• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60L Shrimp Tank - "Hope"

Good afternoon all.

The external filter arrived today and I have just finished setting it up.

It certainly is well built and the flow rate is very nice - it adds alot of movement to the plans so thats nice to see them swirling around in the current. Wheter or not the shrimp will also be as happy time will tell but I can reduce the flow or point the spray bar at the back.

It is noisy - The pump head is quite rattly I think / hope it is just settling in. Have rocked it gently and get most of the air out. On a scale of 10 I would say its 5/10 noise wise. Right next to my pillow so sleeping may be a problem tonight :(

Put the two filter cartridges from my old corner filter in the media tray to aid the bacteria levels.

Need to tidy up or purchase different spray bars etc - Will have to wait for funds. Space is a bit tight with the Eheim supplied pipes. I could cut them down and may well do but didnt want to botch a hacksaw job so soon :D

I had to pull out one of the Crypts as it had melted badly - No major issue I still have overkill on plants :)

photo.jpg

photo_2.jpg

Overall though once the noise levels lower then I am very happy with my new purchase.

Aim to get shrimps within 2 weeks.

Best wishes,

Murray

I have uploaded a video

(The noise is probably that of the stabilisation motor on my DSLR)

Will clean the "white mould" from the wood and ive the tank a once over - Suspect another Crypt is on the way out.

Going to investigate some Dwarf Riccia to give the shrimps something to go over but also add a bit to the substrate level.

Hope your all well,

Murray

I am under the impression and hope that the noise settles down a bit as the filter becomes established and run in - 1-2 weeks apparently.

It is a bit loud as it stands at the moment - I have wobbled it gently and there is no more air inside. Its more a vibration / hum noise.

Would probably be noticeable inside a cabinet but not by much - In a bedroom under my pillow well I hope the cofee works tomorrow morning put it that way :(

:)

Coffee always work just keep drinking it until it does!

I have or been able to find any info on this so maybe you have thought about it... I want a shrimp tank journal may be up soon and am thinking of starting with 10-20 shrimp but thought it may be best to get 50/50 from different people / sources to have a better breeding pool, Any thoughts?

I myself and under the impression that say you are fine to buy those initial 10-20 shrimp from the one source.

After time you can source more shrimp to add to the gene pool from different sources thus keeping the stock fresh but the initial batch can be bought entirely from one source.

Personally I have had good experiences from Sharnbrook Shrimp & Freshwater Shrimp.

And last but not least welcome to UKAPS Ben :)

I have just had a look at them, look pretty good I kinda want to collect just to see other people's setups :D

Thanks I have been lurking for a while but thought I should make myself heard.

Hi Murray,
Tank is looking nice, I'm sure this one will work out for you :)
Just a note on the crypts, you don't need to pull the whole plant, just remove all the melted leaves and the plant should then produce new submersed leaves :)
Cheerio,
Ady

Thanks Ady your CRS tank is inspirational. I would love to go for some CRS for this tank just unsure it would work out.

There is a small to medium amount of Seiryu stone in there (say 5KG) so that's not ideal

I think the PH is 7.4 but the test kit is a test kit thus not reliable.

Will probably get some practice in with breeding cherry shrimp successfully then I can move onto a simple CRS tank next year.

Last thing I want is to flush more dead shrimp down the toilet for there and my own sake.

Will be nice to see some life in the tank I hope they appreciate it!

I was aware that Crypts melted - This one always looked Ropey and I didn't have much space left so its no big deal at the moment.

No space left for shrimps!!! :D

Many thanks,

Murray

Good Morning all,

Just a wee update for today.

Have had a small outbreak of Planaria / Nematode worms so took about 30L of water out and replaced with fresh. Siphoned up as many of them as I can.

Its very hard to reach to substrate in a lot of places due to the heavy planted and scaped nature of the tank - Maybe that will be my downfall? Im not sure.

I did consider going down to Pets At Home to buy some say Gourami to help clear the worm problem but will probably monitor things.

If I uy fish I dont want them to interfer with the shrimp so I am thinking just to wait another 1.5 weeks let things settle in then buy about 20 Cherry Shrimp. Hopefully they can help clean stuff up also.

On happier notes I re setup my filter and it is running alot quieter than previous so I am very much relived about that. It is still not "very quiet" but hopefully it will bed in.

I have noticed some new growth from the Weeping moss - At this rate I should have the cover I want in 10 years time :D

Just taking things day by day as per usual - Going through a rough patch in the real world so looking forward to progress.

Best wishes,

Murray

Thanks again Paulo! - Appreciated as always.

Panacur purchased - Member of staff was puzzled when asking what animal it was for. "Planaria" :D She was nice about it probably thought another weirdo...

I have dosed 0.6ml into my 60L tank as instructed.

Plan is to order some more weeping moss and maybe some coral pelia for some bare corner areas.

Brief Update:

No sign of Planaria or Nematodes in the tank this morning. There was one floating on the surface so initial impressions are that Planaria and worms are no longer an issue.

Will do a water change Thursday night to keep amonia down from the dead worms (can't see much but better safe than sorry) they are probably in the filter.

Will also do another dose on say Mondsy to try and kill any of the newborn from leftover eggs

Have also purchased 5 portions of 5cm x 5cm Weeping moss from eBay. They will cover some areas of the Redmoor.

Aiming on buying around 20 Red Cherries Mondy 23rd all things going to plan. Take could use a clean up crew to reach certain nooks and crannies.

Thanks for your time,

Murray

Hello Everyone,

Thought I would bring you the latest update about the tank.

I purchased some Weeping Moss on 5x5cm mesh from ebay (Fresh Water Shrimp eBay store) They are for perches in the Redmoor Branches.

Also a few hours ago received a delivery of Christmas Moss from George Farmer which was very nice stuff. Spend a couple of hours putting that on cobbles and slate using hair nets / cable tie underneath and a clear elastic band to help keep it tight to the stones.

Today I will do a 20L water change to try and clear any leftover Ammonia from the second dosing of Panacur (No worms to be seen for a long time so considering it a great success)

Here are the latest photos:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Could really use a clean up crew as the wood / rocks are showing a bit of debris etc. Will be nice to get shrimps.

Plan is to find out the TDS of the water where I will source the shrimp - Get the TDS up to that then purchase around 15 Red Cherry Shrimps by the start of next week.

Filter is performing well - A little bit quieter than previous but just have to go with the flow as they say :)

Very happy with the tank - Hope it works out :)

Best wishes,

Murray

Hey Murray
Any update on how the tank is doing?

For some reason the photos did not look good on my iPad when commuting into London so its taken until now for me to view on the laptop. Wow that sure is some set up you have there for the shrimp. Plus having to sort out the worm stuff at an early stage. How an earth did that happen?

I must admit I have burned through probably £24 worth of Tropica 1-2 pots of moss and never got it stay on the wood and live. I did read another post earlier today where people were suggesting super gluing the moss to the wood. So I am curious about the moss on a mesh. What happens to it? Also isn't most of the moss requiring significant light and CO2?

To have a TDS that low in your tap water must be a dream. I have just decided to go RO and add the appropriate Salty Shrimp minerals to bring the water where it needs to be.

Cannot wait to see you get the shrimp into the tank. I added mine in on Friday and they have (touching wood) survived the weekend. The challenge is now to keep that tank in a immaculate state, keep the TDS constant and the shrimp alive.

Speak soon.
Roly

Hi Roly and everyone.

I haven't had much news to report plus real life is a tad crazy at the moment.

I have been away from home for most of the week.

The tank seems to be fine - Minor issues of note:

A decent sized amount of "mould" coming out the wood. Stones turning a slight off brown due to sediment from replanting (tooth brush helps)

Some small algae issues on the Java Fern in particular. Hair algae mainly.

Planaria are 99.9% gone - That Panacur is superb (0.10ml per 10L of tank) so for my 60L it was 0.6ml over two doses (1 week apart to kill parents then eggs)

Am sure the shrimp will help clean up the tank in general.

The Weeping moss is growing well (about 1cm growth in 2 weeks in low tech)

Need to wait a bit longer and see about the Christmas Moss. All other plants are fine.

20 Red Cherry Shrimp ordered from FreshWaterShrimp due on Wednesday. Ordered some food for them and Salty Shrimp GH+/KH+ to hopefully avoid moulting death issues.

Filter is still noisy - Earplugs help but scared I miss an alarm. When I get time I will have another look at it.

Roly:

Delighted your up and running my friend :)

The Planaria worms are tough little critters going back to the Dinosaurs. Possibly came in on plants - Panacur killed them in hours. Meant to be shrimp safe - I have no shrimp this can't give my angle.

Moss grows in low tech low light tanks just slowly. I doubt it will be as lush as you see I other tanks but I will be more than happy if it gives some depth and food for the shrimp!

I buy it from FreshWaterShrimps eBay shop. You can find it on eBay by putting in Fissidens Fontanus into the search. It's the one that shows up as buy 3 (or 4) get one free in the sub title)

It's great quality attached to the mesh in a fishing line woven grid. Very lush plant and secured. Can do it yourself slightly cheaper but it's a pain in the butt and fingers!

Happy to talk you through mosses if you like chief :)

I live in North East Scotland - The tap water is 37 TDS straight from the tap. It's good stuff I'm not sure what was happening previously but Edward said Sakuras have a tendency not to last due to the breeding. Wouldn't buy them again.

I know you can get RO machinery if I wanted to get into CRS I would explore that option. Just a hassle transporting the containers from the LFS.

Due to the heavy planting I can't do a gravel cleaning very well but I will work it out. Will be nice to get livestock in.

Have been trying since December to work this out. Went straight in with CRS - Was finding my feet and going through a rough time so it didn't work out.

If I could only make this one work it would make me a very happy chap.

CRS when I get a full time job and larger flat :D

If I can assist with Dennerle stuff Roly just shout.

Thanks for your time all!

Best wishes,

Murray

I finally have shrimps!!!

20 RCS - They are on the small side but seem happy in there new home. Due to the layout of the tank its hard to sport many but so far no issues.

Planaria is back will dose Panacur.

Here are some pics:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Tank needs a clean up by myself and the little ones - They are poop factories :D

So I am a happy camper - Just need to wait and see what the future brings :)

Best Wishes,

Murray

Hello Murray,

Lovely planted shrimp tank you have there, I too have a dennerle tank but only 30L and have just started my own shrimp tank, tank is currently cycling as have ADA soil in there. I'm hoping i can get away with using just tap water, as like you can't be arsh with storing obtaining RO water from LFS. My water is pretty soft here in manchester by not sure on TDS level, havent got a TDS tester yet, but know can get hold of one from ebay quite cheaply.

I have yet to added any additive in my tank yet, i note you're using Mosura additive, to be fair i a litltle confuse about which brand i should go with, guess i need to do some more research. I'm itching to get started with shrimp but really need to make sure everything is stable. How long was for you from intial setup and adding shrimp?

Cheers

Steveo

Back