• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

70 Gal Manzigumi take 2

George Farmer said:
Very nice.

I the belem hairgrass slower growing than parvula and acicularis?

Yep, but unlike those two types, needs no trimming.

1852cfe9.jpg

This the plant. AFA, a local ADA distributor for the USA, said it "grows real slow", but I've not had that issue, nor many folks. Good CO2 and dosing, it ends up being a very dense 2-3cm thick rug.

Unlike the other 2 types you mention, this type recurves over, never getting tall.
So no trimming it required.

This makes getting algae, moss, Riccia etc out of the grass much harder though. I can easily use a fine toothed comb for the straight leave species, but not the belem. The curved blades/leaves are not uniform so it makes mat you cannot comb out.

Nice work, this hairgrass stays smaller than parvula then?
I had some japan parvula version it also recurved but had quite long stems so was not looking so nice.

plantbrain said:
taggerz28 said:
Loving the rock layout, cannot wait to see this one when its planted.

Also, excuse my ignorance but what does Manzigumi mean?

It is not rock, it is wood. Manzanita, manzy for short.

Ahhhh, thank you.

Looks stunning!

Radik said:
Nice work, this hairgrass stays smaller than parvula then?
I had some japan parvula version it also recurved but had quite long stems so was not looking so nice.

About 1/3 the size.

Ealtine hydropiper was considered, but I do not have enough .......yet.
And I prefer a lower maintenance plant I'm comfy with for now.

Elatine is also great plant I have nice carpet in nano it is better than glosso I think, never grows upwards and does not spread very rapidly for me. You can buy from EU some in-vitro pots ;)

Radik said:
Elatine is also great plant I have nice carpet in nano it is better than glosso I think, never grows upwards and does not spread very rapidly for me. You can buy from EU some in-vitro pots ;)

Yes, I already have a nice mat formed in my 120 Gal tank, eventually this will grow enough and need trimmed, then I can replant if I think it'll have the look I am after.

I think for the CRS, the hair grass might be better.

Update, just look at all those Celestial pearl danios. All 40 of them just out swimming. Even with this design, those damn fish hide and it's just a ghost tank.
Well, I'm getting rid of them.

Grass keeps getting thicker and thicker, still only about 1/2 way, but the general look is already there:

With a flash
453bfd13.jpg

Without Flash:
20c957f2.jpg

I was wondering where are the fish. What are you going to try next? :)
The tank looks very nice Tom, I really like the contrast between plants and hardscape.

malawistu said:
rally nice filling out well iv found pencil fish to stay in mid water

Fish and dry chips with an open top tank, pencils jump really well.

faizal said:
Tom,..what's your PAR at the substrate level. Are you planning on adding any stems?

I knocked it down recently, was about 60, now it's about 40umol

mvasingh said:
Hi Tom
How long are your lights on for?
How do you keep the wood so clean?

MIKE

8 hours, with a 0-30% ramp over 2 hours in the start and then a ramp down for 30%-0% in the evening.
4 hours at 30% midday.

Wood is not an issue to keep clean if you do decent size water changes.

a2a3a009.jpg

Next week I'll add new fish and remove the CPD's, and add the CRS SSS grades.

Back