• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

80cm - Tales from the crypts.

Steve Smith

Ok, I can't think of another name, so this will surfice for now! :)

Some may know I've been wanting to move my livebearers and other fish from their 60cm tank as it was getting crowded. Over the weekend I've been prepping and finally, today I've got it up and running :)

Here are some pics:

The layout I'd decided on yesterday:

layout_front.jpg

layout_side.jpg

One large lump of Microsorum "Needle". This started out as a load of small rizhomes bought from AquaticMagic last year I believe, left overs from the larger bunch. They have since grown a lot! Probably 5x as much there. The best part is they have been shoved at the back of the 60cm tank so I've not really noticed how much they've grown...

microsorum_needle.jpg

They have also seemingly started growing some odd shapes on the ends of a few of the leaves, similar I guess to "Windelov" variety, very cool!

microsorum_needle_odd-01.jpg

microsorum_needle_odd-02.jpg

And a "final" shot after I'd finished filling it:

final_filled.jpg

As you can see, I adjusted the right hand wood. To be honest, I had problems keeping it steady. There are now several small bits of AE aquascapping rock holding it up :lol:

Stats wise, not much to say really. Still a work in progress. I'm hoping I can continue the very easy maintenance of the 60cm, which had no CO2, TPN+ every now and then and a water change once or twice a month. I might up the maintenance on this though as I suspect I won't be that lucky with it!

So:

Ehemi Pro 2222 filter (temporary, will swap out for my Tetratec EX700 when I can)
2x 18w T8 tubes (need replacing and need reflectors) - Arcadia i-Bar
Topica substrate topped with Unipac Zambezi sand
Microsorum "Needle" and another (not sure if it's normal or another)
Crypt. Parva/Wendtii/Balansae/Other (not sure, will get ID)
"Flame" moss/Other moss.

I'll be having the Hydrocotyle floating again as I really liked how this looked, and it gave it a nice moody feeling :)

Now all I have to do is move the fish! Just waiting on the water to warm a little more :) Oh, and I'm considering a way to mount the light unit higher.

PM said:
Looks good, :) but how is that wood even standing?

Have you strapped it down or something??

EDIT: Oh, I just read the description ;)

The wood on the left actually has a prong that is in the sustrate, so it stands pretty well. It's the one on the right I had problems with!

I've just finished moving all the fish and thankfully they're all settling in OK. The Cory Habrosus seem a little freaked. They're mostly all bunched up in a group. They should be fine tomorrow though :).

It's really nice to be able to see the fish! They were so well hidden in the last tank, with the Hydrocotyle filling in the top level. This tank is deeper. I've also managed to raise the light bar so I can raise the water level another inch.

Actually, as I type this, the corys are all starting to swim about on the sandy area :) Also, the guppys are chasing each other around as normal. I'm hoping the redline rasbora become more active. They didn't have a whole lot of room to swim in the last tank, and seem to be enjoying the space.

The coffee beans look great shoaling mid-front. Not too close together but nice to see them seperate into two groups, then join up again.

Thought I'd add some pics from this morning (I really should be on the way to work by now :lol: )

Full frontal:
full_front_01.jpg

Rasbora shoaling:
shaoling.jpg

rasbora_shoal.jpg

Gouramis eyeing each other up (nice blue eyes):
sparkling_gouramis.jpg

Another full frontal. The tank is sitting on a shelf full of vinyl... Hope it doesn't leak!
full_front_02.jpg

I need to add more plants around the edges of the "path" area to hide some of that zambezi sand. Any suggestions for low maintenance, mid/low light plants of the small bushy kind? What about Staurogyne? (I have some of this to hand ;))

Hi Steve
Tank looks really good, and as the plants get established will look even better. Staurogyne as a good foreground tank as long as you can give it med to high light levels, as it is related to Hygrophilia which also prefers stronger lighting. For other options, have a look at cryptocoryne parva, cryptocoryne wendtii tropica which like medium light or maybe Micranthemum micranthemoides which is commonly known as Baby Tears for a different leaf shape all together.
As you have Hydrocotyle you could also use Hydrocotyle leucocephala as a foreground plant as it tends to creep along the substrate, it would need regular pruning, but would tie in with your other plants.
Have fun planting :D
Cryptking

Do you want my crypts? I reckon a fiver should be more than enough if you do.

Thanks anyway Garuf (see other post).

Thinking of adding CO2 to this. I have all the gear available so why not eh? I may also swap the filter out sooner rather than later, as the Eheim Pro 2222 is quite under powered. I could either stick on my EX700, or a Fluval 204 I have kicking about... Might go with the EX700 :)

Back