• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm Riparium

I notice those lights cropping up a lot here and there when you're searching for cheap lums, I quite like their utilitarian austere look, if you want them steve, I posted a link to some on Georges thread for lidl lights that go for £10 each one.

I agree that these economical lights with bare metal have an appealing, utilitarian style. This one goes with the stand that I made for this setup with plywood and steel pipes.

15-iii-10-tank-v-m.jpg

I got some gravel into this tank and snapped a quick picture too. I might still shuffle the plants around some.

17-iii-10-tank-iv-m.jpg

I have a start on the hardscape. I decided to go with the lace rock.

14-iii-10-lace-rock-i-s.jpg

...hope to have pictures loaded soon.

Here is one hardscape idea.

20-iii-10-tank-i-m.jpg

This looks more like something you would see in saltwater. I can try other ideas easily enough. You can see that I need to add some taller plants. I just got a larger stem plant in there and I will look for other additional stuff too. I might add a taller Cyperus.

Thanks you guys!

Here is a bit of a rescape with a stone rearrangement and a couple of new taller plants.

21-iii-10-tank-i-m.jpg

Here is one additional shot.

21-iii-10-tank-iii-m.jpg

I added fish last night and I hope to be back soon with pictures of them. Today they are uncomfortable in their new surroundings and just hiding in the shade beneath the plants.

SteveUK said:
Excellent :) I particularly like the plants on the right side. Whats the plant middle/back? (behind the larger leaf/red tinted plant).

Do you mean the tallest grassy plant? That one is an umbrella sedge, Cyperus alternifolius var. gracilis.

21-iii-10-tank-i-m.jpg

It gets to be a bit tall (~50cm) but that is one of my favorite riparium plants.

Oh that one is a Hyptis sp.. This plant will grow underwater too.

That Cyperus looks like it's really going for it! I like the addition of the submerged plants. Looks a little like needle leaf java? The plant to the left looks like a plant which the name escapes me... Stem plant with long leaves... Gah!

Anyhow, it's looking top notch :)

Oh that underwater plant is willow Hygrophila.

The left-most emersed plant is baby panda bamboo (Pogonatherum crinitum) which is often used as a bonsai subject or accent, but does well in the water too.

11-iii-10-pogonatherum-crinitum-i-m.jpg

Hi all,
It looks really good, I must admit I'm not familiar with either Hyptis or Pogonatherum crinitum as plants, although I have seen dried Hyptis "Brazilian Mint" sold as a painkiller and all round wonder drug. Did you get the plants in the UK?

cheers Darrel

Back