• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

8 year lurker - refreshing my existing tank

GQsmo

Hi,
thought I would introduce myself as I am about to actually start posting. Came across UPAPS when i started my first planted tank in 2014. I just read the threads of others, to the point that I never even registered! Bought ready mixed power ferts from a guy on here too.

Low tech tank run satisfactorily for around 4 years, then a very slow decline for 3 years until the point it dawned on me it didn't look ok any more. Not content with just putting in new plants and fish, it's been waiting for me to dedicate the time and energy into looking at all the aspects before refreshing it. During the waiting, more fish died (all fish over 5 years old) and I got cyanobacteria for the first time ever, which I neglected for too long, but cured eventually with large water changes and a blackout.

Question - I have a number of 8 year old plants still surviving - my Anubias and Buca look their age, especially where old leaves have been affected by a coating of cyanobacteria. I also have a Crinum thaianum and Aponogeton Madagascariensis that continue to survive but don't thrive.
Can anyone point me to threads or articles on what I can do with very old plants to reuse/revitalise them - I know a lot on here would bin them and start again but it's not my ethos to bin things that can be re-used with time and effort.

Thanks.

Back