• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60P Manzanita Critique

TooManyRanchus

Hi all, greetings from New York. I'm seeking feedback on my 60P setup which heavily utilizes manzanita wood.

My idea was to have a sand foreground and to plant the back either with crypts or rotala. The hardscape is pushed close to the front to ensure clearance for the light.

Any thoughts on wood or rock placement would be greatly appreciated!

tempImagesf4L72.png

Attachments

• tempImagewv8Xzp.png
    tempImagewv8Xzp.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 105
Check what it looks like from where you are going to view the tank most.

Also, if you are having fish, where are they going to swim. If you have lots of wood occupying the front, you are limiting their swim room in your field of view.

I like what you have created so far, sit with it for a few days looking at it often and amend the bits you feel need to change. Then observe again and repeat, until you are happy. Don’t be in a rush to complete this stage, as once it is planted and have livestock in, it will become a lot more difficult to change.

Is the side going to be view regularly? If yes consider what details you want to see from the sides.

I hope this helps and doesn’t muddy the water.

some amazing pieces of manzanita there and it's looking good, i think the look and position of the 2 upright branches are being dictated more by the look of the emerged part of them than the submersed part, so just make sure you get what from it both inside and outside of the tank (maybe cover each part and look at them independently as well as together if that makes sense)

the right angles of the upright branches isn't very natural but could be softened by planting or epiphytes so i wouldn't worry too much about that, but following the natural curves and flow of the wood may give you other options

main suggestion from me would be plan out your maintenance, i've made the mistake many times in the past where i've left it too tight to properly trim, clean and maintain the tank and it's meant i've bumped into or had to move the wood after a while

since you are going for rotala at the back and sand foreground, maybe move the light so it's more to the back (if not already?) might give you more scope to play about with positioning

Oh and just looked and the side view, it's all very much in a straight line, have you tried angling from either the back or front left corners with the wood at different angles off each other?

Looks great, just be sure to elevate the hardscape before adding substrate. I use 3cm polystyrene or place on top of substrate. That way you won't drown the hardscape.

Many thanks for the feedback. I'll post some pictures tomorrow once I get a chance to tinker!

Any opinions on rotala vs crypts? I'd like to preserve the look of the manzanita branches and was concerned that rotala might overshadow the mid-ground once fully grown in?

Back