• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

70L tank - stocking advice

Sara_Notfors

Hi all,

I’ve been running my 70L tank for about 9 months now (first aquarium as an adult!) and have 9 black neon tetras, 2 rummy nosed tetras and two Otocinclus. It’s well planted and I have bog wood (light brown water), and running an aqua one cf1000.

I’ve been having issues with the rummy nosed tetras disappearing. The last three were purchased a couple of weeks before I went away for a few days, with the fish being looked after by a friend who also has an aquarium. When I got back they were gone with no sign of a body. Any ideas of what cooks have happened to the rummy nosed tetras?

I’d like to get at least 4 rummy nosed tetras so that the existing two will feel more comfortable and be able to shoal. Should I add more?

Water parameters are:
NH3 - 0
NO3 - 20mg/l
NO2 - 0mg/l
GH - 6
KH - 5
pH - 6.6 (I live in Edinburgh and we have a low pH)

20% water changes once a week.

Thanks,

Sara

Last edited:
If they were purchased relatively recently then it could well be bad fish stock and/or they didn’t cope with the journey from the LFS well, if the other two seem to be doing well then I would think you could add more as you say. 20% water changes are not massive and I’d suggest you need to up this to keep higher stocking levels. There is more in the water than we test for. I’d be going for at least a third and would recommend 50%

Thanks for the advice Matt!

it turned out the fish had been sucked into the external filter when the surface skimmer got pulled under the water surface and stuck. Covered the skimmer in tights to prevent it happening again.

All the drama happened yesterday! The fish all seem fine. Spotted one with something white on its belly last night, but I can’t spot him today.

I think I’ll start doing 20% water changes 2-3 times a week. As I’m using bucket it’s easier if it’s a bucket amount each time, which is 14L.

Back