• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

6ft tank, acrylc manufacturers, who/where?

Dan-CR4

I am getting a 6ft tank later this year and thinking of going the acrylic route. The main reason is weight as I live on the 3rd floor with no lift and stairwell is tight and have heard that acrylic tanks are lighter.

anyone got a 6ft acrylic tank, is it lighter?
also what are the pros and cons of acrylic?
can anyone recommend a company that makes or sells this size acrylic tank?

Dan

acrylic is much lighter than glass ( some claim around 40%), also scratches can be polished out of it too . there is a manufacturer that advertises on aquarist classifieds . il see if i can find the link for you

edit: the 1 i was thinking of start at 3000L smallest size . i did find this 1 though . no idea if they are any good as a manufacturer or not though but worth a call .

Acrylic tanks, Sumps and stands, Custom, Bespoke at Aquarist Classifieds

The weight of the water is your main problem not the weight of the tank ;)
Don't think it'll be full when he's carrying it to the 3rd floor! Lol

Pmsl, all I saw was 3rd floor and thought of the weight on the floor up there lol

Don' worry I carried a 6x2x2 double base 12mm up to a 3rd floor with my little mate years ago and its not that bad, get some glass suction grips because when those hands start to sweat that is when you will be in trouble.

Just have some good thick foam so you can up end the tank at each break in the stairs and turn it round them :)

It's not very often you get an offer like that.:)^^^

Hi Dan,

both of my largest tanks are made from Acrylic. I used Neptunes both times. They are also who TGM used to build thier large display tanks.

There is one negative with Acrylic and that is that it scratches easier than glass. However you can remove those scratches while you cant easily remove glass scratches. Price is not good for smaller end tanks, but large tanks it usually works out all things considered. I am not quite sure where a 6x2x2 would fit since while it is quite a large tank, its not massive.

It is about half the weight of glass, better clarity than optiwhite, much, much stronger. If a glass aquarium where to accidently drop when carrying, it will likely crack, acrylic you are more likely to scratch or scuff it.

Neptunes Acrylic Tank Manufacturers

There are not very many manufacturers in the UK. Fista would not build my large tank and I think he is a one man band. Still I think your tank is within his size category/capability. There is/was another in the Birmingham area, but this company took too long to respond to queries. I actually got to speak to the owner, he seemed nice, but then never answered my emails again. So I wont recommend that one otherwise you may never get a tank.

Thanks everyone for your replies,
i did find this 1 though . no idea if they are any good as a manufacturer or not though but worth a call .
Acrylic tanks, Sumps and stands, Custom, Bespoke at Aquarist Classifieds
Thanks for the link, Have just emailed them for a quote. will see what they come back at and see if they got a gallery of their work.

As far as im aware fista filtration are said to be the best in the uk
Thanks for that, I emailed them and they replied very quickly with a quote, and at the weekend. also their website you gave shows some nice tanks. the quote was good. so will see what the others come in at.

If your London way let me know and I'll come and take an end ;)

Thanks Danny, think i got the help covered, but do appreciate the offer, but If friends blow me out I might get in touch :cool:

Hi Dan,

both of my largest tanks are made from Acrylic. I used Neptunes both times. They are also who TGM used to build thier large display tanks.

There is one negative with Acrylic and that is that it scratches easier than glass. However you can remove those scratches while you cant easily remove glass scratches. Price is not good for smaller end tanks, but large tanks it usually works out all things considered. I am not quite sure where a 6x2x2 would fit since while it is quite a large tank, its not massive.

Hi Sanj,

seen both your tanks, and your 1600 litre is a monster and a half, but so beautiful with it, would love one like that, but would need to take out my front windows and hoist it up 3 floors to get something that size in my flat, also dont think the missus would allow something that big, but I can dream. thanks for the link, I have just emailed them for a quote.

Well Acrylic is certainly looking a realistic option for me, as if I get glass i would want opti white, which adds a bit more, also wont be getting any tank after, unless we were to move, which is not in my plans. I try to be carefull with my tanks and try not to be too heavy handed so hopefully I would not scratch it and I have no children living at home anymore and the wife wont touch the tank, so if it does get scratched, it will be down on me :(

again thanks everyone for the replies and the links. its really appreciated:thumbup:

well between glass with opti white front and acrylic (different companies) Acrylic is coming in around £230 more
but Fista are the only Acrylic quote I got so far, Neptunes and a couple of others aint gave me a quote, still waiting on them.

Quotes I got so far are

Neptunes quoted me £1695 for a 72"x24"x23" Acrylic tank.
Fista quoted met £570 for a a 72"x24"x24" Acrylic Tank.

still waiting on a few other quotes

That is quite a difference. Is there a 1 missing there?
No those are the prices quoted to me so far, am expecting another 2 quotes from other companies.

Thats an unbelievable difference !
Yes im surprised in the price difference, it seems that Fista is a hell of a lot cheaper than Neptunes.

update :
I have emailed Neptunes and they have confirmed the price. again dont understand the big price difference between them and Fista.

Back