• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm Iwagumi

saintly said:
Ive just re planted some hc from the henge to my holding tank and its took off magically.

your rock arranging is great planter.

mark

better get the tweezers out then! :D

Cheers

aaronnorth said:
Looking forward to this planter, i love your latest scapes :D

You could try a different style of iwagumi and try to make it look as though all the stones are joined together under the substrate. Its up to you though!

Nice sig aswell ;)

Hi Aron,

Im thinking im gonna go with it pretty much as it is now. But I intend to get a few scapes out of this tank. Ive got a pile of mini landscape rocks that Im itching to put to good use too :) .

Hi Vito,
For me the best possible start to an aquascape is to obtain good hardscape materials. Those rocks may be costly but they will be with you for a long time. When you consider what a reef keeper will spend on live rocks its nothing to spend £50 or more on some nice bits and peices.

Last day of my break so the tanks had to be moved today! Ive probobly moved those rock one to many times now and could have gone on playing rocks forever. After settling for the following scape -

e100e49e.jpg

I took the scissors to The HC in the existing scape and trimmed and replanted, and planted, and planted, and planted, and planted ........ .. .. . .

Never planted HC stem by stem before .... it was a long old process thats for sure. Started last night, filled the tank with enough water to cover the subatrate and went to bed. Started again first thing this morning planting more HC stems. Once I thouhgt Id planted enough stems I started to break down the other tank.
It was always going to be a long day -

2ea093c9.jpg

The water that had sat in the tank whilst planting the HC was syphoned of and Once the tank was is position I filled it with 50% from the old tank and 50% Dechlorinated tap water.
It was quite amazing just how much hair grass had grown from the few stems I planted !!

08da3b97.jpg

There was loads Of HC too, the top of it looked great but underneath was brown and dead as it had never been trimmed.

cd39c0fb.jpg

Where did all that HM come from, I think I only bought one pot!

0d6f6c8d.jpg

I knew the external and the Co2 bottle werent going to fit in the cabinet but at the last minute decided that the filter would go beside the tank with the gas bottle inside. This made piping the filter a lot simpler.

3830659d.jpg

The tank looks sooooo empty..... I must admit im a little bit scared about the low plant biomass I usually plant heavy from the start. The whole base is dotted with HC stems and ive added a few blyxa stems. Dosed with 5 ml flourish excel (initial dose) and 1.5 ml TPN+ ( will dose both daily)

Aaaaaaaaand relax .....zzzzz zzzz zzz z

Nice one mate. I like the way you have presented your photo's, very Ukaps! ;)

Its funny, Ive been looking at your numerous rock arrangements, and all seem very tranquil, but when I looked at your arrangement of choice, I thought " Oooooo theres tension in those rocks. Its funny how the two rocks facing each other change the mood of you scape. So there you go, for me your hardscape makes me tense, lol. Nice job pal!
How are you planning on fighting first stage algae with such a low biomass?

Cheers.

Graeme Edwards said:
Nice one mate. I like the way you have presented your photo's, very Ukaps! ;)

Its funny, Ive been looking at your numerous rock arrangements, and all seem very tranquil, but when I looked at your arrangement of choice, I thought " Oooooo theres tension in those rocks. Its funny how the two rocks facing each other change the mood of you scape. So there you go, for me your hardscape makes me tense, lol. Nice job pal!
How are you planning on fighting first stage algae with such a low biomass?

Cheers.

Graeme,

Like I said mate that Low biomass scares me. I may have to plant some stems to help initialy, Perhaps even a net full of riccia? The gas is cranked right up and I will be dosing Excel daily. I do have a fully established filter so I wont run into some of the problems associated with cyling (touch wood). Glad you like the hardscape, I messed with it so much it started to drive me insane. In the end I just had to fill it! I wont guarantee that it wont change as time goes by :)

Nice update planter, looks like it was a long day and heartbreaking to tear down the old scape... I'm interested to see how it goes with the low biomass - you've even added fish, although I think compared to the new Aquasoil thier ammonia emissions are miniscule. But as you say, a mature filter should be a major bonus.

At the risk of putting the cat amongst the pigeons to my untutored eye it looks somewhat underweight to the right. However I appreciate you've respected the golden ratio and that when the HC grows that may change things, so I will bear with you...

Nice one Planter, all that playing around with your rocks clearly payed off :D

It's a shame to see that scape broken down, it was one of my favorite UK scapes, blew me away if i'm honest.

Good luck with the new one ;)

Nice journal, and love the photography, going to keep an eye on this one, got try these Iwagumi one of these days! Guess I will need a new tank too lol
Keep up the good work and the great scapes ;)

Dan Crawford said:
Nice one Planter, all that playing around with your rocks clearly payed off :D

It's a shame to see that scape broken down, it was one of my favorite UK scapes, blew me away if i'm honest.

Good luck with the new one ;)

You have the final pics of 'lusty glaze' Dan so you know I Got pics of it at its best!! Its in for the AGA so mission acomplished and time to move on. I look forward to putting those pics up on Ukaps when im allowed :D

Ray, Thanks for sticking with me mate - LOL. I picture the right hand side being low with a HC carpet with a nice grassy area up on the hillside, we will see. As for the fish, I will be taking most of them out. It was all I could do to put them in the new tank temporarily so I will reduce waste load very soon.

Aaronnorth, Fingers crossed mate! you will love the pics of Lusty glaze!! cant wait to show them off. I think it was my best scape to date.

Those little HC stem were pearling yesterday .. awwwwwww bless em.

Ark said:
nice iwagumi

how many kilos of dragon stone did you use

and what size is the biggest peice

Hi Ark,

I had a load of dragon stone to hand, much more than I used in this scape, couldnt tell you how many kilos are in this tank??? the bigsest peice is probobly 20/25cm by 10/15cm ???? Sorry not much help.

Back