• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

6ft Shallow "ish" tank

Andy265

Well, i have returned to planted tanks after switching to marine a few years ago. My original plan was to repurpose my 5ft sumped marine tank into a planted tank but after getting fed up of the time consuming job of scraping coraline algae compiled with spotting a new opti white tank being offered on a good deal i managed to convince my other half that it would make a better centre piece in our front room, soooooo

Delivered yesterday the tank is 180cm L x 60cm D x 45cm H roughly 400 litres full opti white sat on light grey stand, plan is to put frosted film on the back and one side to obscure view of leads and pipework.

I have modified x3 AI prime HD freshwater lights into lamp shades that will be suspended from the ceiling, after having had the UFO looking big blue lights above the marine tank i wanted something that fitted in with the room but gave me full control of the lights (sunset sunrise function) and the ability to adjust light intensity without having to raise and lower the lights, i did look into smart bulbs to achieve this but got a good deal on the AI lights. These you can see in the tank presently.

Haven't decided on my setup yet i have a large amount of wood soaking in the garden which is leaking tannins ( tempted by blackwater setup but like lots of plants ) amongst this wood is a large tree stump that will protrude above the water line and is maybe screaming out for houseplant planting in the top of it ? Like the idea of plants growing out of the tank and around it especially if the tannins stain the water. More research will be needed to decide what i want and more importantly what the other half likes as when i showed her photos of a blackwater tank the response was " why would you want a tank that looks like a puddle"

Stocking like the idea of having large group of schooling nano type fish, suggestions ? a lot will depend how the wood leaches.

Not hugely experienced with planted tanks so a few questions and advice sought whilst in these planning stages, and definitely more questions to come

1) Thinking substrate set up of base gravel, "dirt" compost, sand capped if the tannin allows me to heavy plant , if not heavy planting gravel base with sand cap ?
2) I will be using an FX6 as main filtration but i am thinking about running a smaller canister with just a foam, carbon and purigen to combat the tannins, would this work in the short term to keep staining down ?
3) Can you plant a blackwater scape ?
4) Stocking suggestions ?

If you have read this far thank you and i welcome any input, will be a slow build but will update this as i go, a few pics of how it looks at the moment.
20220219_230343.jpg
20220219_230353.jpg
20220219_134012.jpg
20220219_133833.jpg

Nice tank and I love the hidden AI Primes.
2) I will be using an FX6 as main filtration but i am thinking about running a smaller canister with just a foam, carbon and purigen to combat the tannins, would this work in the short term to keep staining down ?
Sounds from the rest of the post that you are not averse to some tannins, why would you want to keep the staining down? It won't be harmful to your plants or fish.
Regular water changes will keep the water from turning too dark and even if it does, you can always turn up your lights.
The biggest challenge plants face in "real" blackwater is lack of nutrition - places like Rio Negro measure electrical conductivity levels of less than 10 microsiemens, that is almost pure H2O. Unless you want to recreate such a habitat there's nothing stopping you from adding nutrients and growing some greenery, even if your water is tea coloured. You'll have to stick to plants that don't demand high light levels for obvious reasons.

purigen will remove a fair amount of tannins.
planting with tannins is not much of an issue, the plants might recieve a bit less light though. though a true blackwater tank will have very little nutrients, which might be an issue.
4) Stocking suggestions ?
such tanks call for rainbowfish!

I have modified x3 AI prime HD freshwater lights into lamp shades that will be suspended from the ceiling

I like what you've done there with the shades, where did you get them?

One thing though, the Primes do get very warm and rely on the fan pulling in lots of fresh cool air through the top. I'd recommend you drill a load of large holes in the top upper 'bell' part of the shades so they can draw in fresh air, otherwise you are going to get hot air building up inside the shades and potentially pushing your Primes to an early grave.

Last edited:
I like what you've done there with the shades, where did you get them?

One thing though, the Primes do get very warm and rely on the fan pulling in lots of fresh cool air through the top. I'd recommend you drill a load of large holes in the top upper 'bell' part of the shades so they can draw in fresh air, otherwise you are going to get hot air building up inside the shades and potentially pushing your Primes to an early grave.
Thanks shades came from Dunelm, I have been thinking the same think after a few comments so will be stripping the shades back down to drill some holes before hanging them.

Had a bit of time today to play with the tank, 1) electrics in cupboard done x6 double sockets should have enough plugs for everything needed
2) Frosted film applied to back of tank, tank is back on in the photos
3) Light rail mounted to ceiling and test run of lights to see how much light spill into the room and ensure the 3 lights are enough, still need to modify the shades to allow cool air to be drawn in.
Had the wife sat on the sofa to make sure lights can't be seen in the telly and you're not blinded everytime you look at the tank from the sofa. So all good so far, need to modify and align lights and obviously turn the tank round the right way, then start on the scaping.
20220223_112651.jpg
20220223_112657.jpg
20220223_200136.jpg
20220223_200154.jpg

Hi
Setup looks great.
Can't wait to see hardscape and plants in it.
Subscribed ;)
Regards Konstantin

OK, tank now the right way round lamp shades modified with some holes to help cooling, lights levelled and the piping run for the fx6 and a fluval 307 that I may need to run with carbon and purigen as the bog wood is still leaching some serious tannins
Have picked up way to much wood,rock gravel and sand ready for scaping in the next few days just waiting on the aqua soil.
20220224_183258.jpg
20220224_183244.jpg
20220224_183355.jpg

Got bored waiting for aqua soil to arrive so had a little play with some bits tonight and a possible layout I will probably change half a dozen times before settling on something completely different 😆
Wanted to do some emersed growing and houseplants like peace lily, pothos etc. As not done any of that before, planted in the stump and perhaps on the back glass.
Still unsure on the boulder placement have some smaller wood and stones to fill in gaps.
Thinking may need a small wave maker to give me some flow round the back of the scape.
My other idea is to use the large stump in the centre as an island and plant round it.
20220225_200707.jpg
20220225_200804.jpg

Hardscape finished hopefully?
Welcome any suggestions as my first real attempt at an aquascape ( I use the term aquascape loosely as it was more of throw stuff in until I like the look of it)
Placed x20 media bags of alfagrog under the rocks for support and to aid in filtration and raise the centre for emersed planting. 25 litres of JBL manado brown was intending to cover with sand but once in I quite like it, have also placed root tabs in the deeper areas for a slow release of nutrients. Need to find a better way to hide the heater and as much of the plumbing as possible, maybe behind planting. My wife had a great idea with using some fake hanging plants to disguise the wires from the lights hanging down the wall.
Would love some suggestions on what plants and where, I am a complete newb when looking at plants want a good mix of stems and things like crypts, anubias on rock and wood and some mosses, also want a mix of red and greens and some form of carpeting plant. There is no CO2 yet? As trying to keep it simple to begin with but have plenty of lighting.
20220227_221406.jpg
20220227_221414.jpg
20220227_221530.jpg

Hi all
Well a day after getting it wet, success so far no leaks even after modifying the plumbing to incorporate an inline heater, the tannins are not too bad at present but i am running a Fluval 207 loaded with carbon and purigen so hopefully with time and water changes it will get better, although this has kind of split the opinion in the house where some like it and some don't, i am not sure will see after planting how it looks.
One thing not over the moon about at the moment is the JBL manando soil i used i like the colour but on intial fill had a fair amount float, not too bad i thought small net and a bit of time managed to scoop most out. However i am looking at a small school of corydora so as a test i moved the substrate a little with my tweezers that then made some more substrate float up !
Now hopefully the longer it is soaked the better it will stay put but may have to go back to my original idea of a sand cap. Below a couple of pictures of the tank as it stands presently next step will be plant shopping, easy stuff low maintenance bits to start and see how they progress.
20220301_150837.jpg
20220301_150844.jpg

Have now planted the tank with a lot of plants will leave for a few days then slowly livestock, still have a small amount of tannins in the water but will do a big water change next week. Have been adding liquid ferts for the plants as well as root tabs for nutrients as there is no fish yet.
Have started looking at peace lily, ferns mosses and other plants that can be planted emersed but will wait until tank is fully stocked so there will be enough nutrients for everything.
For those that know more about plants than I do a list below, just picked easy plants that will tolerate my lack of experience (hopefully !)

Plants in tank
And probably some i have forgotten already
Cryptocoryne Walkeri
Trident java fern
Cryptocoryne nurii
Aponogeton natans
Rotala Rotundifolia indica
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Mi oya
Anubias Nana Petite
Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata
Christmas Moss
elodea densa
Echinodorus Green flame
Hygrophila siamensis
Ludwiga repens rubin
Anubias consensus round
20220304_105752.jpg
20220303_214642.jpg
20220303_214637.jpg
20220303_214631.jpg
20220303_214623.jpg
20220303_214619.jpg
20220303_214614.jpg
20220303_202438.jpg

Last edited:
The residents are slowly moving in so far 6 pepper Cory, 2 otos, 2 sailfin mollies, 12 and counting guppies and 4 electric blue acara. All fish doing well and have placed an order for a large shoal of cardinal tetra. Tank has started with the brown dust diatom on the rocks and some algae spots on leaves but nothing too bad, still some staining in the water from the large amount of wood that is in the tank. Plants are growing but slowly and resisting the urge to add CO2 have a lot of root tabs in the substrate and daily dosing liquid ferts.
20220316_112922.jpg
20220310_180404.jpg

So a few photos as the lights start to go down for the evening, have added 50 cardinal tetra that are schooling well along with a couple of bristlenose plecos to help with a bit of algae while I get light intensity tweaked. All plants are growing well and have added some house plants as a tester, couple of small peace lily, golden pothos and a fern not sure how the fern will fair so a bit of an experiment it isn't submerged but wrapped in filter floss sat on the back of the tree root with the floss dipped in the water to wick it up.
20220323_214706.jpg
20220323_214721.jpg
20220323_214730.jpg
20220323_214825.jpg
20220323_214840.jpg
20220323_214846.jpg
20220323_214854.jpg

Back