• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

7gal Shrimp only - "Forgotten Glade"

Re: 27 litre - Shrimp only tank.

Love the 'scape there, really goods use of the wood, rather than going for the usual 'stick it in the ground and let it stick out everywhere' approach. Could look real nice when it grows out. Guna be happy shrimp :)

Shrimp arrived at 12.30, and all looked to be healthy, all hiding in the moss LD had included in the bag (nice looking taiwan moss!) I get them into a plastic container and floated it on top of the aquarium, and acclimitised them for a few hours. I have also swapped the filter over from the Eheim 2213 that was on it to the Eheim pro 2222 which I intend to be the main filter for this tank. The main reason was that I was worried the 2213 had un-cycled seeing as it had been running on the tank with no inhabbitants for a good week or so. The other reason is I plan to use that filter on a slightly larger tank ;)

Anyhow, I almost forgot to cover over the end of the filter intake to prevent shrimplets being sucked into the filter. I used a section of cloth mesh from an old breeding trap I had kicking about. I rolled it over the inlet strainer and tied it off at the bottom. I then tucked the remainder of the mesh at the top and trapped it inplace when I put the strainer back onto the intake tube. Should work a treat :)

Anyhow, enough blabbering. Here are a few pics :)

CRW_5106.jpg

One of the larger shrimps:
CRW_5107.jpg

My favourite angle. I've added a few more smaller bits of rock behind the P. helferi and under one of the overhanging "roots". Small pieces but I think they've added to it:

CRW_5108.jpg

And an overall shot:
CRW_5110.jpg

Too lazy to rotate the photos and crop them :lol:

Just want to say thanks again to LondonDragon for the shrimp. I just have to pay him now :D

jay said:
Love the 'scape there, really goods use of the wood, rather than going for the usual 'stick it in the ground and let it stick out everywhere' approach. Could look real nice when it grows out. Guna be happy shrimp :)

Thanks! When I first set this wood up I set it up as a tree:

Tree_scape_april_01.jpg

It looked great but I didn't keep on top of the moss, and it got way too over grown. Would of looked a lot nicer if I'd kept it in check. Still, I think it was too big for the tank that way around :)

I'm amazed at the difference the new tube is making. So much brighter! I've also noticed new growth on the Fissidens and the weeping moss which has made me happy :)

SteveUK said:
jay said:

Thanks! When I first set this wood up I set it up as a tree:

Tree_scape_april_01.jpg

It looked great but I didn't keep on top of the moss, and it got way too over grown. Would of looked a lot nicer if I'd kept it in check. Still, I think it was too big for the tank that way around :)

I'm amazed at the difference the new tube is making. So much brighter! I've also noticed new growth on the Fissidens and the weeping moss which has made me happy :)
I loved that scape...

SteveUK said:
Shrimp arrived at 12.30, and all looked to be healthy, all hiding in the moss LD had included in the bag (nice looking taiwan moss!)
Glad they all arrived safe and well :) it was pretty chilly out there last night. Its Xmas moss by the way ;)

Thanks guys :)

Ahh, I thought it was the nice taiwan moss you tempted me with pics of :lol:

All looking fine this morning, still a bit of zipping around the tank and exploring going on. Plenty of nooks and crannies for them to explore :)

Not really seen them going for the few pellets I've put in, but they seem happy enough scouring the substrate/wood/leaves at the moment, so I think I'll hold off any more feeding for a few days and see how it goes.

Everything seems to be going ok so far. I've seen the odd shrimp casing suggesting they're moulting happily. Plant wise, few dead leaves on the P. helferi, but they're maily lower leaves which I suspect got damaged during planting (fiddly stuff to get into the substrate!) Lots of green tips to all of the moss too!

One thing I have notices with the P. helferi is that the new growth on the top seems to be almost white. It almost looks like a powder coating, for want of a better description. Could this be a defficiency of some sort? The rest of the plant looks healthy and a nice bright green colour...

My dosing is a bit all over the place which makes me wonder.

SteveUK said:
One thing I have notices with the P. helferi is that the new growth on the top seems to be almost white. It almost looks like a powder coating, for want of a better description. Could this be a defficiency of some sort? The rest of the plant looks healthy and a nice bright green colour...

My dosing is a bit all over the place which makes me wonder.

Yes, you can see it starting to happen in your photos above - weird! Do they stay white, or do they green up as they get older? I've never seen anything like it!

Mark

They seem to be still white at the moment, though the ribs and veins of the leaf seem to be normal green. It sort of looks like the white is comming away from those areas. I need to have a closer look.

I'll try to take a few pictures this evening.

the tank looks so much bigger then it actually is.
you have managed to fit alot into that 27litre cube, it looks good also.
what have you got in mind for fish.
im thinking some sort of microrasbora?

Nabhan Khan said:
the tank looks so much bigger then it actually is.
you have managed to fit alot into that 27litre cube, it looks good also.
what have you got in mind for fish.
im thinking some sort of microrasbora?

Thanks mate :) I'm really please with the scale of it.

I had originally thought about some sort of microrasbora. I have Rasbora Maculatus in another tank, and they're a wonderfull tiny fish, but I decided to go shrimp only, with the hope of breeding cherry shrimp (shouldn't be too hard apparently).

I've seen one shrimplet today! Tiny little blighter :lol:

I'm getting a few small patches of diatoms on the front glass, and a little GSA too. Also seeing a few small bits of hair algae on the fissidens at the front on the slates. Not much though.

I really need to get a dosing regime down and stick to it! I plan to do a water change tomorrow and have it sorted by then, and then I'll stick to that :)

I'll try to post some pics too. I've just noticed how much the slates have filled in! Also, the bolbitis seems to be unrolling a few new leaves/shoots too. I think that the floating riccia is blocking out reasonable amount of light, but I think this is working to my advantage, stopping any massive algae outbreaks at this early stage... I'm considering chucking a few of my nerite snails into this tank as additional tank cleaning crew :)

Fingers crossed eh?

I'm wondering what sort of background I should put onto this. I've used greased proof paper before and it works quite well at giving a frosted effect, but I'm not keen on the browny colour this gives. I don't know if I should try and make this gloomy or try to brighten it up. I think gloomy is probably the way to go, seeing as it's quite a nice looking "stump" and stuff.

Still can't think of a name. Something mystical/dark I think but just can't find the words... :rolleyes:

I managed to count 4 shrimplets this morning :) Added a Nerite snail to help out with glass cleaning. GSA is starting to take hold a little, so going to do a water change this evening.

My dosing regime starting this week will be:

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - 1ml TPN+
Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 1ml TPN

1.5ml Easy Carbo daily.

Rest/Water change Sunday. Anyone think this is overkill? Maybe drop the TPN to twice a week perhaps?

Back