to go with my article and a lot of text too so to take up a half page with a pic would have meant that George couldn't wax so lyrical about my tank :lol:

Thanks for the comment, i'm chuffed to be in PFK. I had my UKaps product placement in for sure, t-shirt, CO2 bottle and tank logo :lol: UKaps BABY!

jay said:
Saw this and Dan Crawford's tank in todays PFK. Both beautiful tanks flying the flag for Blighty in the ADA :D

Have to bring this up though....Why do your pictures in the magazine seem bigger and clearer than the ones in Dan's Article?
Thanks.

I haven't seen the articles in print yet so cannot comment properly.

All I can say is that all my photos receive the same amount care and attention, whether they're from my own work or not. To submit that I haven't put 100% effort into is something I simply do not do. The same with most things actually.

Great tank George, if I ever change my mind on mine I will start one like this low tech ;) too much prunning at the moment, at least some of the members are getting the benefits of the trims through the post! lol

Keep up the good work over there and on your return we look forward to more great scapes.

Dan Crawford said:
Thats up to the designers pal, all though George always gets a half page photo LOL
There was an awful lot of photos to go with my article and a lot of text too so to take up a half page with a pic would have meant that George couldn't wax so lyrical about my tank :lol:

Thanks for the comment, i'm chuffed to be in PFK. I had my UKaps product placement in for sure, t-shirt, CO2 bottle and tank logo :lol: UKaps BABY!

There is some serious plugging going on in the articles. Got to be done though :D

Just dug out the original set up issue and compared old and new of George's tank.... superb growth, the alternanthera looked so leggy at the start, just look at the vibrancy of it now!
The black neons are perfect for the set up, great choice.

Thanks, guys!

I wonder what the tank will look like in 4 months after my 12 year-old daughter has looked after it...?

Actually, the filter has already bust in my absence, but thankfully Jeremy Gay popped over to fix it for me. Nice to have friends that know what they're doing in times of crisis!

Bagged any medals yet, George? I got one for my sterling efforts on the Italian Riviera at Aviano AFB during Kosovo in the mid 90s. :oops: Didn`t know I was a war hero, did you? It always make me laugh when I come across it. We were given the option of a full ceremony in uniform, or receiving it through the post. I chose the latter!

I have no experience with Blyxa, but it looks as if that could be the only real problem for your daughter to keep on top of.

Dave.

Very nice, love the red accent! is there a journal for this or have I missed it? would love to know all the spec's :D

JOHNNY

No journal. The original step-by-step set up was in the May issue of PFK though.

Tank specs -

Tank and cabinet
60x30x36cm German opti-white (low iron) glass and bespoke cabinet supplied by http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk for feature in Practical Fishkeeping magazine. I understand the same German aquarium manufacturer also supplies ADA, but I don't have the logo. :D

Filtration and heating
Fluval 405 external canister (1300lph) with lily pipes and clear hose. Hydor ETH 200 inline external heater set to 24C.

Lighting
Arcadia overtank luminaire (4 x 24w HO T5) with Arcadia Plant Pro and JBL Nature (9000K) tubes. I only run half the lighting for an 8 hour photoperiod.

CO2
2Kg pressurized system with Rhinox 1000 diffuser. 1 bubble per second with solenoid. Approx 25-30ppm with glass drop checker and 4dKH/bromo blue solution

Substrate
ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia, sloped a little to rear

Ferts
2ml Tropica Plant Nutrition+ per day. 50% water change per week with hard tap water high in NO3 and PO4.

Water parameters
I haven't tested my aquarium water years.

Hardscape
Midori wood and Mini landscape rocks from Aqua Essentials

Plants
Staurogyne sp.
Pogostemon helferi
Crytocoryne wendtii 'Green'
Anubias barteri var. nana
Blyxa japonica
Microsorium pteropus 'Philippine'
Alternanthera reineckii

Fish and inverts
Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi
Otocinclus sp.
Caridina multidentata

Thanks, Dan!

No, not burnt yet, as I work through the night. It's still around 30C though!

BTW, some of you may be interested to know that I'm being interviewed for Aquascaping World, in their next issue. It'll feature most of my aquascapes, from the last five years, and my word count is over 3500! It's keeping me busy out here, and distracting me from missing home too much.

George Farmer said:
interviewed for Aquascaping World

is this a magazine george?

30c at night eh? my wifes gone back home to kazakhstan ( she's russian and not boratz sister :lol: ) she reckons it +45c in the day. you cant go out for more than 5 mins!

she's not gone for good, but when she comes home and see's this optiwhite, she might go for good then :lol:

take it easy george!

saintly said:
George Farmer said:
interviewed for Aquascaping World

is this a magazine george?

Yes mate. It's an online mag, dedicated to international aquascaping. Our very own Tom Messanger and Peter Kirwan (zig) have contributed. Tom does so regularly, and a very fine job he does too!

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/

Back