• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60L Nano Cube build

Took advantage of Black Friday to purchase [most of] the equipment needed to start my next tank. I've been keeping fish for over 25 years, but I've never really dabbled with live plants. Wanted to start with a small setup.
r/PlantedTank - Took advantage of Black Friday...
Anyone see any glaring red flags? Might not set up CO2 for V1.00 (still to source a cylinder, diffuser etc.) and start with easy plants. RO unit on the Christmas wish list. Oh, and I'll be pimping the Fluval 207 with Matrix Bio Media.

Will keep you'll posted as to my progress [and failings]. Right now everything is still either in boxes or with DHL. Starting to think about my hardscape...

Will be interesting to watch this thread as I am also looking to get a setup just like this and the 60l Dennerle cube and Fluval Plant Nano are also on my list so far. I know the Fluval lights do come in for a bit of stick from some quarters, but I have an aquasky and plant 3.0 on my other tank and the only thing that i don't like about them is the fact that their bluetooth config doesn't retain after power outages. They seem to grow plants pretty well to me. Of course, I would love an ADA or Kessil but cant justify the cost right now.

I have a spare one of those citric acid/ baking soda setups for co2 which was not good enough for my larger tank but could work quite well for something a bit smaller like this. If that becomes painful, ill probably just tee off my existing fire extinguisher set up.

I was considering one of the cheaper All Pond Solutions canister filters, although cheaping-out on the filter might not be the best idea. Not sure how good these ones really are. The Fluval 207 looks good with a good amount of "stated" flow, although these figures are never all that accurate in real world terms. If i could stretch to it id get one of the Oase with the inbuilt heater as i really dont want any hardware in the tank.

(its easy to get a fire extinguisher on ebay for about £20 delivered - all the other stuff you need is available on co2art)

I know the Fluval lights do come in for a bit of stick from some quarters, but I have an aquasky and plant 3.0 on my other tank and the only thing that i don't like about them is the fact that their bluetooth config doesn't retain after power outages.
Good to know. The vast majority of the reviews I read were very positive. Have used Fluval filters and heaters in all my tanks for years without incident, but this will be my first foray into Fluval lighting systems.

I have a spare one of those citric acid/ baking soda setups for co2 which was not good enough for my larger tank but could work quite well for something a bit smaller like this. If that becomes painful, ill probably just tee off my existing fire extinguisher set up.
I've read about these [on this forum] but I've invested in a dual-stage CO2 system. Having said that, I wish to secure my CO2 supply chain before dabbling with CO2, as I want do avoid disposable canisters if at all possible. 1.5kg canister would be ideal.

The Fluval 207 looks good with a good amount of "stated" flow, although these figures are never all that accurate in real world terms. If i could stretch to it id get one of the Oase with the inbuilt heater as i really dont want any hardware in the tank.
I have deep respect for the Fluval 07 series. I have the Fluval 307 setup with Matrix Bio Media in my 165L cube. It's currently with the Father-in-law because we've recently moved house. He's not kept to such a strenuous maintenance routine (bi-weekly water changes have become bi-monthly), not that you would know. When I check in, the parameters are where I would expected them to be after a week, not two, and I've had no fish loss in that tank for several years. It's a heavily stocked tank, too.

I plan to start building this the week after Christmas, providing I have found myself a hardscape I like. I plan to relocate the 11 Ember Tetras that have called my 165l cube home for the past two years to this new build, alongside some cherry shrimp.

This is the seller from which i get my cylinders if you want a reliable co2 supply chain. A 2kilo one would likely last you at least 6 months on a small tank like that, probably closer to a year.

This is the seller from which i get my cylinders if you want a reliable co2 supply chain. A 2kilo one would likely last you at least 6 months on a small tank like that, probably closer to a year.

@mangeltrueman, thank you very much.

So after a year in the planning phase, I'm almost read to start my new build. It's been delayed by many a month due to the purchase of a new house and the immanent fitment of a new carpet.

This is by far my most complex build, and I'm jumping straight into CO2 and RO water. Here's my most recent hardware list:

1644176105086.png

The hardscape is Dragon stone with Redmoor wood. It will be set off nicely with ADA Colorado Sand and Aqua One Natural Brown Gravel in the foreground. (And probably a ton of algae too, ha).

1644176275276.png

The tank spec has evolved somewhat. For the most part, I'm stocking easy plants, mainly epiphytes at that, and I'm still stocking as a fish tank, hence the pimped out filter. Here's what I'm thinking of planting/stocking:

1644176426875.png

You can check out plans for my hardscape below. It's a little on the uniform side, but I quite like it. Clearly missing the ADA Colorado foreground sand. (The tank is on the wonky side too).
60l_Nano_Angle_1a.jpg
60l_Nano_Angle_2.jpg

Planning on a dry start, but I will be bringing a tray of cycled media from my Fluval 307 tank to give it a boost. Still several weeks away until I do, because the carpet is not being fitted until early March.

Would really like you input into spec, stocking, hardscape, you name it. And of course I will keep you up to date with the trials and tribulations of the build.

Attachments

• 1644175835664.png
    1644175835664.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 1644176164268.png
    1644176164268.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 1644176194375.png
    1644176194375.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hi
It looks like you are doing great at planning before execution.
Few thoughts from me when I look at your mock setup.
The stones look a little uniform and give a brick wall feeling.Once you have substrate in place you can tuck some of them deeper (thats in case you don't want to break some of them so they are different sizes) while some you pull out so they sit higher so the line is not so straight.
Do not forget to pluck some filter floss(sponge)in the cracks between the stones or the aquasoil will spill if you have sth to disturb the substrate.
Also any contact points of the wood with the glass will make your life cleaning arround them difficult in the initial stages as later you may not to have to clean the glass at all(In my matured tanks I hardly ever need to clean glass :) )
In regards of Dragon stone
Usually there is a lot of dry soft clay in the pores.Once they are in the tank for a while it softens up and goes everywhere.
I recommend to soak them in a bucket for few days(a week works for me) and poke with a bamboo skewer under running water to clean them up.You will be surprised how much muck will come out.Maybe powerwashing them once soaked will work too but I prefer to do it by hand.
All the best with your setup :)
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:
Hi @Konsa , thank you for the suggestions and tips for preparing the dragon stone. I will also pre-soak my substrate (in bags) to reduce the ammonia spike, so will soak the dragon stone for a similar period.

With regards to hardscape, I agree it's a little uniform. I tried to break it up but did not find a look I liked. At the same time, the way the foreground pieces interlocked appealed, and I figured with time, the plants might disguise it. I will have another play in the coming days. I've seen quite a few cube tanks adopt a similar 'wall'. I wonder if this is because of the confines of the aspect ratio? I'm going to attempt to break up some dragon stone for 'scree' and might find a nice-shaped stone too.

Will keep you posted as to progress on said build.

Aren't you worried the filter flow would be to much for this tank?

Back